Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday night, Est. time - 1:30am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray vanquished by history 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray vanquished by history

(Read 9966 times)
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #210 on: July 19, 2012, 02:24 AM »

Also did anyone read Des Lynam, in the telegraph on Saturday ? Saying Andy shouldn't of cried and I quote " we have seen Federer shed tears at the end of GS  but there is a difference , it was only when he won" !!!! I don't think Des watched 2009 aus open when Fed was runner up to Nadal!! I have rung and written to the telegraph and told them perhaps they should get the facts right before putting it in print. I await a response.   shocking

Good for you Deb. The article is absolute nonsense. The point seems to be that Andy should not have cried because some guy called George is in a wheelchair. Our boy should have remembered that we live in a world of famine, wars and disasters. Yes, shame on you Andy.

I remember my mum and I meeting a neighbour 3 weeks after my brother died.  She said to my mother, ".. at least you have other children. Some women aren't so lucky." I guess the author of this article would agree with my neighbour. Shame on my mum for grieving for her child.

Even if the author was correct and Federer only cried tears of joy when he won what difference does that make? You can forget about George, war and famine as long as you're winning.

Wasn't Federer a 13 slam champion when he burst into tears at the AO?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #211 on: July 19, 2012, 03:29 AM »

I actually felt sorry for Federer that day. Can't be hard on someone who's heart is breaking at that moment because it's so genuine and so raw even if I don't like the person even one bit, but there's nothing like genuine emotion and am a big fan.

But anyway, is our Andy the cutest player ever? So cute, so adorable, so charming ...just totally out of this world.
I did have a degree of sympathy, but he should have done what Andy did and just shut up as quickly as possible instead of speaking not only once but twice - but of course Fed loves the sound of his own voice.   From the look on Mirka's face it was like she was thinking "OMG what's coming next!"

Of course Andy the cutest player ever wub although not when was throwing tantrums on court, something which Lendl seems to have knocked out of him.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #212 on: July 19, 2012, 09:52 AM »

Also did anyone read Des Lynam, in the telegraph on Saturday ? Saying Andy shouldn't of cried and I quote " we have seen Federer shed tears at the end of GS  but there is a difference , it was only when he won" !!!! I don't think Des watched 2009 aus open when Fed was runner up to Nadal!! I have rung and written to the telegraph and told them perhaps they should get the facts right before putting it in print. I await a response.   shocking

Bravo Deb clap
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #213 on: July 19, 2012, 12:08 PM »

I'd be worried if that oaf Clarkson were saying supportive things about Andy.  Whistle
Hope they print your complaint Deb - well done.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #214 on: July 19, 2012, 12:57 PM »

Good for you Deb. The article is absolute nonsense. The point seems to be that Andy should not have cried because some guy called George is in a wheelchair. Our boy should have remembered that we live in a world of famine, wars and disasters. Yes, shame on you Andy.

I remember my mum and I meeting a neighbour 3 weeks after my brother died.  She said to my mother, ".. at least you have other children. Some women aren't so lucky." I guess the author of this article would agree with my neighbour. Shame on my mum for grieving for her child.

Even if the author was correct and Federer only cried tears of joy when he won what difference does that make? You can forget about George, war and famine as long as you're winning.

Yes he was on 13 GS 's  couldn't understand him carrying on!! Greedy!! He cried so much he couldn't get any words out!! But it just made me so mad to see Des Lynam write that, I am still waiting for a response and will not be letting it go , will let you all no what happens.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #215 on: July 19, 2012, 12:59 PM »

I actually felt sorry for Federer that day. Can't be hard on someone who's heart is breaking at that moment because it's so genuine and so raw even if I don't like the person even one bit, but there's nothing like genuine emotion and am a big fan.

But anyway, is our Andy the cutest player ever? So cute, so adorable, so charming ...just totally out of this world.
sorry but I didn't  Emma he had already won 13 !!!
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #216 on: July 19, 2012, 01:02 PM »

Will keep you all posted, haven't heard anything yet!!! And I rang and wrote on Monday so we will see.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #217 on: July 19, 2012, 01:41 PM »

Well ,just had a phone call from the Telegraph , saying my complaint !! Has been sent to the editorial team who will be in touch.   : Boxing
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #218 on: July 19, 2012, 04:02 PM »

I remember my mum and I meeting a neighbour 3 weeks after my brother died.  She said to my mother, ".. at least you have other children. Some women aren't so lucky." I guess the author of this article would agree with my neighbour. Shame on my mum for grieving for her child.

Hi All,

I knew there was an article I meant to comment on!

I was cross with Des because I'm disabled and in a chair permanently. That might sound weird, but the implication was that George was somehow this brave superhero type purely by virtue of being disabled. What a load of utter rubbish, and quite patronising when you think about it. I tell you, I'm disabled and whilst you have to get on with life, it is for living after all, if I'm having a bad day I don't hide it or slip in to martyr mode, why should I? People are people, we all deal with things differently, including pain, sadness, grief and loss, all of which I've gone through, just like all of us will at some time.

The thing that struck me about Andy was that I didn't think his tears were entirely about the loss, although it was part of it. I honestly think the thing he was so overwhelmed by was the support he received, from the public, but also from his team around him. My heart went out to him, in fact I wished I could have put my arms around him, when he couldn't look at his team when he was thanking them for their support. I just think it shows so well how much he cares about what he does, how he so wants to win, and also what a decent young man he is.

I should also say that seeing Kim Sears so upset choked me up as well. It must be tough to see someone you love go through what Andy did and know there is nothing you can do to help.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #219 on: July 19, 2012, 05:31 PM »

sorry but I didn't  Emma he had already won 13 !!!

I know, I know! lol. But I could see why he got so emotional. He'd lost 3 times in a row to the same guy and he had a specific goal (to break Sampras' record) and it seemed, at that time, nearly impossible to achieve it with Nadal around. In any case, my feelings lasted about 10 seconds. lol.

But what a turnaround in the same year when Nadal got ousted by Soderling at RG and withdrew from Wimbledon. Federer then went on to win both RG and Wimbledon and was able to broke Sampras' record at the same time. I'll go on record to say that tennis-wise that was my 2nd saddest year. First one was when Pete retired. 
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #220 on: July 19, 2012, 05:34 PM »

I did have a degree of sympathy, but he should have done what Andy did and just shut up as quickly as possible instead of speaking not only once but twice - but of course Fed loves the sound of his own voice.   From the look on Mirka's face it was like she was thinking "OMG what's coming next!"

Of course Andy the cutest player ever wub although not when was throwing tantrums on court, something which Lendl seems to have knocked out of him.

I loved that Mirka! lol but lately she looks worried most of the time and I don't get it. lol
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #221 on: July 19, 2012, 06:57 PM »

Hi All,

I knew there was an article I meant to comment on!

I was cross with Des because I'm disabled and in a chair permanently. That might sound weird, but the implication was that George was somehow this brave superhero type purely by virtue of being disabled. What a load of utter rubbish, and quite patronising when you think about it. I tell you, I'm disabled and whilst you have to get on with life, it is for living after all, if I'm having a bad day I don't hide it or slip in to martyr mode, why should I? People are people, we all deal with things differently, including pain, sadness, grief and loss, all of which I've gone through, just like all of us will at some time.

The thing that struck me about Andy was that I didn't think his tears were entirely about the loss, although it was part of it. I honestly think the thing he was so overwhelmed by was the support he received, from the public, but also from his team around him. My heart went out to him, in fact I wished I could have put my arms around him, when he couldn't look at his team when he was thanking them for their support. I just think it shows so well how much he cares about what he does, how he so wants to win, and also what a decent young man he is.

I should also say that seeing Kim Sears so upset choked me up as well. It must be tough to see someone you love go through what Andy did and know there is nothing you can do to help.

Totally agree with you Teejay - I'm sure Andy was overwhelmed by the depth of support for him.  Who could fail to be moved by the best part of 15,000 people chanting your name - I don't think that's ever happened on Centre Court before.  Although I'm not disabled, I also felt Lynham's remarks were patronising, so I was interested to read that you did too.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #222 on: July 19, 2012, 07:16 PM »

I know, I know! lol. But I could see why he got so emotional. He'd lost 3 times in a row to the same guy and he had a specific goal (to break Sampras' record) and it seemed, at that time, nearly impossible to achieve it with Nadal around. In any case, my feelings lasted about 10 seconds. lol.

But what a turnaround in the same year when Nadal got ousted by Soderling at RG and withdrew from Wimbledon. Federer then went on to win both RG and Wimbledon and was able to broke Sampras' record at the same time. I'll go on record to say that tennis-wise that was my 2nd saddest year. First one was when Pete retired. 

Haha yes Emma true, Andy had just lost to Fed for the 3rd time !!
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #223 on: July 19, 2012, 07:20 PM »

Totally agree with you Teejay - I'm sure Andy was overwhelmed by the depth of support for him.  Who could fail to be moved by the best part of 15,000 people chanting your name - I don't think that's ever happened on Centre Court before.  Although I'm not disabled, I also felt Lynham's remarks were patronising, so I was interested to read that you did too.
Yes agree with you Alis and Teejay, can't stand people writing about things they no nothing about , and to add insult to injury be patronising as well.   ranting
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Murray vanquished by history « Reply #224 on: July 19, 2012, 10:30 PM »

My main problem with Federer is that he shows so little empathy for his opponent when he wins.  To wear that jacket when he beat Roddick was just crass.  I remember Rafa thrashing Federer at RG and he barely celebrated.  I'm not suggesting that any player should curtail (well, not too much) their big moment but when you've won 16 slams do you really need to fall to the ground like a big girl when you win another?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »