Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray victorious in battle of Britain 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray victorious in battle of Britain

(Read 1725 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray victorious in battle of Britain « on: October 26, 2005, 05:12 PM »

Andy Murray will take on Tomas Berdych in the second round of the Swiss Indoors tournament today not before 7:00BST PM - discuss here.

Thursday's Coverage: Eurosport  is likely to broadcast the match.

Andy Murray managed to overcome his childhood hero today, beating Tim Henman in one of the most exciting matches in British tennis this year. The 18-year-old beat the current British no1 6-2 5-7 7-6 (7-4) in a nail-biting match where both player's were very inconsistent throughout.

The BBC reports:
Andy Murray signalled an impending change in the guard of British tennis by beating number one Tim Henman 6-2 5-7 7-6 (7-4) at the Swiss Indoors.

The 18-year-old Scot had the better of a lacklustre Henman as he broke him twice to take the opener in Basel.

But Henman rallied, showing glimpses of his class as Murray faltered, and made the decisive break to level the match.

The tense contest had to be settled by a tie-break and Murray produced the best shots to claim a landmark win.

Murray made his intentions clear by totally dominating the opening set with an impressive array of shots.

- Full Story (bbc.co.uk)

Related Audio/Video:
- BBC Video Interview: Andy Murray
- BBC Video Interview: Tim Henman
- BBC Video: Match Highlights

Related:
- MW Gallery: Davidoff Swiss (11 new)
- Swiss Indoors Basel - Official Website
- Latest Results / Draw
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Murray victorious in battle of Britain « Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 05:22 PM »

fantastic match - great tension, atmosphere....and occassionally the tennis wasnt bad either!!

the shots andy pulled out in the tiebreak were true class Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

a great clash of the brits - i know this sounds cheesy, but its a shame one of them had to lose Smile

only problem - andrew castle.....normally i like him..... not today......
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray victorious in battle of Britain « Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 05:29 PM »

For anyone who wasn't interested in british tennis, I think the match would of made them go to sleep, so many mistakes, but for us Andy fans it was brilliant!
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Murray victorious in battle of Britain « Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 05:33 PM »

Quote from: "Mark"
For anyone who wasn't interested in british tennis, I think the match would of made them go to sleep, so many mistakes, but for us Andy fans it was brilliant!

lol yes - the commentators were going on about how into the match the crowd were getting when clearly they weren't that bothered Smile

there were only a few really memorable shots in the match - but like you say, for us thats not what it was about Smile
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

Murray victorious in battle of Britain « Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 07:18 PM »

Quote from: "eira_arian"

only problem - andrew castle.....normally i like him..... not today......

Oh gawd! Wasn't he awful? He outdid Barry Cowan in the awfulness stakes this afternoon.

computersmilie  I truly didn't think that was possible.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Murray victorious in battle of Britain « Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 07:34 PM »

It was pretty painful stuff.... but unbelievabel achievement for Andy! mexicanwave
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

Murray victorious in battle of Britain « Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 09:20 PM »

unfortunately, the sound on my computer doesn't work. Can anybody summarise what both Murray and Henman said in the BBc video interviews?

and well done to Murray, a great win  Very Happy
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Murray victorious in battle of Britain « Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 09:32 PM »

murray: in the first audio interview (which has disappeared from the bbc sites) andy was saying it was the best win of his career and a day that he'll remember for the rest of his life. he said that tim had given him someone to aspire to in tennis - theres a lot of good scottish footballers, so he could quite easily have gone down that route - but only tim who stood out in tennis. he said that throughout the match he was trying to keep his emotions to the minimum out of respect to tim, but at the end it was just overwhelming (hence the tears)

in the second video interview he talks about the fact that even though hes beaten the GB  no.1 hes still only no.3 and a long way behind tim and greg - he says hes going to have to win a lot more matches to get in front of them, so you have to look at it that way. he says his emotions after match point are hard to explain because he was just so pleased with the way he'd played - he's been watching tim for the last 10 years and to win against him is unbelievable after where he was at the start of the year - he still can't believe its happened. asked if his ambition is to be GB no.1 and when he thinks that will happen, andy replies that his aim is to get to the top 10, not Gb no.1. If getting to the top ten means being no.1 thats all good, but if it doesn't its not a major problem for him - you have to look outside of britain - a lot of the younger players don't and thats a problem. They go abroad and they realise what a huge number of other players there are - thats something hes always been aware of and thats one of the reasons why he moved to spain to train.
Asked where he wants to be by the end of 2006, he replies top 20 would be his aim, it would be pretty impressive, but he hasn't asked his coach yet.

hope thats ok - its all murrays word and not my comments - i write in a bit of a weird transcribing style Very Happy

anyone else fancy doing tims interview? Very Happy
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

Murray victorious in battle of Britain « Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 09:36 PM »

thanks very much for that  Very Happy
so were there really tears i saw at the end of the match?
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Murray victorious in battle of Britain « Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 09:40 PM »

Quote from: "annie"
thanks very much for that  Very Happy
so were there really tears i saw at the end of the match?

apparently so Very Happy what a sweetie Heart
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

Murray victorious in battle of Britain « Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 09:42 PM »

Crying or Very sad  It's disappeared? Aww. I thought Andy was very emotional, while Tim was very generous and gracious in defeat.

That sort of sportsmanship is wonderful IMO.

Now when is Saint Judy going to give her thoughts? There's one proud Mum around, I'll bet  Very Happy
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Murray victorious in battle of Britain « Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 09:43 PM »

Quote from: "Tally"
Crying or Very sad  It's disappeared? Aww. I thought Andy was very emotional, while Tim was very generous and gracious in defeat.

That sort of sportsmanship is wonderful IMO.

Now when is Saint Judy going to give her thoughts? There's one proud Mum around, I'll bet  Very Happy

i know! perfect example of british gentlemen ( off the court that is)

as for judy - i was looking for her courtside....clearly she wasnt there....all my friends were like, 'er, why??'
she is a legend. all hail queen judy.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray victorious in battle of Britain « Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 09:47 PM »

I thought it was sort of 'sweet' I guess (not a word I use very often) when Murray looked at Mark Petchey thinking "I don't get it" and Petchey looked back really sad for him heh
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Murray victorious in battle of Britain « Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 09:49 PM »

Quote from: "Mark"
I thought it was sort of 'sweet' I guess (not a word I use very often) when Murray looked at Mark Petchey thinking "I don't get it" and Petchey looked back really sad for him heh

it didnt see that....it is indeed sweet ;)l

ol petchey looked hilarious throughout as always. was that a top of federers he was wearing??!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray victorious in battle of Britain « Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 09:54 PM »

I don't know, but that top always gets me thinking for a moment every time I see it, it makes him look very beefy but not a good choice of top. Maybe this is one of the reasons Murray and Petchey get on so well, they probably have the same fashion sense.  devil  :twisted:
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »