Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray whistles past Lopez 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray whistles past Lopez

(Read 2811 times)
allyh84
ATP Level

Britain's number 3

Murray whistles past Lopez « on: September 05, 2011, 02:43 AM »

Andy Murray’s US Open charge rolled smoothly against Feliciano Lopez, who he beat soundly in straight sets as Lopez struggled to cope with windy conditions.

A dominant Murray won 6-1, 6-4, 6-2 without being broken and now faces American rookie Donald Young in the fourth round later this week.

Lopez’s main weapon is his serve – or so they said. He served at a dreadful rate of 21% first serves in during the first set meaning Murray broke easily in the second game. Adding to that, Murray didn’t even lose a point on his own serve in the set.

Going against his reputation as a counter-puncher, Murray constantly seized the initiative which Lopez’s poor court coverage gave him. An embarrassing 15 unforced errors from Lopez in the first set tells its own story.

Read more (286 words)
The second set showed signs of a more competitive animal though. Lopez held to love early and even wriggled away from a break point with a 133 mph serve. However, the gulf in class between the two – particularly in margins for error – began to emerge, not forgetting Murray’s formidable five wins from five against the Spaniard.

Quite frankly, Lopez’s serving was not good enough, the touch shots were too deep, and the unforced error count was swelling at an alarming rate – he hit 44 during a tough night. True to form, a seventh double fault brought Murray the break he craved. Lopez’s volleying spiralled into disarray in the following game and two errors from the Madrid native gave Murray the second set 6-4.

With a two set cushion to rest on, Murray commanded from the baseline and Lopez, credit to him, tried to attack and vary his approach. But Murray, world number four and a finalist here in 2008, pounced upon Lopez’s frequent errors with glee and authority.

A few typically misjudged Lopez volleys left Murray with a virtually unassailable 5-2 lead. He held to take the final set 6-2 despite stumbling to 0-30 when Lopez perked up for a moment.

Murray was wholly convincing and on the indication of this, the signs are ominous for Young. Facing just two break points all match, Murray hit 25 winners and experimented with keeping points shorter.

Like so often, it is difficult to gauge where Murray is after this, but he always orchestrated play to his own desires and coped well with swirling winds. The Dunblane native signalled his intentions here. Can Djokovic and co do the same as the draw whittles down?
[ Last edit by Mark September 05, 2011, 01:26 PM ] IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:05 AM »

Thanks, Ally, Good report & fast!   Well done, Andy.  That's the way!!
IP Logged
tripler

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 03:43 AM »

Nice report. I only watched the first game, so that's just what I needed.

Just wondered, shouldn't it be "rolled ON" in the first sentence?
IP Logged
ljs
Futures Level

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 04:41 AM »

I cheered so loud , have lost my voice
that was a tennis lesson for Mr Lopez ( even tho lopez was horrible )
[ Last edit by ljs September 05, 2011, 04:54 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 04:46 AM »

Nice report. I only watched the first game, so that's just what I needed.

Just wondered, shouldn't it be "rolled ON" in the first sentence?
The term "roll on" is, in fact, slang - as in "roll on next week", so, as far I as I understand it, the use of "rolled" here is correct. Smile

Very good report.  I was particuarly impressed with the way Murray coped with the windy conditions, something he often has trouble with.  Can he now replicate this performance, or even better, improve on it, against Donald Young?  Hopefully a home crowd urging Young on will get Murray nicely fired up.

My complaint, as usual, is Murray getting frustrated with himself when he plays a poor shot, even although he's playing well otherwise.  Time he realised human perfection doesn't exist and accepts that even the very best can make mistakes.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 06:54 AM »

Good on ya lad Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 07:37 AM »

Sounds like the lad done good.  Sorry to have missed it but look forward to watching the recording eventually.  And will have to miss the next round too as will still be in London.  So good luck for that one Andy - time for revenge against Young.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 07:39 AM »

Trust Andy to play brilliantly when most of his fans are asleep Smile
 Yoda says Andy was playing so well, he himself started to nod off...Wink
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 07:43 AM »

Trust Andy to play brilliantly when most of his fans are asleep Smile
 Yoda says Andy was playing so well, he himself started to nod off...Wink
Perhaps he's telling us something bbh for taking the easy way out  w00t
IP Logged
tripler

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 07:44 AM »

The term "roll on" is, in fact, slang - as in "roll on next week", so, as far I as I understand it, the use of "rolled" here is correct. :
I stand corrected! (still sounds weird :p)
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 07:47 AM »

Hope Andy can bring back some of that USO '08 SF 'A game' in the 2nd week and complete the revenge double over Young and Bogomolov.

Andy played within himself and handled Lopez expertly. The only thing perhaps missing was the heavy forehand he was hitting against Devvarman but TBH, it wasn't required as the gameplan was to play against Feli's BH and waiting for the chip & charge for passing opportunities throughout. It was a game that required subtlety not outright power.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 08:06 AM »

Well done Andy, played the game that would make life difficult for Deliciano. I woke in the early hours and put on 5 Live to hear that Andy was up 2 sets and had broken Deliciano and went down to watch the remainder of the match, I had set the record button so will be able to watch it later. yay udaman
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 09:05 AM »

Well done Andy,now get Young!!! yay
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 09:34 AM »

kicking :kicking:Well Done Andy! yay Great 1st set, after that played enough to get the job done comfortably without too much exertion.
Now bring on the Duck, it's time for revenge, as Andy is not feeling low as he was in IW.
IP Logged
Aran
Satellite Level

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 10:56 AM »

I stand corrected! (still sounds weird :p)

Don't stand too corrected...;-)  When 'roll' is used to talk about movement, it is usual to specify something about the direction (unless it's implied fairly clearly, as in 'rolled his eyes').

In this case, it doesn't have to be 'on' - it could be 'on', or 'onwards', or 'into the last 16', or 'forwards' - but you're right that it does need some kind of qualifier.

Having said that, this is a match report, not a piece of English homework!  It's great that Ally took the time to do a detailed and interesting summary of the match for those of us who couldn't see it - thanks, Ally...:-)
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »