Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray whistles past Lopez 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray whistles past Lopez

(Read 2818 times)
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Koala's are cute and cuddly

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 11:06 AM »

Don't stand too corrected...;-)  When 'roll' is used to talk about movement, it is usual to specify something about the direction (unless it's implied fairly clearly, as in 'rolled his eyes').

In this case, it doesn't have to be 'on' - it could be 'on', or 'onwards', or 'into the last 16', or 'forwards' - but you're right that it does need some kind of qualifier.

Having said that, this is a match report, not a piece of English homework!  It's great that Ally took the time to do a detailed and interesting summary of the match for those of us who couldn't see it - thanks, Ally...:-)

I think what Ally ment here was that there were no ups and downs or lapses to Andys match when compared to his last two - "it Rolled smoothly" or put another way all facets of Andys game were in good working order ( no nerves, no stuttering, just sheer focus and concentration)...............But hey what do i know i'm not an English teacher.  hug
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 11:30 AM »

'
Don't stand too corrected...;-)  When 'roll' is used to talk about movement, it is usual to specify something about the direction (unless it's implied fairly clearly, as in 'rolled his eyes').

In this case, it doesn't have to be 'on' - it could be 'on', or 'onwards', or 'into the last 16', or 'forwards' - but you're right that it does need some kind of qualifier.

Having said that, this is a match report, not a piece of English homework!  It's great that Ally took the time to do a detailed and interesting summary of the match for those of us who couldn't see it - thanks, Ally...:-)

Mu dictionary shows the verb "roll" to also mean "to waddle along", which Murray certainly did not.   However, I appreciate just what allyh84 implied and AM's US Open charge accelerated smoothly indeed :-)
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 11:45 AM »

Glad he won so convincingly and didn't put everyone watching through agonies again Smile
IP Logged
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 11:54 AM »

'
Mu dictionary shows the verb "roll" to also mean "to waddle along", which Murray certainly did not.   However, I appreciate just what allyh84 implied and AM's US Open charge accelerated smoothly indeed :-)

And thats exactly what i deduced from Allys' words too  hug
IP Logged
Aran
Satellite Level

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 12:35 PM »

Mu dictionary shows the verb "roll" to also mean "to waddle along"

No kidding?!  I think it might be time to ask for your money back from the publishers...;-)

Quote from: psychological tennis
But hey what do i know i'm not an English teacher.

You're very interesting on the psychology of the game, though...:-)
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 01:05 PM »

Johnnie Mac still picks Andy to win ,heard him after the game ,he said Andy is the hungriest.also said Donald young is lacking experience to go a 5 setter with Andy.   so... onwards and upwards.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 01:13 PM »

No kidding?!  I think it might be time to ask for your money back from the publishers...;-)

My trusty Odhams Dictionary from the early 1960s (1334 A5 pages) in which "gay" meant lively, cheerful, vivacious, light hearted, bright, showy,  brilliant and "wicked" is vicious, abhorrent, evil, sinful and immoral.  Seems I need to get a new dictionary and Roget's thesaurus.
IP Logged
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 01:23 PM »

You're very interesting on the psychology of the game, though...:-)

Thank you  hug
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 01:29 PM »

My trusty Odhams Dictionary from the early 1960s (1334 A5 pages) in which "gay" meant lively, cheerful, vivacious, light hearted, bright, showy,  brilliant and "wicked" is vicious, abhorrent, evil, sinful and immoral.  Seems I need to get a new dictionary and Roget's thesaurus.
That must be the same dictionary I was brought up with! So many of our words have been 'hijacked'!
IP Logged
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #24 on: September 05, 2011, 01:49 PM »

Thought we all might like a bit of humour here, The Joker as Maria Sharapova, select video number six from the right hand side column of videos. Its brrilliant.  Whistle

http://video.uk.msn.com/watch/video/nadal-collapses-at-us-open-press-conference/2ga4yvvg
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 02:46 PM »

Thanks PT......that was brilliant! Saw the Nadal one too........Give that man an Oscar!
IP Logged
Aran
Satellite Level

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 03:08 PM »

lol

I'm an OED man myself, but I think you should stand your ground on gay and wicked... Very Happy

But please don't tell me Roget's gives 'waddled' for roll?!  I'd have to write them a stern letter...wink
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 03:21 PM »

lol

I'm an OED man myself, but I think you should stand your ground on gay and wicked... Very Happy

But please don't tell me Roget's gives 'waddled' for roll?!  I'd have to write them a stern letter...wink
My more modern 1982 Collins doesn't mention waddle, but instead gives "to walk by swaying" (same as waddle??), gay became homosexual and wicked is also naughty and mischievous.  Robert Robinson must be turning in his grave.

Have now watched the Murray match 3 times on Sky+ and it gets better each time.  Roll on (is that correct) tomorrow :-)
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 04:49 PM »

I did my best to stay awake, but nodded off during the second set.  Watched a bit of it this morning, though.  Was pleasantly surprised by his serve %.  88 in the first set!
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray whistles past Lopez « Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 06:36 PM »

Johnnie Mac still picks Andy to win ,heard him after the game ,he said Andy is the hungriest.also said Donald young is lacking experience to go a 5 setter with Andy.   so... onwards and upwards.
Oh yes, Go Andy, Johnnie Mac is right.  yay
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »