Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole

(Read 5317 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « on: January 25, 2013, 12:53 PM »

In a match that resembled the classic fairground game Whack the Mole, Andy Murray was frequently forced to wield a mallet to deal with Roger Federer’s occasional forays above the surface of an Australian Open semi that Murray won 6-4 6-7 6-3 6-7 6-2.

If ever it was possible to canter to a five-set victory, Murray proved it here. The Scot, wearing flashes of gold on his Adidas outfit in tribute to Federer’s 2008 Olympic doubles victory, dominated the routine play on Rod Laver Arena, playing second fiddle only in the tiebreaks that the Swiss has made his own in major events.

It was the Scot who got off to the better start, dominating Federer from the baseline and lacing groundshots into the corners. The Swiss turned this way and that, pirouetting his way like a pink-trimmed ballerina to an exacerbation of his troublesome back injury. Murray broke for 3-1 and hung on to take the first set in a relative canter.

The second set ramped up the action, with beefy tennis from the back court. Although the British number one laid down a solid serving foundation, with close to a 70% first-delivery success rate, he was unable to force a break and the set drifted uncomfortably for the world number three into a tiebreak.

Read more (518 words)
Although Federer’s triumphs on the game’s biggest stages have been increasingly rare in recent years, the Swiss has still managed to husband his energies to play flowing, aggressive tennis when it most matters.

An enviable tiebreak record attests to that, with Federer winning five of the six the two players have contested. Some passive tennis from the Scot, coupled with a mistimed smash at 5-5 that recalled a similar shot by Roddick at a crucial point of the 2009 Wimbledon final, duly cooked the Scottish goose.

The third set turned on a magical twenty minutes’ action from the Scot that began with Federer serving at 2-3. Murray drilled backhands and forehands as if in practice through the Swiss player’s defences, hitting high to the Federer backhand and taking his cue from Nadal’s successful tactics against the 17-time grand-slam champion.

The Scot broke for 4-2 and held on to cap a 6-3 set with a giant ace down the T that soared high into the backstop.

But up popped the mole again in set four, as Federer, playing in his tenth successive semi-final in Melbourne, cut loose with some wide serving and opportunist groundshots to steal a 4-1 lead. Murray’s first-serve percentage had dropped to 38%, but the Scot stilled his mind and struck back with a vengeance to level at 4-4 after an epic service game that featured a stunning running lob from the British number one deftly caught by well-groomed slow bowler Shane Warne.

During the fourth set, Federer applied some spin of his own, with a comment towards the Scot at the net that, from Murray’s reaction, was unlikely to have been uber-polite. The Swiss followed that up in the breaker with a facial gesture that will surely have reduced by one Murray’s Christmas card obligations.

Although some searing backcourt play from the Scot saw him serve for the match at 6-5, the prospect of a nice juicy tiebreak seemed to galvanise the world number two and a ferocious smash and scorching down-the-line backhand duly brought it about.

Federer looks at tiebreaks the way that moles stare at earthworms and, like a man reinvigorated and renewed after a week at a St Moritz spa and wellness centre, the Swiss upped his game to improbable levels just as Murray wheeled out his ladies’ third-team second serve.

Unfortunately for Federer,  there’s no tiebreak in the fifth set, a fact that must have slowly dawned on the Swiss early in the decider, when a series of shanks and pulls gave Murray the initiative at 3-0. With the Scot’s serving picking up once again – he fired his 20th ace at 4-2 – Murray held firm to break again at 5-2 and bellow loudly into the cool Melbourne night air.

When the two players met at net, Federer wore a look of contrition that Murray treated with the contempt it deserved. The Scot will need to be equally disdainful on Sunday, in the face of the laser hitting of his friend Novak Djokovic, when he bids to become the first man in history to win his first two slams in back-to-back events.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy January 25, 2013, 05:04 PM ] IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:56 PM »

Looking forward to your report Nigel Very Happy
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 01:00 PM »

Smile Nice analogy Nigel!
IP Logged
Mario_池澄

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 01:00 PM »

it's incredible, was as nervous as him the whole match
IP Logged
caroline
Seed

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 01:07 PM »

Well done AM am sooooooooooo proud of you.At last you've beaten RF in a grandslam knew you could do it way to go.You and Novak are the future of tennis now.Dont think this 5 set match will affect your performance in the  final,you havent spent to long on court up until this match and you needed a good workout to keep you sharp for the final. yay clap clap clap
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 01:10 PM »

In a match that resembled the classic fairground game Whack the Mole, Andy Murray was frequently forced to wield a mallet to deal with Roger Federer’s occasional forays above the surface of an Australian Open semi that Murray won 6-4 6-7 6-3 6-7 6-2.
Whack the Mole?  Never heard of it.  But Google is my friend! LOL

Well done AM am sooooooooooo proud of you.At last you've beaten RF in a grandslam knew you could do it way to go.You and Novak are the future of tennis now.Dont think this 5 set match will affect your performance in the  final,you havent spent to long on court up until this match and you needed a good workout to keep you sharp for the final. yay clap clap clap
Hmmm.  Could have done without that 5th set, but at least I don't think Andy will going into a slump if he loses.  He sounded very honest both about this match and the final.  I've no doubt about Andy's physical strength and ability to recover, but mental strength is going to be very important here.  Andy won't get away with lapses in concentration in the final.
[ Last edit by Aileen January 25, 2013, 01:16 PM ] IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 01:15 PM »

Prepared, Attacked, Destroyed! 
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 01:15 PM »

IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 01:18 PM »

yay Now hopefully 3rd time lucky against Novak pray
IP Logged
marg
Junior

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 01:18 PM »

Yippee I predicted Andy would win in 5. So happy but annoyed with how Fedface milked the applause and crowd sp un gentlemanly and rude.  Well done Andy. Prayers for our friend
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 01:24 PM »

Yes Andy was well prepared and did attack and destroyed Smug fed in the final set. Well done Andy you were great but gave me a scare when Smugfed came back to win the fourth set. But you kept ypor nerve an won the 5th. So so proud of you.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 01:24 PM »

Terrible sportsmanship and the expression on Fed's face says it all.  So much for the wholesome Mr Nice Guy his fans think he is. Rolling Eyes  Anyway if he swore so audibly, then why no code violation? 
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 01:26 PM »

Told you so Fingers and tongue.
Inevitable that Andy would one day beat Roger at a slam.
Just so happy it happened today yahooo yahooo yahooo
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 01:26 PM »

My Fed friend phoned the second Federer won the second set and I answered "Hello Anne, 1 set all".   She then went on, blah, blah until somebody thankfully rang her door bell.  So far, she hasn't phoned back.  I wonder why.  The thought of her phoning if Andy had lost would have been too much to bear.   I am sooooo glad to have the last laugh.   A win on Sunday will allow me to rub her nose well and truly in it.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 01:27 PM »

What did he say to Andy at net that made Andy smile?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »