Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole

(Read 4216 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 03:15 PM »

Really hope he pulls it off on Sunday. Think the pressure is more on ND on Sunday to avenge the US Open and the Olympics, and to try and break the record for AO victories. They are currently 1:1 in GS finals. If Murray loses on Sunday it will be sad, but not a tragedy.   I think Murray has actually just won the most important match with regard to the future, ie by beating Fed in this type of  of tournament  for the first time.

If I didn't dislike Fed so much I would feel a bit sorry for him. Thrashed by Murray in the Olympic Final and so deprived of the last shiny toy he needed to make his collection complete, knocked out in the QF of the USO by Berdych, who ND and now Murray beat regularly, then sent home by Murray today. Meanwhile his fantasy of singles gold in Rio, must be taking a hell of a knock. Good day all round. I think Murray will be disappointed if he loses on Sunday, but not distraught.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 03:16 PM »

Love Andy's response tender
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 03:16 PM »

If Andy said there were no hard feelings, maybe Federer called him a lucky "something"?
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 03:20 PM »

If Andy said there were no hard feelings, maybe Federer called him a lucky "something"?

The delightful thing is it's probably very easy to be forgiving when you emerge the victor. Automatically gives you the moral high ground some how...!!!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 03:37 PM »

I'm really intrigued now.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 03:47 PM »

both seem pretty tight lipped...

Q.  You spoke earlier in the week about the good manners that exist between the players.  There definitely seemed to be a bit of feeling between the two of you after 6 5 in the fourth.  Can you talk about that.  Was there an exchange between you?
ROGER FEDERER:  I mean, it wasn't a big deal anyway.  We just looked at each other one time.  That's okay, I think, in a three and a half hour match.  We were just checking each other out for bit.
No, I mean, that wasn't a big deal for me.  I hope not for him.

Q.  How surprised were you by what he shouted when you were at the net at 6 5 in the fourth?  You had a funny look on your face at that point.
ANDY MURRAY:  I mean, I wasn't that surprised.  I mean, stuff like that happens daily in tennis matches.  You know, in sport, the stuff that some people say on football pitches and in basketball and all sorts of sports.  I mean, it was very, very mild in comparison to what happens in other sports.  It's just one of those things.

Q.  Can you repeat what he said?
ANDY MURRAY:  It's not relevant what he said.  You know, it doesn't really matter.  It's something that happens, like I say, all the time on tennis courts, in sport, all the time.
Especially when it's a one on one sort of individual combat.  It's not relevant.  There's no hard feelings.

What a sweetheart this Andy, isn't he?

No more Stefan Edberg award for Federer though. lol
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 03:48 PM »

I thought he said '**** you' but I could be wrong.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 03:57 PM »

I thought he said 'f**k you' but I could be wrong.

On the other hand you could be right EJ.   It looked a bit like that.    Fed looked sour quite early on in the match.    It's getting more and more difficult for him to hold to his benevolent image,
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 04:03 PM »

Federer has won the Stefan Edberg award for sportsmanship 8 times.

Meaningless award, but still funny nonetheless.
IP Logged
madabouttheboy
Junior

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 04:03 PM »

And sent him homewards tae think again.....
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 04:06 PM »

Some interesting match stats, for anyone interested.

Andy's FSP was 64%, winning 75% points behind it and a very impressive 63% of the points behind the second serve.

He hit 62 winners to Federer's 43, whilst making 47 unforced errors to Federer's 60.

He won 26 more points than Federer (177-151), converting 6 of his 16 break points (38% to Federer's 33% - 2/6).

Also fired down 21 aces without a single double, to Federer's 5 aces, 2 double faults.

Both players won 66% of the points at the net (Murray 20/30, Federer 29/44).
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 04:17 PM »

Andy's FSP was 64%, winning 75% points behind it and a very impressive 63% of the points behind the second serve.
I could see that Federer wasn't returning the 2nd serve very well, that's why I was urging Andy to always go for huge 1st serves. In fact I think Federer was actually returning the 1sts serves better than the 2nd when he got his racket on them - if you were to look at the points won on 1st serve compared to 2nd serve after a successful return I think Andy would have better stats on the 2nd serve that match.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 04:17 PM »

I thought he said 'f**k you' but I could be wrong.
I didn't get to see the match.

What exactly warranted such a comment?

Andy talks about it as if it was Federer just shouting at himself.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013, 04:18 PM »

I could see that Federer wasn't returning the 2nd serve very well, that's why I was urging Andy to always go for huge 1st serves. In fact I think Federer was actually returning the 1sts serves better than the 2nd when he got his racket on them - if you were to look at the points won on 1st serve compared to 2nd serve after a successful return I think Andy would have better stats on the 2nd serve that match.
If you take away the 21 aces Murray's points won behind first serve would be 58% - and that's before you factor in the unreturned serves. So yeah, you're right. How odd.

Also came to post this:

His best lob ever?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #44 on: January 25, 2013, 04:19 PM »

I didn't get to see the match.

What exactly warranted such a comment?

Andy talks about it as if it was Federer just shouting at himself.
The video's on the first page.

Not a clue.

I'm still intrigued as to what was said after Murray went 15-0 at 6-5 (when he passed Federer). He pulled a funny face and had a bemused smile on his face, like "are you being serious?".
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »