Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole

(Read 4743 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #60 on: January 25, 2013, 05:09 PM »

The other thing which pleased me was Murray's message to the organisers of the tournament who  had gone to great lengths to nurse Federer through the competition by giving him the best conditions to play in and once Murray got there beating their favourite player fair and square Great
yes good point - all our fears about smug being more used to the conditions and Andy played better from the word go
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #61 on: January 25, 2013, 05:53 PM »

The video's on the first page.
Not very helpful Think

Why couldnt you watch? Make sure you do later cuz it was an incredible one Smile
I was at work, oh well Smile
[ Last edit by Mark January 25, 2013, 05:57 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #62 on: January 25, 2013, 06:03 PM »

yes good point - all our fears about smug being more used to the conditions and Andy played better from the word go

The practice sessions on Hisense under the lights must have gone well. That was a great idea.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #63 on: January 25, 2013, 06:04 PM »

Not very helpful Think
I was at work, oh well Smile
Me too, Mark - but we won't be at work on Sunday!!  Very Happy
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #64 on: January 25, 2013, 06:06 PM »

Me too, Mark - but we won't be at work on Sunday!!  Very Happy

No work for my grandpa too so he can watch the match with me!!!
He is already depressed that he missed this one..
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #65 on: January 25, 2013, 06:28 PM »

No work for my grandpa too so he can watch the match with me!!!
He is already depressed that he missed this one..
Go, grandpa!  Really hope he enjoys and has something to celebrate!  Smile
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #66 on: January 25, 2013, 06:48 PM »

Did you guys get the stat that that was Feds 62nd straight match on RLA? Don't tell ms that Fed doesn't get VIP treatment by the AO officials Eyebrow raise.

Oh, there was the one time he was scheduled to play on Hisense but his opponent withdrew with injury secret service agent

I hope Andy now finds himself on future AO merchandise and Fed less.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #67 on: January 25, 2013, 06:58 PM »

Unbelievably wonderful What a difference a year with Llendl makes, despite all sorts of bad luck,,no temper tantrums just endless hard slog Andy I've never been so proud of you.

Me neither    clap

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #68 on: January 25, 2013, 07:30 PM »

I wonder if he meant me?

'Because, as one observer put it, this was a rare example of a five-set thrashing.'

(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/australianopen/9826681/Australian-Open-2013-Andy-Murray-defeats-Roger-Federer-in-five-sets-to-set-up-final-with-Novak-Djokovic.html)

...where I wrote 'If ever it was possible to canter to a five-set victory...'
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #69 on: January 25, 2013, 07:36 PM »

possible Nigel.  I'm glad comms picking up on smug being more 'sweary'.  Perhaps they'll finally see through the gentleman disguise

I noticed on the bbc website that quite a few of the links were to stories with the title of Andy 'outmuscling' smug  yay
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #70 on: January 25, 2013, 07:46 PM »

First off, thanks Nigel for a great report - maintaining the standard that brought me to MW. thumb up

Second, WELL DONE ANDY !   I was at work and couldn't bring myself to listen to the match on the radio coz I'm a complete wreck at these games. nervous   I'm off on sunday and already relishing and dreading the match in equal measure !

Thirdly, I would like to take a leaf from our hero's book and show some grace towards Roger Federer. Although I share many of the opinions discussed on MW, I think we should acknowledge Fed's extraordinary career. His slam record may never be beaten and there is no doubt that he has been a huge influence for good in this golden age of tennis. He is a one-off.
I believe though, that today's result signals the end of an era.  I think Fed has won his last slam and I wouldn't be surprised if he has competed in his last AO. There is no doubt in my mind that the new guard have taken over, and a new era has begun.

The King is dead : Long Live the King !!
IP Logged
JANEGT

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #71 on: January 25, 2013, 07:51 PM »

Murray wears gold because he won a gold medal in the olympics.  somefool said it was to be a tribute to Federer (as if) for his 2008 win?  no way in heLLsbells would that ever happen.  Murray wears gold because of his own MURRAY'S win not anything to do with Federer.  And remember you have to be nice to people on the way up coz you meet them on the way down.....Fed is now finding that out to his own detriment.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #72 on: January 25, 2013, 08:00 PM »

Murray wears gold because he won a gold medal in the olympics.  somefool said it was to be a tribute to Federer (as if) for his 2008 win?  no way in heLLsbells would that ever happen.  Murray wears gold because of his own MURRAY'S win not anything to do with Federer. 

REALLY? Never even considered that.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #73 on: January 25, 2013, 08:03 PM »

I had to watch the match in bits: first set completely, which made me really confident, the second up to the TB when my internet access faded away and I had to check the live score on another computer. And I knew beforehand: if there is anything Andy should avoid then it is TB. Then I had some work to do, and when I checked again, Andy was serving for the match. It was so disappointing to see him being broken back and as a lot of us I felt the momentum with Fed. I had to interrupt following the score with Andy leading 3:0 and hoped he would not let it slip again. How relieved was I when the screen showed the final result. I had been so afraid. Now I must find the time to watch the complete match with Fed's four pink crosses on his baby shoes, his growing frustration about Andy's dominance, Andy's aggression and destruction of "King Roger" (as promised on his T-shirt), his controlled demeanour in nearly every situation. I simply enjoy this good feeling and do not yet look at the upcoming final.
IP Logged
JANEGT

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #74 on: January 25, 2013, 08:04 PM »

WELL LOOKS LIKE my coffee hot and beans hot in pot beside the toaster by my side watching the tv at 8 am will be my early Sunday start.  Brekkie not brunch....or maybe if match goes on long enough it will be both probably.  Like both players so the best man will win.  I doubt 'luck' can come in to this.  They know one another well and are same age and friends so it will be very interesting, but Murray has matured this year and is hungry....so my money fractionally is on Andy....course it is....I am Scottish too.  Has to be.  I will be watching every second, won't answer door, phone or move till match is over.  tissues at the ready either way.  Andy showed maturity today I have never seen before after losing 4th set he should have won, he controlled his anger well.  On the other hand, never seen Fed Ex swear like that or fall out with the umpire too in a huff.  so.....GO ANDY GO ANDY GO ANDY GO ANDY GO ANDY.  ABOUT TIME.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »