Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole

(Read 4669 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #90 on: January 26, 2013, 01:00 AM »

Eyebrow raise.
Not only reads it but is a registered member Very Happy
Who still requires some answers from me regarding a certain interview.  Eyebrow raise.
IP Logged
Tonedial
Challenger Level

WORTH THE WAIT

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #91 on: January 26, 2013, 02:12 AM »

Martin Samuel: Roger raged at Murray to 'f***ing stop', but he was shown no mercy

Read more:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2268538/Andy-Murray-performed-remarkable-feat-win-Roger-Federer.html#ixzz2J2m2aQVk

IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #92 on: January 26, 2013, 02:28 AM »

Martin Samuel: Roger raged at Murray to 'f***ing stop', but he was shown no mercy

Read more:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2268538/Andy-Murray-performed-remarkable-feat-win-Roger-Federer.html#ixzz2J2m2aQVk

Load of crap. Smugfed told Andy to f*** off. He also managed to intimidate a referee into changing his decision and made Andy wait to serve when he was serving for the match. In my eyes Federer behaved despicably and if he keeps playing and getting beaten by Andy and Novak his true colours will show more and more.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #93 on: January 26, 2013, 07:46 AM »

There's a great piece in the INdependent by their chief sports writer who has been v critical of ANdy in the the past.
I've not read the whole article yet as so much in today's papers but this para sticks out:
He made Federer look mortal in some ways that we had rarely if ever seen before. He made him appear not only ageing and tired but edgy and querulous, someone ready to pick an argument with anyone, himself, an umpire, a line judge, maybe even the world..... 
And there's much emphasis on how Andy is a new man these days.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/james-lawton-federer-rages-at-the-dying-of-the-light-as-his-old-mystique-is-stripped-away-8467848.html

On radio this morning I heard John Inverdale and Jonathon Overond talking about Andy with the kind of pride we take in him.  JI said something like isn't it a privilege to be in the presence of such a great sporting figure.   Sure is guys.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #94 on: January 26, 2013, 08:54 AM »

Go, grandpa!  Really hope he enjoys and has something to celebrate!  Smile

Sure he will! Now, I've got a problem Frown May miss the first half of the match if I do not finish my Spell Bee competition before 3:00 p.m here... doh
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #95 on: January 26, 2013, 10:03 AM »

There's a great piece in the INdependent by their chief sports writer who has been v critical of ANdy in the the past.
I've not read the whole article yet as so much in today's papers but this para sticks out:
He made Federer look mortal in some ways that we had rarely if ever seen before. He made him appear not only ageing and tired but edgy and querulous, someone ready to pick an argument with anyone, himself, an umpire, a line judge, maybe even the world..... 
And there's much emphasis on how Andy is a new man these days.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/james-lawton-federer-rages-at-the-dying-of-the-light-as-his-old-mystique-is-stripped-away-8467848.html

On radio this morning I heard John Inverdale and Jonathon Overond talking about Andy with the kind of pride we take in him.  JI said something like isn't it a privilege to be in the presence of such a great sporting figure.   Sure is guys.
I just read it. Brilliantly expressed. Thanks Ruthie for posting this.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #96 on: January 26, 2013, 10:21 AM »

Why am I insane, Luke? People read MW. Pete Bodo reads it. Joel Drucker reads it. Neil Harman does, too. Why shouldn't the guy from The Telegraph?
The comment Nigel, the comment.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #97 on: January 26, 2013, 10:22 AM »

RE: The video, someone else mentioned, and what seems most likely, is Federer saying, "you f**king stopped" because Murray momentarily stopped during the rally, perhaps to challenge, before playing on.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #98 on: January 26, 2013, 10:24 AM »

Loved this part:
Moments that would have troubled or turned him in the past, poor line calls that had to go unchallenged or net-cord ricochets that fell benignly for Federer, were shrugged off.

The hostility of an outrageously partisan crowd — it is called the Australian Open but at times it felt as if it had been moved to a hall nearer Zurich —served only as inspiration. Perhaps that was Murray’s greatest achievement. He made folk feel sorry for Federer, as if one of the leanest, meanest, most uncompromising competitors tennis has ever seen needed our pity or support to help him through this ordeal.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #99 on: January 26, 2013, 10:40 AM »

The comment Nigel, the comment.

The five-set thrashing? It WAS a five-set thrashing. Federer just squeaked two tiebreaks.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #100 on: January 26, 2013, 10:46 AM »

First off, thanks Nigel for a great report - maintaining the standard that brought me to MW. thumb up
......Thirdly, I would like to take a leaf from our hero's book and show some grace towards Roger Federer. Although I share many of the opinions discussed on MW, I think we should acknowledge Fed's extraordinary career. His slam record may never be beaten and there is no doubt that he has been a huge influence for good in this golden age of tennis. He is a one-off.
I believe though, that today's result signals the end of an era.  I think Fed has won his last slam and I wouldn't be surprised if he has competed in his last AO. There is no doubt in my mind that the new guard have taken over, and a new era has begun.

The King is dead : Long Live the King !!
Good posting!
It's important to acknowlege RFs acheivements and realise that all good things must come to an end...all players will eventually start to declining. The clock is ticking too for Novak, Andy and Rafa etc., etc.

I'm not a RF fan because his on court personality doesnt appeal to me, but I admire his tennis. If we expect Andy to be treated with respect we should afford the same to other players.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #101 on: January 26, 2013, 11:12 AM »

The five-set thrashing? It WAS a five-set thrashing. Federer just squeaked two tiebreaks.
The comment I quoted in my post Nigel, the comment I quoted in my post.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #102 on: January 26, 2013, 11:14 AM »

You originally quoted his comment about various journalists reading this website and he responded to that.

What am I missing?
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #103 on: January 26, 2013, 11:17 AM »

Yes that was quite clear to me at least!
IP Logged
Tonedial
Challenger Level

WORTH THE WAIT

Re: Murray wins giant game of Whack the Mole « Reply #104 on: January 26, 2013, 12:09 PM »

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »