Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray withdraws from Basel 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray withdraws from Basel

(Read 6343 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 06:25 PM »

For the first time in a long time he has been smart. His back needs to rest as it really is a severe problem.

I suspect no Paris or World Tour Finals either and a dramatically cut down 2013 schedule.
Now that is really optimistic! Smile  Anyway how do you know what the problem is, given that I suspect that it's known only to his immediate circle and that he was so reluctant to talk about it in the spring when we heard for the first time that there had even been a problem that had hung around since last December, but which didn't stop him winning Brisbane getting to the semis of the AO where he was defeated in a match that lasted just under five hours, and then making the finals of Dubai and Miami.

Also Andy said at the time that he had consulted "top surgeons and physios" and been told that he couldn't do any more damage to his back, whatever ails it, by continuing to play and that he would spend some of the off-season resting and having the problem properly treated.  The massive injections he had then were to get him through to the end of the USO, so the effects have probably worn off by now.  I don't see the medical profession as being gods, but I can't believe they could all get it badly wrong especially as Andy does have a first-class personal physio to keep an eye on things. Andy has always been very careful about his body (too careful in the eyes of some who shall remain unnamed).

Having mentioned it to a physio friend, the speculation (and I repeat speculation) is that it could be a degenerative lumbar disc, something which is common amongst tennis players and golfers and in other sports where constant twisting of the body is involved, but that that condition, although it sounds alarming and can be very painful, is easily treated.
[ Last edit by Aileen October 20, 2012, 06:29 PM ] IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 06:28 PM »

Well I am glad to hear that if it is what your friend suggests, Aileen, that it's easily treatable!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 06:35 PM »

I think it was a combination of virus (or bronchial infection) and back injury flaring up again in Shanghai, which was exactly what Paul Newman of Independent said after the final but people poo pooed the back bit when I reported it as no other comms had picked it up.  
I agree with Aileen that it's disappointing that Andy hasn't put out a statement yet.  And while he has form in the sense of not devulging too much about injuries he does usually put out a statement of apology to tournament organisers.  So can't help but wonder what is going on?
If the back has flared up again, it doesn't necessarily rule out Paris and WTF as it could just be niggling him at this stage.  And he so clearly wants to finish with a bang at the WTF that I don't think he would finish his season now lightly.  I suppose, looking on the bright side, this could be a wake up call about the need to get some proper treatment during the off season and not just carry on regardless.  
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 06:38 PM »

For the first time in a long time he has been smart. His back needs to rest as it really is a severe problem.

I suspect no Paris or World Tour Finals either and a dramatically cut down 2013 schedule.

And what about the Miami tennis cup at the end of November?
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 06:40 PM »

I hope it's not too bad either but he has already skipped Dubai next year to cut his schedule down. I have no inside knowledge of Andy's condition but have seen a lot from my job coaching on how cortisone is no substitute for rest and treatment.

We can only wait and see but I rather he rested the rest of the year and come out with a bang in 2013.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 06:42 PM »

Well I am glad to hear that if it is what your friend suggests, Aileen, that it's easily treatable!
If she is right, and obviously she couldn't make a 100% accurate diagnosis without conducting a physical examination first, then rest is often the best treatment, the problem being that Andy doesn't have that luxury if he wants to reach newer goals, but there is a simple surgical procedure that could, if necessary, be carried out without too much disruption to a person's lifestyle.  But again this is only adding to the speculation.  It could be another problem entirely.  If only Andy would open up about it it would help matters considerably, but if he choses to keep it to himself, well, frustrating though it is, we just have to respect that and wait and see what happens.

I hope it's not too bad either but he has already skipped Dubai next year to cut his schedule down. I have no inside knowledge of Andy's condition but have seen a lot from my job coaching on how cortisone is no substitute for rest and treatment.

We can only wait and see but I rather he rested the rest of the year and come out with a bang in 2013.
If he has to then he has to but it'll be hugely disappointing for him.

Skipping Dubai is a sensible decision.  No point whatsoever in going there from the UK and then rushing over to the US.  He'll lose some ranking points but nothing that he can't make up for elsewhere.

Amyway how's the coaching job going?  Still stuck in the US?

[ Last edit by Aileen October 20, 2012, 06:52 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 06:42 PM »

And what about the Miami tennis cup at the end of November?
I'm sure he can pull out of that if he needs to.  I guess he felt he wanted to support the other Andy and sees it as gentle practice.  But if he needs to rest his back I hope he'll have the sense to do so before getting stuck into training for 2013.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 06:54 PM »

There is nothing wrong with his back back bar the ongoing niggle that has resulted in the greatest season of any British player in 76 years. I thought Andy would play Basel then pretend he was injured for Paris. Instead he's decided to pretend he is injured for Basel and presumably play Paris. Although he may still pretend he is injured for Paris as well. Bottom line is he wants to be fresh as a daisy for the WTF. That is the big one.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 06:55 PM »

Hardly a severe problem given that's he's just won an Olympic gold and a U.S. open title.
I'm sure he has a niggling back problem, nothing more.
You can't vouch for how successful your going to way back when you say you going to take part... mind you, he could wait till nearer the time and get a wild card wich he would always get and saves upsetting the fans and to a much lesser extent, the organisers and sponsors.
Mind you, saying your going to enter way back helps to sell tickets so the aforementioned are still quids.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 06:56 PM »

It somehow came a bit surprisingly, at least to me although there have been certain rumours here on MW. On the one hand a lot of us might be relieved as three weeks of tennis on a high level appeared rather improbable. On the other hand, not knowing what is going on, fearing for the WTF, worrying for his reputation due to a very late withdrawal for the second year leaves me with mixed feelings. Another week without magic tennis is a comparatively little concern.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 06:58 PM »

There is nothing wrong with his back back bar the ongoing niggle that has resulted in the greatest season of any British player in 76 years. I thought Andy would play Basel then pretend he was injured for Paris. Instead he's decided to pretend he is injured for Basel and presumably play Paris. Although he may still pretend he is injured for Paris as well. Bottom line is he wants to be fresh as a daisy for the WTF. That is the big one.

If there is nothing up with his back then please explain the clay season of 2012?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 07:10 PM »

It somehow came a bit surprisingly, at least to me although there have been certain rumours here on MW. On the one hand a lot of us might be relieved as three weeks of tennis on a high level appeared rather improbable. On the other hand, not knowing what is going on, fearing for the WTF, worrying for his reputation due to a very late withdrawal for the second year leaves me with mixed feelings. Another week without magic tennis is a comparatively little concern.
Actually the fact that there has been no statement makes me tend to think there isn't anything to worry about, but I'd still appreciate one as a matter of common courtesy.  It might also stop this thread from going round and round in circles for the next few days as we mull matters over and speculate ad nauseam, which is usually what happens on here when there's no Andy tennis to focus on, and it does become boring very quickly.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 08:51 PM »

This is truly bizzarre though, you type in Andy's name into google nothing about withdrawing from Basel in the news section, nothing on the ATP site nothing on his facebook page, i cannot find any info about this at all, i can't even see anything on the tournament website.  search me
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 09:23 PM »

I'm sure he can pull out of that if he needs to.  I guess he felt he wanted to support the other Andy and sees it as gentle practice.  But if he needs to rest his back I hope he'll have the sense to do so before getting stuck into training for 2013.
I was being a bit flippant with my question Ruthie, because of all the speculation  based on very few facts. It seems a bit odd that Andy should announce just a few days ago that he'll be taking part in this Miami event if he's got a back problem that might take him out of Paris and/or WTF. I'm just going to wait and see....
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 09:49 PM »

This is truly bizzarre though, you type in Andy's name into google nothing about withdrawing from Basel in the news section, nothing on the ATP site nothing on his facebook page, i cannot find any info about this at all, i can't even see anything on the tournament website.  search me
Well I've just looked at the ATP tournament website and Andy's photo has been removed and replaced by Delpo's.  Also on the Basel website the report that he's withdrawn due to (as far as my schoolgirl German can make out) a back problem.  And they don't sound too pleased that he's broken the promise he made last year to play this year.  However it says that the message that Andy was withdrawing came from the ATP's bureau in Monaco, which is very odd and why I can understand the displeasure of the organisers.  Really it's at times like this when I could cheerfully kick his backside!  Surely he could have had the decency to inform them himself?  It does make you wonder just what's going on though.
[ Last edit by Aileen October 20, 2012, 09:54 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »