Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray withdraws from Basel 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray withdraws from Basel

(Read 5731 times)
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #30 on: October 20, 2012, 09:54 PM »

From the tournament website -

The last minute withdrawal of Scotland’s Andy Murray from the Swiss Indoors due to injury has not exactly earned the Olympic champion any new fans from within the tennis world. Many people felt that asking for, and promptly receiving, a wildcard into last year’s tournament in Basel and then pulling out again the following year, despite signing a contract, was not really acceptable. Christoph Schwegler, Basel’s stadium announcer, demonstrated the general, slightly cool feeling. Inspired by the famous song by American Bobby McFerrin, he joked, “Don’t Murray, be happy!”

http://www.swissindoorsbasel.ch/News.443+M5899367386b.0.html
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 09:54 PM »

This is truly bizzarre though, you type in Andy's name into google nothing about withdrawing from Basel in the news section, nothing on the ATP site nothing on his facebook page, i cannot find any info about this at all, i can't even see anything on the tournament website.  search me
Well I've just looked at the ATP tournament website and Andy's photo has been removed and replaced by Delpo's.  Also on the Basel website the report that he's withdrawn due to (as far as my schoolgirl German can make out) a back problem.  And they don't sound too pleased that he's broken the promise he made last year to play this year.  However it says that the message that Andy was withdrawing came from the ATP's bureau in Monaco, which is very odd and why I can understand the displeasure of the organisers.  Really it's at times like this when I could cheerfully kick his backside!  Surely he could have had the decency to inform them himself?

The last minute withdrawal of Scotland’s Andy Murray from the Swiss Indoors due to injury has not exactly earned the Olympic champion any new fans from within the tennis world. Many people felt that asking for, and promptly receiving, a wildcard into last year’s tournament in Basel and then pulling out again the following year, despite signing a contract, was not really acceptable. Christoph Schwegler, Basel’s stadium announcer, demonstrated the general, slightly cool feeling. Inspired by the famous song by American Bobby McFerrin, he joked, “Don’t Murray, be happy!”

Oh dear.  That confirms my own thoughts as stated above.  What a stupid, stupid thing to do just when he was receiving so much acclaim from his fellow players.  OK so end-of-season injuries are not unexpected, and it's unfortunate that these contracts are signed months in advance (a year in this case), but the way Andy has conducted himself here generally leaves a lot to be desired.  I'm quite ashamed of him really, but it does make you wonder just exactly what's going on with him.  Is it something we should be worried about, or not?  #confused.
[ Last edit by Aileen October 20, 2012, 10:10 PM ] IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #32 on: October 20, 2012, 10:11 PM »

Hm. That's odd behaviour indeed.

I'm expecting something similar to last year now - he'll either miss Paris completely, or crash out at an early stage. Then struggle through one or two matches at the WTF before withdrawing.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 10:18 PM »

hmmm that puts paid to my theory that Andy may have been in touch with the organisers after Shanghai and that they'd agreed to wait until last minute in case Andy felt able to play so as to keep their ticket sales up.  I have to agree Andy hasn't exactly covered himself with glory on this one.  Like Aileen it leaves me wondering what is up.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #34 on: October 20, 2012, 10:21 PM »

Hm. That's odd behaviour indeed.

I'm expecting something similar to last year now - he'll either miss Paris completely, or crash out at an early stage. Then struggle through one or two matches at the WTF before withdrawing.
It wouldn't surprise me either nor would it surprise me if he skipped the rest of the season.  It's a bit reminiscent of his last-minute withdrawal from Marseille in 2010, which was also conducted very badly and left the organisers high and dry and very angry.  But where are his team and his agents in all this?  That's even more perplexing.  
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #35 on: October 20, 2012, 10:22 PM »

Hang about folks - this is all pure conjecture.  None of us know for sure what has happened or who told what to whom!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #36 on: October 20, 2012, 10:24 PM »

Good point Aileen as presumably these are the kind of situations that his management team are supposed to sort out for him.
However, apart from the British day event he hasn't really left them high and dry as he withdrew before the draw was made.  And they were able to advertise the 3 Olympic champions in the run up to the competition.  I still find it all rather perplexing though.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #37 on: October 20, 2012, 10:25 PM »

Hang about folks - this is all pure conjecture.  None of us know for sure what has happened or who told what to whom!
Yes but surely it's up to Andy to put an end to this conjecture by coming out now and  telling us the truth?  Fortunately, unlike Marseille, they do have Federer as their No.1 seed, but then there's his major participation in British Day to be considered.  Even if he couldn't play, could he not at least have kept that commitment?
[ Last edit by Aileen October 20, 2012, 10:29 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #38 on: October 20, 2012, 10:27 PM »

Well I'm not sure it's a question of 'truth' or not.  I just think Andy should have put out a statement apologising for letting down the organisers and the fans who have bought tickets and saying why he's withdrawn - without going into great detail necessarily.  I find the continued silence really weird.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #39 on: October 20, 2012, 10:30 PM »

When I said "truth" I was really referring to such a statement, not a whole raft of details.  I must admit I'm feeling quite uneasy now but don't intend to lose any sleep over the matter.  Something surely has to be revealed over the next few days, whether it's a withdrawal from Paris, or some kind of acceptable explanation.
[ Last edit by Aileen October 20, 2012, 11:14 PM ] IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #40 on: October 20, 2012, 10:32 PM »

Google "Andy Murray Basel", limit search to last 24 hours, and 1st match is from Times of India.  2nd and 3rd are from Murrays World!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #41 on: October 20, 2012, 10:34 PM »

Fair enough - it's just that some people are suggesting that Andy is making it all up, which I don't believe for a moment and I don't think you do Aileen.  But didn't want your post to be read as suggesting that.
Anyway I've had enough of the conjecture - as you said in an earlier post we'll just go round and round in circles so I'll call it a night now.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #42 on: October 20, 2012, 10:36 PM »

I certainly don't think Andy is making it up, and that's where the concern lies.

Anyway like you I'm calling it a night now.  No point in making any more speculations.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #43 on: October 20, 2012, 10:49 PM »

I certainly don't think Andy is making it up, and that's where the concern lies.

Of course he's making it up. Funny how he's always fit for the big events isn't it? We were all saying it would be madness to play 3 tournaments in a row. And lo and behold he won't be. I don't blame Andy for this. Its the clowns who scheduled 3 tournaments in 3 weeks that are to blame.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #44 on: October 20, 2012, 11:26 PM »

Well if he is making it up, or exaggerating things because I do believe he does have a niggling back problem, then no wonder he's keeping a low profile.  Come to think of it, there were two alleged sightings of him flying from London to Edinburgh and back on Wednesday, so if true ... Think

I agree about the schedule.  The ATP have had well over a year to rethink the Tour in order to accommodate a longer off-season.  Something's going to have to change, that's for certain.

Anyway as I said before I'm not wasting any more time and energy on pointless conjecture.  What will be will be.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »