Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray withdraws from Basel 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray withdraws from Basel  (Read 5293 times)
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #45 on: October 20, 2012, 11:39 PM »

My only annoyance with Andy is the fact he didn't pull out earlier, or even not enter the tournament at all. Nole imo was clever because he knew playing all these events on the bounce was too much and he didn't enter Basel at all. Why didn't Andy do this? Sure he wanted to make it up to the organisers for last year, but now he looks sillier than he would of if he'd of just not entered. Of course it's scheduling's fault, but I do sometimes question whether Andy enters too many tournaments or not. Of course it's okay for any of the other top 4 to do it, but when Andy does it, he'll be slated. Wonder when smugfed will decide to open his big trap.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #46 on: October 20, 2012, 11:42 PM »

If SmugFed's got any sense he'll keep his mouth shut, but I think that's an impossible feat for him.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #47 on: October 20, 2012, 11:45 PM »

My only annoyance with Andy is the fact he didn't pull out earlier, or even not enter the tournament at all. Nole imo was clever because he knew playing all these events on the bounce was too much and he didn't enter Basel at all. Why didn't Andy do this? Sure he wanted to make it up to the organisers for last year, but now he looks sillier than he would of if he'd of just not entered. Of course it's scheduling's fault, but I do sometimes question whether Andy enters too many tournaments or not. Of course it's okay for any of the other top 4 to do it, but when Andy does it, he'll be slated. Wonder when smugfed will decide to open his big trap.
According to one of the organisers, he signed up last autumn, so presumably right after the tournament was played in order to make up for screwing them around a bit with the wild card. Which would have been before the schedule was out for 2012.

There's no point ripping into Andy right now until we know the whole situation. The silence is strange though, I'll admit. I'm really curious as to Andy's side of the story and why they've not said anything.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #48 on: October 21, 2012, 12:07 AM »

I'm not ripping into him it's just disappointing.  Two years in a row he's had injuries close to the end of the season and it's just a shame because I doubt he'll be able to make a push in the WTF.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #49 on: October 21, 2012, 12:09 AM »

The silence is strange though, I'll admit. I'm really curious as to Andy's side of the story and why they've not said anything.
I'll be a bit surprised if we hear anything of that nature.  From my experience on here, when Andy decides to clam up, then that's it.  It was well known during the Maclagan/Corretja period that Andy told his team not to speak to the media about anything that was going on re his coaching situation.  Fair enough I suppose, but that's what gave rise to over a year of endless and unnecessary speculation since a lot of it could have been avoided had Andy been prepared to be a little more transparent about things.  It kept MW members occupied though!
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #50 on: October 21, 2012, 12:17 AM »

If the boy has pulled out of Basel the who cares?

Life is not as simple as it looks on the outside. Maybe he has some problems at home or just simply misses Kim.

People are annoyed cause he pulled out but would be the first one's to criticize if he got injured playing.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #51 on: October 21, 2012, 12:37 AM »

or just simply misses Kim.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #52 on: October 21, 2012, 12:46 AM »

lol

If the boy has pulled out of Basel the who cares?

Life is not as simple as it looks on the outside. Maybe he has some problems at home or just simply misses Kim.

People are annoyed cause he pulled out but would be the first one's to criticize if he got injured playing.
I doubt he's missing Kim as he's still in London, but I realise that wouldn't necessarily rule out any domestic problems.

I'm not annoyed that he pulled out of Basel.  On the contrary I'm quite relieved because I didn't think playing three tournaments in a row was a wise idea, especially as he was fighting a respiratory virus when he was in the Far East.  What I am annoyed about is the way he's gone about it, i.e. leaving it till the last minute, and the lack of any direct apologetic statement so far to the tournament organisers, the people who paid to see him play, and his fans, and also to the BSCC for messing up their very first British Day.  It's shown him in a bad light, and that is very sad in what is the most successful year of his career.    
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #53 on: October 21, 2012, 03:31 AM »

I'm guessing just as much as everyone else.

I'm disappointed about the last minute announcement, but I blame his PR, not Andy.
I really hope Andy doesn't have to concern himself with all the PR bull****, and, no doubt , he pays some prats mega-bucks for this service.  Rolling Eyes

Let them earn their money, and let our boy get on with his life, and tennis.. in that order.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #54 on: October 21, 2012, 03:52 AM »

Well if it's his PR team they should be ashamed of themselves given that the whole point of having a PR team is to put their clients in the best possible light, something that certainly hasn't happened here.

Anyway I've just googled Andy Murray Basel.  All I came up with was this in Supersport.com -

Spotlight on hometown-hero Federer
20 October 2012, 18:39

Roger Federer will claim the bulk of the spotlight when the ATP Swiss Indoors begins on Monday with his opening showcase match.

The hometown tennis hero and world No 1 will miss the chance at possible revenge against Andy Murray after a Shanghai semifinal defeat a week ago as the US Open champion Scot withdrew with back pain before the draw.

It was Murray's second straight Basle pullout after he quit prior to his first match a year ago with a muscle injury. The new US Open champion has not actually played a match at the venue since his only appearance in 2005 as a teenager.

http://www.supersport.com/tennis/atp/news/121020/Spotlight_on_hometownhero_Federer

So nothing we don't already know about and apparently no mention in the British media either.
[ Last edit by Aileen October 21, 2012, 04:00 AM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #55 on: October 21, 2012, 04:07 AM »

^Thanks Aileen. Like you said..nowt in British media, nor any anything else.

I guess it's time to 'put this to bed' and see how it all comes out in the wash.
Fed will, no doubt, be thrilled not to have to face his nemesis.

Let him have his final bask in the glory of the sunset of his career in front of his adoring fans in his home-town.
He deserves nothing less.

Whatever is going on with Andy, the difference between him and Andy is that Andy will be back Stronger, Fitter, Bigger, Better, Stronger, Younger.. and with a whole lot of years left in the bank account he opened under My Professional Career. yay

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #56 on: October 21, 2012, 04:20 AM »

Before I go to bed (Canadian time) I want to say it's been good to hear from Craig, Boogers, and Joe.
You guys need to post more often, please.

Also, Robbie posted an eloquent post.

Nite all.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #57 on: October 21, 2012, 04:39 AM »

Given what happened last year, I'm sure Andy hasn't pulled out on a whim.  He will have discussed it with his camp and given it careful consideration.  We have no idea what communication he has had with the tournament organisers - there may well have been a dialogue going on since Shanghai.  Players pull out of tournaments all of the time and no-one pays a great deal of attention but then no-one cogitates and ruminates like an Andy fan!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #58 on: October 21, 2012, 06:20 AM »

This precautionary back problem withdrawal may have started during Shanghai tournament. Everybody assumed that Andy's sometime lack lustre performance was owing to a virus.

Perhaps it really was his back that was troubling him after all he a few times against Djokovic he appeared to grab his back.

If the problem is his back then like Boogers he is going to need more than 1 week to fully recover. The Paris Masters and WTF would most definitely be at risk for Andy

Lack lustre??
OK, only that one match against Stepanek seemed to be like that. He looked completely fit for me during the Shanghai Open..
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #59 on: October 21, 2012, 08:38 AM »

I just hope that next year Andy doesn't enter Basel (not so sure they'd welcome him back now anyway). This time of year requires smart scheduling, and playing 2 weeks in a row before a very important tournament isn't it.

His PR team could have handled this better - and Andy should have called in person to apologise. But he's not the first person to upset tournament organisers and he won't be the last (remember how angry the Halle director was after Fed withdrew late - he responded by getting Rafa to play too).
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »
+ Quick Reply