Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray withdraws from Basel 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray withdraws from Basel

(Read 6294 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #60 on: October 21, 2012, 09:03 AM »

How do we know that Andy didn't call in person to apologise?
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #61 on: October 21, 2012, 09:55 AM »

I'm with you Alis, far too much conjecture, we don't know who he has been in touch with and for how long. Neil Harman tweeted that his Swiss friends had said it was unlikely Andy would be playing in Basel so this leads me too think he had been in touch as this was said the day before the draw. Knowing Andy he would have hoped his problem would improve and he would have wanted to play. He like us knew that it would do him no harm to beat Fed in his own backyard. We will know what the problem is and when he next plays soon enough. Give him the benefit of the doubt please.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #62 on: October 21, 2012, 10:00 AM »

It is such a tight schedule...

Basel-- Oct 22 - Oct 28
Paris Masters -- Oct 29 - Nov 4
World Tour Finals -- Nov 5 - Nov 12

It is impossible to play all 3 tournaments, get good results and be fit for the next one. He should focus on the Paris masters and WTF because they are of more points and more important tournaments...He has to defend his Paris Masters' QF points as well so now, I am kind of happy he pulled out of Basel.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #63 on: October 21, 2012, 10:13 AM »

Like lots of us here I worry as well. However lets look at the worse case scenario. If he does have some dreadfully serious back injury that might mean he has to stop playing entirely - like the one that eventually forced Lendl into retirement, then there is nothing any of us can do about it. The important thing is that, when he reaches the end of his playing days, he will retire as a former Grand Slam and Olympic Champion. Retirement will happen to Murray eventually - unlike Federer he is not on  some form of monkey glands giving him eternal youth.
I really doubt if it is anything that serious. I think the addition of the Olympics this year has loused up a lot of players schedules. Perhaps it was a tournament too far. Most of the top ranked players are knackered or carrying some form of injuries at the moment. Most of them play far more matches, given they usually reach the later stages if the tournaments. Some of the semi's and finals this year have been brutal.

Keep the faith folks...!!!
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #64 on: October 21, 2012, 10:16 AM »

In the German news item on the Basel site it says that the news came from the ATP bureau in Monaco (see Aileen's post from last night). The same is now up in the English version. He may well have called since then but it sounds like the initial news came from the ATP rather than Andy himself.

I'm sure Andy knows what he's doing though and withdrawing here will hopefully help him to do well at the WTF.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #65 on: October 21, 2012, 10:17 AM »

Incidentally I don't think that people should worry too much about the steroid injections. I have had 1 or 2 most years for about the last decade. I imagine his medical advisers will be well up on the cost benefit analysis of these things. I can't imagine a couple every so often over 5/6 years will do any long term harm.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #66 on: October 21, 2012, 10:18 AM »

I agree with Masaka, a lot of players have got injuries this year, and looking back at last year it's probably a lot more than last year. Olympics didn't help, of course Andy won it, played doubles AND singles right till the end, so that must've been strenuous on him. But I mean Nishikori is injured, Del Potro was injured during the Asian Swing, Fish had a recurrunce of his heart problem which MAY of been due to playing. I'm sure there's plenty more, and given the lengths Andy's gone this year, and given the fact he's pushed himself extremely hard, I think injury was inevitable. I hope Aileen's friend is right and this back issue is simply fixed. Andy has at least 3 years left where he CAN win Grand Slams and I hope injury doesn't end it sooner.
IP Logged
Anthea
Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #67 on: October 21, 2012, 10:28 AM »

I found this out when I went on the Basel website to see when Andy was playing (after translation) looked on the web to see if there was any other post in this regard. Shame was looking forward to seeing him play again, but looking back at Tokyo  and Shanghai, he did look ill, and commented on how white he looked at the end of his games, hope he is feeling 100% soon.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #68 on: October 21, 2012, 11:12 AM »

Roger Federer gon' be angry!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #69 on: October 21, 2012, 12:16 PM »

I would think Fed will be delighted!

While the official news of withdrawal may well have come from the ATP that doesn't preclude Andy having contacted the organisers privately before that.  We assume far too much.  Am I alone in trusting Andy to do the right thing?
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #70 on: October 21, 2012, 12:28 PM »

While the official news of withdrawal may well have come from the ATP that doesn't preclude Andy having contacted the organisers privately before that.  We assume far too much.  Am I alone in trusting Andy to do the right thing?

He may well have done, though I don't know why the Basel site would have written what they did in their statement if that was the case. Usually if a player has phoned a tournament director personally, the tournament is keen to highlight that. But it could just be an oversight on their part. It's unusual this time that there are no words at all from Andy, not even in the BBC article - usually he does put out a statement.
IP Logged
yvonne fox
Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #71 on: October 21, 2012, 12:29 PM »

I think Andy is doing the right thing by pulling out of the basil tournament,he should think about his health first. Federer will be well pleased.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #72 on: October 21, 2012, 12:32 PM »

No you're not Alis. I seem to remember Andy getting a lot of credit last year for going on court to explain to the crowd why he wasn't playing - something Fed copied soon after. It seems unlikely that he'd have pulled out with no warning this year.

From BBC website

Andy Murray misses Swiss Indoors to rest back injury

US Open champion Andy Murray has withdrawn from the Swiss Indoors event starting on Monday because of injury.

The 25-year-old Scot, who lost to Novak Djokovic in the Shanghai Masters final last weekend, is resting his back ahead of a busy end-of-season schedule.

He plays in the Paris Masters beginning on 29 October and the World Tour Finals in London, which start on 5 November.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/20020862
IP Logged
jennifer donald
Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #73 on: October 21, 2012, 12:52 PM »

I think this is the best thing Andy could do. The schedule is ridiculous , the people who arrange them do not play.  it may be also he had a very nasty bronical infection as well it may be a combination.  I really think we should not read into this. It is his decision preparing him for the next few weeks.  His eyes on the Barclays. Good for him.
he has worked and played hard this year.  Why so much fuss when he withdraws. Fed did a few weeks ago.
IP Logged
Jenny donald
Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #74 on: October 21, 2012, 12:54 PM »

I think this is the best thing Andy could do. The schedule is ridiculous , the people who arrange them do not play.  it may be also he had a very nasty bronical infection as well it may be a combination.  I really think we should not read into this. It is his decision preparing him for the next few weeks.  His eyes on the Barclays. Good for him.
he has worked and played hard this year.  Why so much fuss when he withdraws. Fed did a few weeks ago.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »