Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray withdraws from Basel 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray withdraws from Basel

(Read 6608 times)
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #75 on: October 21, 2012, 12:56 PM »

Roger Federer gon' be angry!

No, he won't. He will be relieved that his chances of winning Basel are now high in the absence of Andy.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #76 on: October 21, 2012, 01:09 PM »

No, he won't. He will be relieved that his chances of winning Basel are now high in the absence of Andy.

Do you not remember his press conference from last year then?
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #77 on: October 21, 2012, 01:24 PM »

What happened? I don't think I am aware of it...are you referring to his comments about Andy's asian swing success?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #78 on: October 21, 2012, 01:24 PM »

I'm sure he was secretly relieved at the time that he had pulled out.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #79 on: October 21, 2012, 01:31 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if Andy withdrew from Paris too, so that he can concentrate what reserves he has on the WTF.  Sure Paris is a Masters but the WTF is so much more prestigious.  To schedule these events back to back is lunacy IMO - certainly as far as the top 10 players are concerned.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #80 on: October 21, 2012, 01:49 PM »

How do we know what hap[pened between the organisers and Andy.  Being the polite young he is I am sure he would have apologised. 

Unfortunately he has to play Paris unless he has a docotr's confirmation that he cannot.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #81 on: October 21, 2012, 02:17 PM »

How do we know that Andy didn't call in person to apologise?

Exactly, but sticking the boot in is easier than waiting for facts isn't it? Personally I don't care what Andy has done or said, or if he has apologised to anyone. It's his life, his career, and he can do what he bloody well likes with it.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #82 on: October 21, 2012, 02:49 PM »

Without knowing who spoke to whom about Andy's withdrawal, this has all the makings of a PR disaster.

After his Wimbledon final loss to Federer, followed up by his speech; his Olympic Gold Medal victory over Federer; and his USO first slam win, his PR relationships and world-wide support with the press and all tennis fans was at an all-time high. Now this!

It's as if Andy has made 3 steps forward and 2 1/2 back. Such a shame!

Andy is of course his own man, but he should have been more forthcoming in letting people know and in good time. I don't believe that Basel will accept him next year.

His withdrawal may have been wise for health reasons, but his fans and maybe the organisers have been badly mislaid and let down.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #83 on: October 21, 2012, 03:00 PM »

Why have his fans been misled and let down?  O.K. so maybe you're disappointed at not being able to watch him this week - tough - players withdraw all the time - get over it.  As far as I can see nobody else is particularly interested in Andy's withdrawal from Basel.  The majority of his vociferous critics don't even know that tournaments take place outside the Majors but then who needs them when Andy's fans make enough song and dance for everyone else?!
[ Last edit by Alis October 21, 2012, 06:25 PM ] IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #84 on: October 21, 2012, 03:17 PM »

OK, I am actually getting fed up with this talk about him not making an earlier statement...initially, I was also dissapointed, but now I feel we should stand by him. After all, if we don't, who will?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #85 on: October 21, 2012, 03:28 PM »

He may well have done, though I don't know why the Basel site would have written what they did in their statement if that was the case. Usually if a player has phoned a tournament director personally, the tournament is keen to highlight that. But it could just be an oversight on their part.
I've now come across a report in Sports Mole, dated and timed Friday morning, when they state that Andy was expected to withdraw from the tournament because he needed to rest after Shanghai.  Although no reason is given why this was necessary it certainly suggests that the organisers were aware of the situation before the official announcement from the ATP was received that night, so is it simply the case that they've have taken the miff, especially as he was to be the star attraction of the British Day event?  If this is the case, then whilst I can understand their disappointment, I do feel they could have been a bit more gracious about it.

It's unusual this time that there are no words at all from Andy, not even in the BBC article - usually he does put out a statement.
Having cooled down, I think I can understand now perhaps why Andy hasn't put out a statement.  He withdrew from Madrid for the same reason and posted a statement on the tournament's website.  It didn't cause too much comment at the time but later, when he had to receive on-court treatment for a back spasm (which wasn't the original problem) during his match against Nieminen at RG, he was publicly accused by certain persons who should have known better of being a drama queen.  I don't think he would want to risk being vilified again should he require similar or other treatment during either Paris or the WTF, something that can't be ruled out for any player particularly at this stage of the season.

Without knowing who spoke to whom about Andy's withdrawal, this has all the makings of a PR disaster.

After his Wimbledon final loss to Federer, followed up by his speech; his Olympic Gold Medal victory over Federer; and his USO first slam win, his PR relationships and world-wide support with the press and all tennis fans was at an all-time high. Now this!

Andy is of course his own man, but he should have been more forthcoming in letting people know and in good time. I don't believe that Basel will accept him next year.

His withdrawal may have been wise for health reasons, but his fans and maybe the organisers have been badly mislaid and let down. 
I suggest you read my above response to Katie.  If I'm correct, then I don't think Andy would even want to play in Basel next year.  Also is it such a PR disaster?  Perhaps a year ago it might have ruffled a few feathers, but Andy has a whole new status now.  Yes there will still be some petty-minded people in the UK who'll have a go at him, but I believe that his global standing will more than compensate for this, especially if he does well in the WTF - and we are, after all, talking about a withdrawal from a 500, not a Slam.

[ Last edit by Aileen October 21, 2012, 03:57 PM ] IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #86 on: October 21, 2012, 03:32 PM »

I don't understand why he entered in the first place. Silly decision.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #87 on: October 21, 2012, 03:38 PM »

Barely anyone's even noticed. Most people in the UK will just see he's withdrawn and think nothing else of it. It's only us who are really paying any attention.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #88 on: October 21, 2012, 06:05 PM »

I don't understand why he entered in the first place. Silly decision.

Agree.
This end of the year schedule is insane. What's more many players besides Andy have injuries to consider.
The ATP better stop killing the golden geese.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #89 on: October 21, 2012, 06:13 PM »

I think we could see a revised schedule next year or the year after.  I can't believe the top players won't have had something to say to the ATP about it.  There really does need to be a gap between Paris and the WTF, especially if the WTF is moved outside Europe.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »