Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray withdraws from Basel 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray withdraws from Basel

(Read 6721 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #105 on: October 22, 2012, 02:39 PM »

I don't agree with you Aileen re #2 ranking as Nole has a lot of points to defend next year and Andy has far less as he only won Brisbane up to the Olympics, and he is going for the Slams and the majors.
Yes but he's still going to have his work cut out, and he's said so himself.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #106 on: October 22, 2012, 02:42 PM »

Fed has a lot as well, so has Rafa and so I think he will get to #2 and hopefully by the summer he could be #1.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #107 on: October 22, 2012, 04:00 PM »

Fed has a lot as well, so has Rafa and so I think he will get to #2 and hopefully by the summer he could be #1.
The way things are going with Fed and Rafa it might make life easier for Andy.  Like many on here I see Djokovic is being his main rival, and a lot is going to depend on how well Andy does in the clay-court season

Teejay1 and Gnome - totally agree. I think we forget on here, sometimes that very few of us know the man personally? I have never even seen him in the flesh. Following him and supporting him is great - personally it's given me a new interest in my ill health retirement. I don't think he owes any of us anything.
Whatever he does from here on is fine by me. I don't watch him for the GS performances. I watch him for those matches when he goes out on the court and is unplayable. The last two Fed matches, and Raonic at the US Open being cases in points. The Olympic Final brought me great joy, partly because it was unexpected in a way, but mainly because of the joy on his face when he did it. I like to see people getting their just deserts. That match did it for both Murray and Fed.
I will continue to watch him and enjoy him regardless of how many trophies he lifts.
Good posting! and that goes for Teejay and The Gnome as well.

Anyway I see that the tournament organisers, the ATP and, of course, the Swiss media are positively drooling over Federer now that they don't have Andy to concern themselves with.  Talk about ego massaging - as if Fed's wasn't already grossly inflated! Rolling Eyes  I don't expect it will happen, but it would be lovely if it did and Fed got knocked out.  Don't forget he lost the final in his other "home" tournament, the Gerry Weber Open in Halle, where he was beaten by Tommy Haas in straight sets, making a load of UEs in the process.  Fed is no longer invincible much as he and his fans like to think he is.

I hate conspiracy theories; but a player withdrawing with a fake injury isn't really a conspiracy - it's common practice in sport.
Of course it is, but the difference here is that I don't think Andy is faking.  I do think he has a genuine niggling back problem but hopefully not a serious one.  In fact if it had been serious I'm sure he wouldn't have continued playing as he did, which, in the circumstances, would have been extremely unfortunate.  As he's very careful about his body, he did the sensible thing and sought professional advice which possibly included 2nd or even 3rd opinions, was given assurances that he couldn't cause any more damage by playing, and then had massive cortisone injections to see him through until after the USO.  Inevitably though the effect of these injections will have started to wear off.  What he does now is ultimately up to him - he knows the situation, we don't - but he'll be making very sure that he's 100% fit by the start of next season.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #108 on: October 22, 2012, 05:01 PM »

I don't see what all the fuss is about. If Andy is injured he is right to rest, after all we do not know what is going on. He is the one who has to play the matches and if he does have a niggle and feels he is not fit then that's his decision. He would be mad to play Basel,Paris and the WTF. without a break I am sure he will have discussed this with his team. We will all just have to wait and see what happens.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #109 on: October 22, 2012, 05:07 PM »

LB I've more or less said that in my last post and I don't think anyone's disputing the facts now.  I think we should stop all this discussion and wait for events to unfold.  It's pointless and disrespectful to Andy as well for us to continue dissecting this matter.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #110 on: October 22, 2012, 05:29 PM »

Frown  are we arguing again... over what?  shocking...  lol.  Cmon  now,  pointless really.  

This is Andy's decision. Not yours.    It is probably an injury that Andy has,    or are you Andy's doctor, or some kind of Whizz Mind reading genius? and if he's not injured not . Then who bloody cares.  stuff like this happens.  what can you do.

and I think this is the correct decision.  Do you really want Andy to be going into the WTF running on vapours?  Didn't think so   so shut it please.  Ok thanks.
[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 October 22, 2012, 05:48 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #111 on: October 22, 2012, 05:41 PM »

lol Andy "running on vapours" ... love it!
IP Logged
jennifer donald
Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #112 on: October 22, 2012, 07:27 PM »

I agree lets leave everything alone. Andy is the one that has to play. The schedule is stupid but fed has to play as he won basle, paris and the o2, so has a big problem as he is another year older. he has a lot of points to defend.
 Andy will be fine.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #113 on: October 23, 2012, 03:17 PM »

Interesting interview with Lendl recently talking about looking forward to working on a few things with Andy in Miami for a few weeks and sitting down and planning the schedule for next year.  It looks as though Andy will play Paris to get some matches under his belt in time for the WTF.  It would not surprise me if Andy went out in the quarter or semi finals of Paris in order to conserve his fitness for the WTF and it is interesting that Lendl specifically mentioned the schedule for 2013, could this mean they are targetting the No 1 spot for 2013/14?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #114 on: October 23, 2012, 05:41 PM »

wow - Andy's withdrawal from Basel has gone to 8 pages. lol

Basel was a big mistake last year. Andy was high after the Asian swing and wasn't thinking clearly, so he just went for it – didn’t pay off in the end. Federer took it personally we all know it. And it's a mistake this year as well. Like Dubai, Andy needs to take some of the tournaments off his schedule next year. This will be the key to his quest for No. 1 ranking and also, it will keep him healthy and motivated throughout the year. His career needs a lot of planning from this point on and can’t just decide something randomly out of the blue. It needs very specific planning and a very clearly defined strategy.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #115 on: October 23, 2012, 05:42 PM »

Oh and I don't think there’s anything seriously wrong with Andy - just probably a precautionary thing and saving himself for the bigger one.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #116 on: October 23, 2012, 05:51 PM »

He's training today. Looks fine in the pics.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #117 on: October 23, 2012, 06:14 PM »

Yeah, I saw those training pictures on the picutre thread. Good for him. Can't really wait for WTF!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #118 on: October 23, 2012, 08:05 PM »

Interesting interview with Lendl recently talking about looking forward to working on a few things with Andy in Miami for a few weeks and sitting down and planning the schedule for next year.  It looks as though Andy will play Paris to get some matches under his belt in time for the WTF.  It would not surprise me if Andy went out in the quarter or semi finals of Paris in order to conserve his fitness for the WTF and it is interesting that Lendl specifically mentioned the schedule for 2013, could this mean they are targetting the No 1 spot for 2013/14?
The No.1 spot is indeed the priority, whether next year or the following one.

He's training today. Looks fine in the pics.
yay  So no serious problem with his back then, not that I really doubted it, but hopefully he will get the niggle sorted out before next season.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray withdraws from Basel « Reply #119 on: October 24, 2012, 05:59 AM »

Yeah, I saw those training pictures on the picutre thread. Good for him. Can't really wait for WTF!

Yeah, my attention is to that too and just wish he doesn't play Paris too and focusses on winning the WTF.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »