Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray's purple patch on magenta centre 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's purple patch on magenta centre

(Read 4239 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray's purple patch on magenta centre « on: August 03, 2012, 08:41 PM »

Andy Murray produced a stirring display of pulsating tennis to outmanoeuvre, out-think and outplay Novak Djokovic today, 7-5 7-5, to fire himself into the gold-medal match at the London Olympics.

The surroundings at SW19 were foreign. The TV commentary was audible to the players, the music blared around the court and the magenta Centre looked as loud and lurid as the gunshot tennis produced by Murray and Djokovic.

Some things, though, were ever familiar. Not least the need for Murray, following Roger Federer’s 19-17 third-set defeat of Juan Martin Del Potro, to beat two of the world’s finest-ever players to win a pinnacle tennis tournament.

The match started as it meant to go on, Murray playing with an absolute purpose driven by a pulsing desire to take a tilt at Olympic gold.

In the early exchanges, the Scot moved the Serb laterally like a TV camera at the dog track. Where Murray was active, Djokovic was passive. Where Murray scorched his way to net, the world number two hung back, allowing the Scot to take his chances in the forecourt.

Read more (380 words)
This was the first meeting between these two friends on this surface. On this evidence, they should do grass more often, because this was smoking.

It was never more so than at 5-6 with Djokovic serving to stay in the set. Imaginative and expansive hitting from both men, with groundshots like rifle cracks in the evening air, saw Murray moving the Serb around like a hapless puppet.

At 30-30, Murray mixed pace and spin with width to bamboozle Djokovic and steal into the net behind a stretching forehand and bring up a set point. When Murray whipped a forehand passing shot off the turf to take the set, the crowd were suddenly off their seats, sucking the oxygen out of the air and sensing an upset.

The tale of the first-set tape was impressive enough: 68% first-serve success, 11 winners and five unforced errors. But a mental holiday beckoned in the first game of the second set as two unforced errors and an astute lob from Djokovic earned a break point.

Murray snuffed out the flickering flame with some sharp net action and yet more thumping play off the ground.

This was a Murray raised aloft by millions of voices, a man determined to further break down the barriers with the British public that began to fall after his Wimbledon final defeat on this court just four weeks earlier. An astounding diving half volley missed by a bee’s eyebrow, but the crowd, more blue jeans than Wimbledon’s typical white collars, were loving it.

As the second set drew towards a pulsating climax, the pair’s groundshots were drilled with ever-increasing beef into each other’s territories. The retrieving was elastic, the volleying sharp and committed.

With Djokovic serving at 5-6, Murray pummelled his way to 0-15, got lucky when the Serb went long with his approach, and scorched a forehand return to set up three match points. The Scot then fired a bullet backhand at Djokovic’s feet to seal the deal and the crowd were punching the sky and stealing the nitrogen from the London air.

Rarely has Murray looked so energised and enervated on a major stage. Nevertheless, the depth of his Olympic ambition will be laid bare when he goes toe-to-toe with Federer for a crack at Olympic gold this Sunday.
[ Last edit by Mark August 04, 2012, 06:01 PM ] IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray’s purple patch on magenta centre « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 08:50 PM »

Awesome performance - excellent stuff. Now take the Gold!
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Murray’s purple patch on magenta centre « Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 08:52 PM »

Is someone posting on your account?!
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray’s purple patch on magenta centre « Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 08:52 PM »

Great performance by Andy! Love to see him get revenge and a the Gold at once!  cmon yeah
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray’s purple patch on magenta centre « Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 08:52 PM »

Hey Phil, you know he can't hear you right?
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray’s purple patch on magenta centre « Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 08:52 PM »

Atta boy Phil!
Nigel had to watch a *cough* Olympic match. Let's cut him some slack while he works on his Olympic-worthy linguistics. Very Happy
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray’s purple patch on magenta centre « Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 08:56 PM »

Hey Phil, you know he can't hear you right?

No, really? doh
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray’s purple patch on magenta centre « Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 08:59 PM »

So proud wub Andy showed such steel and such emotion. yahooo yahooo yahooo Think he wants to give something back after the support he got after Wimbledon. wub
Let's Go Andy! Let's Go. yay yay yay
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray’s purple patch on magenta centre « Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 09:04 PM »

I don't care what Nigel writes all I know is that I feel so PROUD of Andy and so happy for him too.  This has been a long time coming.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray’s purple patch on magenta centre « Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 09:05 PM »

I cant wait for the full report and to watch the match again,  and relive every moment.

Congratulations Andy. Well earned victory.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray’s purple patch on magenta centre « Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 09:10 PM »

Great point BBH - I do think Andy has appreciated the wave of support he is getting and it has helped him fight even harder. Good for him; he has done everyone proud already by getting at least a silver. A gold would be like icing on the cake. COME ON ANDY!  yay
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray’s purple patch on magenta centre « Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 09:20 PM »

What a match Andy played. He was so determined to win, and never gave up. I'm so proud of him and he now knows how he is appreciated, the crowd were wonderful and were behind him all the way. As Andrew Castle said it was a good thing the roof wasn't on as it would have landed in Putney.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray’s purple patch on magenta centre « Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 09:20 PM »

His performance and composure was superb, wonderful. now he has to get his revenge over fed. after all I think fed might be weary but he is a strong competitor. He has either a Gold or Silver. I think it could be gold. he looks very determined to me.
he has all the support from the british publc now wonderful and Kate and Will be there.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray’s purple patch on magenta centre « Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 09:22 PM »

What's the weather forecast for Sunday people?  We don't want the bloody roof closed! naughty

Andrew Castle, BBC Sport

"The tears flow again for Murray on Centre Court. Take a bow, lad. Awesome stuff."
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray’s purple patch on magenta centre « Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 09:24 PM »

Great victory Andy you are the boy, go forth and go one step further and show Fed the balance of power is shifting.  So proud of you and the crowd were immense.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »