Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray's touchpaper finally lights up O2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's touchpaper finally lights up O2

(Read 2750 times)
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray's touchpaper finally lights up O2 « Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 11:44 PM »

congrats to andy - he really fought through today.

forgive me, but what's "touchpaper"?
The touchpaper is the part on a firecracker or rocket that is lit in order to ignite the firework.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray's touchpaper finally lights up O2 « Reply #31 on: November 06, 2012, 06:47 AM »

Thanks Nigel, that was an exciting read, especially as I missed it.  So glad Andy took care of Berdych right off the bat, couldn’t be happier with the result, though I’d love to have seen it.  Good for him & bonus points for doing it despite a lousy crowd.  Anyone who will be there next time, please give him many enthusiastic cheers for us all.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray's touchpaper finally lights up O2 « Reply #32 on: November 06, 2012, 08:27 AM »

Nice report Nigel- sorry that I failed to mention it before..
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Murray's touchpaper finally lights up O2 « Reply #33 on: November 06, 2012, 08:56 AM »

Good write-up Nigel. Spiffing.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray's touchpaper finally lights up O2 « Reply #34 on: November 06, 2012, 06:07 PM »

Haven't had time to read much since getting back from the O2 last night - so will just comment on the crowd.

I was really excited to be there for Andy's first London appearance since Olympics and Grand Slam, and when he was announced everyone around me was on their feet, cheering and clapping. It was hard to hear how much noise we were making because there was so much noise already with the music and announcements.  It may well have been turned down a bit for TV.

When the match got going, I was surprised how quiet it was at times. It's only my second experience of live tennis, and I'd forgotten how different it is with no commentators wittering away between points! I was on my own, but I expeceted the people around me to at least talk amongst themselves after most points, but it all just felt rather tense - especially the first set. I thought we did better as Andy did, and we relaxed a bit.

I was up high, and applauded, whooped, cheered and clapped encouragingly as much as I could, with the odd "Come on Andy" (as did many others), but I was desperately hoping there'd be a group of people somewhere who would get something more going, and then I think lots would have joined in. Individual stuff all sounded a bit puny from where I was sitting, and I wasn't quite brave enough to boss the people around me - sorry!

There was one very loud "Let's go Andy, Let's go" - but it stopped abruptly and never happened again. I liked "Come on Olympic Champion" shouted out from way up high at one point.

The couple next to me had a large Saltire flag they waved occasionally, the couple in front of them had a small one and a Union flag, and in front of them was another large Saltire - so I'd hoped for some Braehead atmosphere around me, but it didn't happen.

I thought the evening match was going to be a lot noisier, as there were fewer empty seats, a lot more beer, and two of the biggest entertainers. But it all trailed off after a bit, as both players were a bit disappointing really with errors all over the place.

For anyone that's going - it was really hot, so wear layers you can take off and take some water! Have a great time.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks Nigel for the report.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's touchpaper finally lights up O2 « Reply #35 on: November 06, 2012, 06:36 PM »

sound like you did your best Elena in difficult conditions!
can anyone who is there today let us know if they saw Andy practising and at what time as he tends to be a creature of habit with practice times on days he's not playing and  would be nice to see him if I can on Thursday.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray's touchpaper finally lights up O2 « Reply #36 on: November 06, 2012, 07:26 PM »

We could do with having some of the Stirling University crowd there tomorrow.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray's touchpaper finally lights up O2 « Reply #37 on: November 06, 2012, 07:33 PM »

I have a theory that some groups of people are given free seats prior to the event if they come and make a lot of noise.
Anyone remember the Berdych fans at the AO? They were outrageously vocal.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's touchpaper finally lights up O2 « Reply #38 on: November 07, 2012, 11:55 AM »

I have a theory that some groups of people are given free seats prior to the event if they come and make a lot of noise.

do you think if I go along and ask for an audition with my loud voice they might give me a front seat?  Whistle
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's touchpaper finally lights up O2 « Reply #39 on: November 07, 2012, 01:02 PM »

The touchpaper is the part on a firecracker or rocket that is lit in order to ignite the firework.

Oh! Thanks. Smile
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray's touchpaper finally lights up O2 « Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 06:00 PM »

Well the bongo guy was there all week at the Paris Masters so I think your theory is correct.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »