Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier

(Read 3333 times)
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #45 on: July 04, 2012, 11:44 PM »

Murray wasn't nervous at all, couldn't disagree more with the nonsense in the headline, in fact it was a performance which more than anything exemplified his total absence of nerves.  Outstanding really because make no mistake, Ferrer played fantastically well, better than he ever has against Andy before, even when he beat him.  He is really making much fewer mistakes, and while he lacks Andy's resolve and belief at the big moments, he impressed me no end.  A much improved player who is destined alas to achieve little of note, an indication in itself of the quality at the top.

Tsonga is ideal for Andy, because although he moves well, it is nothing like the road runner.  He has handled his serve well in the end.  Could easily be 4 sets again, but Andy in the final is all that matters.

Nailed on to be the second match on friday I am sure.  Can't wait really.  Let's talk about the final when it comes, can't wait to savour the moment when he makes his first wimby final, its a journey I have been with him on ever since he started playing.  I remember the days when he was playing in challengers at aptos and binghampton and so on, at tournaments where the press areas had no internet, and it sometimes took quite a while to find out what had happened, never mind live scores.  We have been with him on other slam finals, winter mornings up early in Australia and tense late monday night in New York, but sunday would be so different and special for all of us.

Andy is one of the most underrated role-models we have in British sport, a true athlete and sportsman, dedicated to his family and his girlfriend, who works incredibly hard, is respectful of opponents, who doesn't offer any airs or graces, any pretence, just a down to earth and incredibly hard working and committed young man.  Always proud of him and to be a fan.  Just hope this can be his year, but certainly the final is something he just has to take.  He will overcome Tsonga.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #46 on: July 05, 2012, 12:18 AM »

Proud of the determination and grit shown by Andy today. You could see that he has come a long way since last year when he allowed that missed FH against Rafa get to him. In the 2nd & 4th set TBs, he had the mental fortitude and bravery to nail the DTL FHs. I believe we may start the see the fruits of working with Ivan bearing.

I for one is not getting carried away just yet. I hope Andy continues to get better and better from here on.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #47 on: July 05, 2012, 12:27 AM »

Well well - I had to leave at 1 set all and only just seen the highlights. He couldn't nail a winner for love nor money in the first two sets and his first serve was non-existant. It seems that by the end, he was sending down aces/unreturnables and blasting the ball into all the corners. What suddenly clicked? He looked totally and down and out towards the end of that second set.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #48 on: July 05, 2012, 12:36 AM »

Hypothetical of course but my favoured final would be Murray vs Fed- i just think at wimbledon with the crowd support after all the snide comments Smugerer has said about Andy in the past, he'd be so damn fired up. it would be my dream, to watch him beat Fed in a Wimbledon final...ahhh one can only imagine!

I do think however feds unlikley to beat Novak, and Andy is a 50:50 vs Tsonga so go figure...

Think Hmmm, the crowd will still cheer a lot for Fed which could neutralize that advantage Murray has. The crowd here seems to worship Fed, at least in the matches I've watched, for e.g., in the Benneteau match. By contrast, they seemed to be cheering for the Rafa upset, and spurring on Rosol.  Besides which, I couldn't bear to see Murray lose to Fed, though I could stand to see him win against him!  I'm hoping for Nole and Murray because they're my two favourites so I'd be happy either way.

But first, Tsonga!  pray  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #49 on: July 05, 2012, 12:38 AM »

Jesus Christ, I appologise for the spelling, grammar and outright crap nature of that report. I've re-written it.
A very fair report and one that mustn't have been easy to write given the twists and turns of this match.  But "... the roof lumbered into action"?  Unless I was too stressed to notice, I don't think they closed it.  A minor point though.  Excellent choice of title by the way.

I imagine playing Ferrer must be like playing against a brick wall.  His sheer doggedness and staying-power are amazing.  Andy certainly managed to dig himself out of a hole, but his increasingly nervous and slow starts here are a worry.  He got away with it against Cilic and Ferrer but Tsonga will be a different matter (sorry, I can't think about the final let alone who he might meet).  An exciting match nonetheless and I'm proud of Andy for coming through with flying colours in the end.

If the BBC's weather forecast is to be believed, torrential downpours are expected on Thursday night through Friday, so it'll be interesting to see what decision is taken about the roof.  I accept it's an outdoor tournament but having stop-start matches in the semis of a Slam isn't fair to the players when that facility is available.

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #50 on: July 05, 2012, 12:44 AM »

Great report.

The standard of reporting on here is far, far better than the likes of BBC's match reports.

Also, what's with all this talk as if Andy is already in the final? Talk about counting your chickens! I'm bloody nervous about Tsonga and don't have a clue which way the Semi will go, Tsonga can be so dangerous when he's firing (which you have to imagine he will be).

Also, I don't remember Andy playing Tsonga in 2010 at all. I don't remember much from that tournament to be honest, come to think of it.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #51 on: July 05, 2012, 12:51 AM »

3 hours later I'm still mentally exhausted.  Tsonga might get a set if he hits a hot streak but that'll be it - he just doesn't have the consistency to hurt Andy too much.  Don't see Federer getting a set off Novak.  Novak will be a 80:20 favourite against Andy but......who knows?
He was pretty bloody consistent in the last three sets against Federer last year.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #52 on: July 05, 2012, 12:52 AM »

I don't remember Andy playing Tsonga in 2010 at all. I don't remember much from that tournament to be honest, come to think of it.
I just remember the Queen's final last year and that was a very close match (3-6 7-6 (7-2) 6-4).  Andy was at the top of his game in that tournament so he'll have to be equally so on Friday.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #53 on: July 05, 2012, 12:57 AM »

I just remember the Queen's final last year and that was a very close match (3-6 7-6 (7-2) 6-4).  Andy was at the top of his game in that tournament so he'll have to be equally so on Friday.
Aye yes, that's all I remember too. That match was so close as well, all boiled down to that 2nd set tie-break ultimately.

I certainly think it's much too early to be thinking about the final. It wasn't until about 10 minutes after the QF that I started thinking about the SF. Tsonga is going to be a big challenge and if Andy's not on his game, he will be punished. I just hope we don't all end up massively disappointed come Friday. Andy's got enough pressure without needing to heap more on him!
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #54 on: July 05, 2012, 01:03 AM »

Mad Hatter, I have highlights of the match from Espn classic that I recorded a couple of weeks ago.

Tsonga took the first set on a tiebreak and was serving at 5-4 in the second set tie break and netted a volley. At 5-5 he had another volley from Murrays return that he could have played but he left the ball to drift long only for it to drop inside the baseline and give Andy a set point which he took as Tsonga sent a second serve return long.  Michael Caine was in the Royal Box as well.  Murray then went though the gears in the next couple of sets.  6-2 6-2.
[ Last edit by Geo July 05, 2012, 07:14 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #55 on: July 05, 2012, 01:10 AM »

I just hope we don't all end up massively disappointed come Friday. Andy's got enough pressure without needing to heap more on him!
Absolutely.  Murray-mania in the media will be going into overdrive now, and it was bad enough following the Cilic match.
IP Logged
Knights
Junior

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #56 on: July 05, 2012, 03:23 AM »

I hope it is a Fed/Murray final because Djokovic tends to play epics and ends up winning them.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #57 on: July 05, 2012, 06:24 AM »

I have not managed to watch the match but my OH saw it and was very impressed with Murray's fortitude and demeanour.  I do feel that Lendl is having an effect and possibly part of that is Lendl's attitude towards Andy.

Andy's record against Tsonga can only have a good effect on the match(5-1,and he has beaten him always on grass). Thsi, unlike Queen's, is a 5 setter which gives more time.  I felt that a match against Ferrer would be the most difficult apart from Nadal.

I will still, as ususal, be very nrevous but will be at work so unable to watch.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #58 on: July 05, 2012, 06:28 AM »

Hope Andy tucks himself up at home with Kim and the dogs tender and doesn't have any contact with the media. Sticking tongue out.
Hope Nole thrashes Fed. Am sure he will. Sword fight
scotsgeek@ 11.44 pm clap

A whole day for us to recover, not nearly long enough. Whistle
IP Logged
Seafarer
Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #59 on: July 05, 2012, 09:19 AM »

Good description of play but the roof did not lumber into action in last set! Players went off until shower ended and match completed with roof open. Cheers.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »