Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier

(Read 3487 times)
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #60 on: July 05, 2012, 12:50 PM »

Yes, the roof was not on. Ferrer played his usual amazing game. The match was the best one yet. The other sides have been pretty boring. Andy was outstanding and it overwhelmed my heart to see him win it.

Onward & upwards, Andy!  Let’s keep thinking about one match at a time.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #61 on: July 05, 2012, 02:15 PM »

fantastic performance by Andy against Ferrer.  Nerves ?!  what nerves!!! ?!!?!

here is a couple of quotes from Lendl

“Keep it quiet. Keep it the same. Don’t read the press. Don’t turn on the computer.” Lendl to

When pressed on ESPN, Ivan Lendl on what he needs to do to get Andy Murray to the next level, “Hopefully to win seven matches in a major.”
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #62 on: July 05, 2012, 02:55 PM »

^ Good advice from Lendl. Where you get that from, John?
IP Logged
David Taylor
Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #63 on: July 05, 2012, 04:01 PM »

ha ha solid, although he seems to be doing the trick!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #64 on: July 05, 2012, 05:59 PM »

This match was just too good to watch.....it was just amazing guys, seriously.... I LOVE YOU ANDY!!!!!!! Heart
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #65 on: July 05, 2012, 07:12 PM »

Heart
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #66 on: July 05, 2012, 07:36 PM »

Murray wasn't nervous at all, couldn't disagree more with the nonsense in the headline, in fact it was a performance which more than anything exemplified his total absence of nerves.  Outstanding really because make no mistake, Ferrer played fantastically well, better than he ever has against Andy before, even when he beat him.  He is really making much fewer mistakes, and while he lacks Andy's resolve and belief at the big moments, he impressed me no end.  A much improved player who is destined alas to achieve little of note, an indication in itself of the quality at the top.

Tsonga is ideal for Andy, because although he moves well, it is nothing like the road runner.  He has handled his serve well in the end.  Could easily be 4 sets again, but Andy in the final is all that matters.

Nailed on to be the second match on friday I am sure.  Can't wait really.  Let's talk about the final when it comes, can't wait to savour the moment when he makes his first wimby final, its a journey I have been with him on ever since he started playing.  I remember the days when he was playing in challengers at aptos and binghampton and so on, at tournaments where the press areas had no internet, and it sometimes took quite a while to find out what had happened, never mind live scores.  We have been with him on other slam finals, winter mornings up early in Australia and tense late monday night in New York, but sunday would be so different and special for all of us.

Andy is one of the most underrated role-models we have in British sport, a true athlete and sportsman, dedicated to his family and his girlfriend, who works incredibly hard, is respectful of opponents, who doesn't offer any airs or graces, any pretence, just a down to earth and incredibly hard working and committed young man.  Always proud of him and to be a fan.  Just hope this can be his year, but certainly the final is something he just has to take.  He will overcome Tsonga.
I agree with everything you say, however Andy looked a tad nervous in the opening games. He usually says he is nervous at the start of a big match match. After all, there was a lot at stake, Ferrer has beaten him recently and he knew he could do it again.
I have often wondered why he cannot overcome his nerves, and let loose from the first ballstrike.

He must experience something like actors do, kind of stage fright before a performance.

I am filled with admiration for this young guy.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #67 on: July 05, 2012, 07:56 PM »

Am I sitting on the fence!  Oh yes - my arse is full of splinters! 
It must be one helluva big fence. roflmao....How,s it going Elly? bigarmhug
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #68 on: July 05, 2012, 08:39 PM »

Andy played really well against Ferrer yesterday and he had some serious clutch moments especially when he fell behind both in the 2nd and 2nd TB and in the 4th set, when he was 14-40 down in the 7th game. To be honest, I am not sure why he struggles so much against Ferrer, because just last year Tsogna totally dismissed Ferrer in three straight sets. So I feel had Andy been equally aggressive from the start, then I think he would have been able to close it out in straight sets as well. Perhaps a couple of tight sets followed by an easy 3rd set. Andy now looks slightly exhausted because of this nearly 4 hour long marathon.

But fortunately for him, he now has a player like Tsonga waiting for him in the semi and not another marathon runner like Nadal. So that's the best thing of this draw so far, clearly.

That being said and thinking ahead, I would never want Federer in the final. The risks/downsides are simply too high. If he gets a win over both Nole and Andy, then we will never hear the end of it - both from him and his fans, and he would never want to retire after that. And we badly need him gone. The consequences are just too big. He'll have another GS, will be back to No. 1 again, and will be extremely delusional and who in their right mind wants that. Another thing is, Federer won't give Andy any time to think. He will simply be very keen on blowing Andy off the court as quickly as possible. He knows Andy will be nervous and he will totally capitalize on it. Against Nole, Andy will be able to keep him in the rally for long and that will give him enough time to recover and get a proper handle of himself before things get out of hand. It’s a better hope IMO and possible. And if Nole wins, then it's not going to be as big a deal. He's the No 1 player and currently the biggest player on tour. Besides, I feel Nole is slightly vulnerable so even tomorrow's match I am not sure how it will go. And also, just because Andy had a tough draw and he handled it pretty well doesn’t really mean he’s ready to deal with Federe in the final as well. A Slam final is altogether a different animal and no one knows this better than Andy.

Anyway, I would definitely like Andy to thrash Federer in a GS final but now just doesn’t seem like the time, but it can still happen though. If Andy proves me wrong, then I am more than delighted to be proved wrong.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #69 on: July 05, 2012, 08:43 PM »

Is "clutch" the new in word just now?
IP Logged
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Koala's are cute and cuddly

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #70 on: July 05, 2012, 11:48 PM »

Wow. Still on a high after this match. Have had the chance to read many reports on the match, as well as transcripts of Andy's  interviews on his performance. I feel he is in a good place both mentally and physically.  He is more than aware that the next 36 hours or so could potentially be career defining. Both he and his mentor (Ivan) know what the next steps need to be. According to the online Telegraph sports pages, Ivan is priming Andy for the next challenge.

If I am honest. I have never seen Andy the way he played in the last two sets of his match with Ferrer. He grew in stature, belief and was playing so free. For me in this moment he truly came of age. Play as you did on Wednesday and victory will be assured against Tsonga . Ivan I salute you. Andy thank you a truly magical  four hours. Now go and play the semi final match we all now believe you can play. Andy I salute you.  wub   cmon yeah
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #71 on: July 06, 2012, 12:29 AM »

Is "clutch" the new in word just now?

It's been around. Overused in fact.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #72 on: July 06, 2012, 01:18 AM »

EJ I love how about a week ago you were saying you'd love Andy to beat Federer in the final for his first Slam, yet now that there's actually a fairly realistic chance of this happening you suddenly realise how risky that could be. lol

I was the same mind. We dream for amazing dramatic wins and the perfect outcome but then we don't think of the hell we'd have to go through and the consequences if the outcome goes the other way.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #73 on: July 06, 2012, 01:22 AM »

EJ I love how about a week ago you were saying you'd love Andy to beat Federer in the final for his first Slam, yet now that there's actually a fairly realistic chance of this happening you suddenly realise how risky that could be. lol

I was the same mind. We dream for amazing dramatic wins and the perfect outcome but then we don't think of the hell we'd have to go through and the consequences if the outcome goes the other way.

Why don't you find me that bit. I am very sure I never said that. FIND IT! FIND IT NOW! lol but am serious.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Nervous Murray outfoxes The Terrier « Reply #74 on: July 06, 2012, 01:37 AM »

Good description of play but the roof did not lumber into action in last set! Players went off until shower ended and match completed with roof open. Cheers.

Thank goodness for confirmation about the roof.  I knew I was pretty stressed, but ... lol
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »