Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Part1: A look back at 2005 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Part1: A look back at 2005

(Read 749 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Part1: A look back at 2005 « on: December 03, 2005, 05:33 PM »

Source: MurraysWorld
Andy started the year optimistic that he could break through into the top 100. Whilst still eligible to play juniors it was decided that he was ready for the challenge of the professional game. He had already enjoyed considerable success at Futures level in 2004, winning four tournaments in Spain and Italy so there were high hopes both in the UK and at Sanchez-Casal, his training base in Barcelona, that he was good enough to make a rapid rise.

Ranked just outside the top 400 there was no chance of joining the elite in Australia for the first grand slam event of the season. Instead his coach Pato Alvarez took him to Chile to compete in the qualifying rounds for the Challenger events in La Serena and Santiago played on Clay.

The initial plan was to use these tournaments as a warm up for attempting to qualify for the ATP event at Vina del Mar at the beginning of February but Andy didn't make it through to the main draw in either of the two events, losing to Marin in the final qualifying round of La Serena and then Parada in the opening qualifying round at Santiago; hardly the start they had expected and Vina del Mar disappeared off the agenda.

- Full Story (murraysworld.com)
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

Part1: A look back at 2005 « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 05:35 PM »

shocking I never knew he had a dissapointing first half of the year....  shocking
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Part1: A look back at 2005 « Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 05:38 PM »

Queens was the first tournament in which he really shined.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Part1: A look back at 2005 « Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 10:03 PM »

I only followed him after Queens so I wasnt aware of that either Annie
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Part1: A look back at 2005 « Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 11:55 AM »

Quote from: "Banannie"
shocking I never knew he had a dissapointing first half of the year....  shocking

search It's true. Very unfortuante for Andy - the beginning of 2005. That's why it's so amazing with what he has achieved in barely 12 months notworthy
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

Part1: A look back at 2005 « Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 10:36 PM »

a couple of players i know would have given up if they had their start of the year like andys. the like the 'start as we mean to go on' thing.
Andy shows pure dedication and is a great ambassador for the sport. He should be so proud of himself of what hes done the last few months. He's also given me, as a junior, and i know others who i play with think this too, has given us a lot of confidence as Andy has proved that being good in the juniors you can rise quickly in the seniors aswell.
Very impressive.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »