Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion

(Read 4096 times)
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « on: April 27, 2012, 06:20 PM »

Andy Murray is out of the Barcelona Open after being beaten by Milos Raonic 6-4, 7-6 (7/3).

A match up that was viewed as overdue by many, this was a match being anticipated with some interest. It was also a cause for some concern with many Murray fans and rightly so. The young Canadian seems to fall into the 'still waters run deep' category with no sign of nerves as he faced the world no.4.

Raonic came out guns blazing with his huge serve and powerful returns, and gave Murray no chance to get a real grip on his serves. Andy on the other hand seemed to be constantly on the back foot as he stood back and played his usual game of long rallies. Unfortunately the long rallies led to more winners for the Canadian rather than errors and gave Raonic control of the match from early on.

The first set comprised of Murray being tested on serve while Raonic held with ease, until at 3-3, a wayward drop shot from Murray offered Raonic a 2nd break point with he took full advantage of and went up the break 4-3.

Murray fought to hold onto his next service game, forcing Raonic to serve out the set, which he did with an excellent forehand winner after setting up 3 set points with his 9th ace of the match.

Read more (393 words)
Murray seemed lightly more animated and determined at the beginning of the 2nd set, and this began to show slightly in the score on Raonic's serve, with him taking the young Canadian to deuce in the 4th game of the set, and attacking the serve again in the 6th game. This made no real difference however, as Raonic's massive serve got him out of any potential trouble.

Murray's own service game came under pressure in the 7th game of the set, which offered Raonic 2 chances to break. For once in the match Raonic failed to make the most of the opportunities and many Murray fans held their breath, hoping that this would throw the Canadian and give Murray a chance to get into the match.

This hope did not last long as in Murray's next service game Raonic broke and came out to serve for the match. Andy then showed his battling spirit and played some of his best points of the match and managed to break the Raonic serve to level the game once more.

Both then held serve and the 2nd set went to a tie-break. In merely comparing the two mens serve the match seemed a foregone conclusion, and so it turned out to be. Raonic showed no signs of nerves or of much really, his composure never faltered. He quickly gained a 5-1 lead in the tie-break and while Andy held onto his 2 points on serve, Raonic served out the match and proceeds to the semi-finals.

The match was not a display of Murray at his finest, although neither was it him at his worst. He was hitting the ball well at points, and the main faults to be picked up upon were the usual- he was too passive and his serving percentage couldn't compare with his opponent. While it can be argued that Raonic is quickly becoming one of the big servers of the game; and that Murray's style of tennis would never give him the same percentages, this match highlighted the degree to which match winning opportunities are gained on second serves.

Yet again Murray ends a tournament on clay with a lot of questions to be answered about what he can do to make himself successful on this surface. So while Milos Raonic
progresses to the Semi's, Andy must return to the practice courts.
[ Last edit by Mark April 27, 2012, 10:02 PM ] IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:29 PM »

`Raonic Rampant`good stuff Hazy.
Not convinced Andy was much of a Scottish Lion Today.
More a Scottish Fold Pussy Cat unfortunately.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 06:32 PM »

`Raonic Rampant`good stuff Hazy.
Not convinced Andy was much of a Scottish Lion Today.
More a Scottish Fold Pussy Cat unfortunately.

Yeah but that wouldn't have sounded as good lol

As I have just said elsewhere, apologies for the delay in a report being posted. Unfortunately the real world called and prevented the on duty reporter from posting.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 07:12 PM »

Yes, Andy must return to the practice court. At this point time I am rather concerned at what effect Lendl is having on Murray. He was doing better on his own.  Rather alarming with the year ahead. last year he got to the French Open to the semis I do not think this year unless there is a mark improvement.
Slightly disappointed  so far no improvement a little in temperament.

I am a great supporter of murray just want him to do well.

at present I am
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 07:19 PM »

Well done Hazel. Good report . Really gutted for Andy - the youngsters are taking over!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 08:09 PM »

Very good report Hazel.  Clear, concise and not cluttered up with technicalities. Smile

Yes, Andy must return to the practice court. At this point time I am rather concerned at what effect Lendl is having on Murray. He was doing better on his own. 
I agree.  Andy seems to have taken a few steps back at times since linking up with Lendl, but maybe he has to go back in order to go forward.  Anyway I understand Lendl is about to return to the US and won't meet up with Andy again until before the FO, so Madrid and Rome could be interesting.

I must admit I nearly voted as "undecided" in the poll but finally gave Andy the benefit of the doubt, although I expected a very close match, possibly a 3 setter.  In the event Andy didn't justify my belief, but I was impressed with Raonic.  Haven't seen him play for a while but, whilst his serve has always been his best weapon, his ground-strokes and tactics have greatly improved.  Obviously his Spanish coach is getting results.

The main thing I did notice with Andy was that, apart from a brief muttering and scowling at the end of the 1st set, he showed no sign of emotion.  Is he trying too hard to suppress his feelings to the detriment of his game?  Maybe he needs to release them occasionally to relieve the pressure he's feeling.  I'm not advocating a return to what we saw in MC against Berdych, but maybe there's a balance which needs to be addressed

Well done Hazel. Good report . Really gutted for Andy - the youngsters are taking over!
Jan - don't you remember when a younger Andy was either taking out the top players or given them a hard time?  It's only to be expected that great young potential will start doing this as they whiz up the ladder, just a shame that Andy had to be one of Raonic's first top 10 victims (Raonic beat Tipsarevic, then No.9, in Chennai).  Also Raonic pushed Federer in 3 sets in IW.
[ Last edit by Aileen April 28, 2012, 12:33 AM ] IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 11:43 PM »

People should make up their minds whether appointment of Lendl is the right decision at the end of 2012. A lot can happen between now and WTF..

Are people suddenly expecting miracles to happen on clay? HC and grass remains Andy's best chance at slams and will remain so until he hangs up his racquet. Losing to Raonic is a setback, but not disastrious.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 12:05 AM »

I must admit I am sure Milos is a really nice kid and don't doubt his ability but his game is absolutely awful to watch.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 12:57 AM »

People should make up their minds whether appointment of Lendl is the right decision at the end of 2012. A lot can happen between now and WTF..

Are people suddenly expecting miracles to happen on clay? HC and grass remains Andy's best chance at slams and will remain so until he hangs up his racquet. Losing to Raonic is a setback, but not disastrious.
I've never expected miracles to happen with Lendl as Andy's coach, which is why I said earlier that maybe he has to go backwards in order to go forwards - and by that I mean that introducing improvements into his game is going to involve experimentation during matches, so they may not work initially and will produce errors, but once perfected then we'll see the fruits of them.  And that's also why I made the comment about Andy perhaps trying too hard to suppress his feelings on court to the detriment of his game.  It obviously isn't something that comes naturally to him and these habits aren't going to vanish overnight - something I've been saying repeatedly on this forum.  Whilst nobody wants to see a return of the screaming, ranting and self-flagellation, I think Andy is one of these players who just have to let off steam a little occasionally in order to release their frustrations.  If he wants to mutter to himself to get himself going, then so be it.

I must admit I am sure Milos is a really nice kid and don't doubt his ability but his game is absolutely awful to watch.
I agree.  I have only two words to describe Milos's game - VERY UGLY.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 05:38 AM »

Well done Hazy.

I don't worry about Andy, I agree that he is busy trying new things & that there were some good shots today. This is on clay, he is getting in some time on it, all to the good. Getting control of himself is a huge plus; the opposite is only negative against himself. Of course, he can mutter some if he wants to, or worse, then toss it aside. (Sticks & stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me).
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 08:01 AM »

I am delighted to find this website as I am so fed up with the vitriolic rubbish about Andy on the other sites.

I entirely agree with the fact that people are expecting miracles overnight from Lendl.  I come from a tennis family and my father who was an umpire and played tennis fopr the army used to say that it takes up to 6 months for a new coach's influence to show.  I have noticed some improvement but do think that Andy grew up at the end of last season.  This year he has definitely done better than last.  I am not surprised thst he went out to Raonic but wonder what would have happened it fit had gone to a third set as Andy seemed to be getting the measure of Raonic.

I look forward to coming on this site more often.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 08:40 AM »

One swallow doesn't mean summer has come, and one loss to Milos certainly doesn't mean he'll beat Andy again. I felt that Andy was beginning to read Milos' game and was able to return his serve.I think if this had been a 5 setter the result could have been different. Well written report HB and very fair. I tend to agree that Andy does need to let out his feelings on the court, he cannot be dead pan.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 09:37 AM »

I am delighted to find this website as I am so fed up with the vitriolic rubbish about Andy on the other sites.

I entirely agree with the fact that people are expecting miracles overnight from Lendl.  I come from a tennis family and my father who was an umpire and played tennis fopr the army used to say that it takes up to 6 months for a new coach's influence to show.  I have noticed some improvement but do think that Andy grew up at the end of last season.  This year he has definitely done better than last.  I am not surprised thst he went out to Raonic but wonder what would have happened it fit had gone to a third set as Andy seemed to be getting the measure of Raonic.

I look forward to coming on this site more often.

Welcome to the forum Tamila. Smile I agree that the Andy/Lendl partnership needs to be given time. Wimbledon always seems to really suit Andy's serve so he could be playing very well by then. I also think that Andy was beginning to read Raonic's serve better, and agree with you Michelle that in a best of 5 the result could well have been different.
IP Logged
reef
Junior

coral reef

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 09:40 AM »

Yes, Andy must return to the practice court. At this point time I am rather concerned at what effect Lendl is having on Murray. He was doing better on his own.  Rather alarming with the year ahead. last year he got to the French Open to the semis I do not think this year unless there is a mark improvement.
Slightly disappointed  so far no improvement a little in temperament.

I am a great supporter of murray just want him to do well.

at present I am

My sentiments exactly.  Whilst I appreciate we should give this Andy-Lendl partnership time, I always have the feeling that Andy - given the character that he is - is better working things out on his own.  Just look at his record with past coaches - I won't be surprised if this relationship doesn't last the course either.

IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 10:46 AM »

Good posting!
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »