Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion

(Read 4056 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 01:08 PM »

I am delighted to find this website as I am so fed up with the vitriolic rubbish about Andy on the other sites.

I entirely agree with the fact that people are expecting miracles overnight from Lendl.  I come from a tennis family and my father who was an umpire and played tennis fopr the army used to say that it takes up to 6 months for a new coach's influence to show.  I have noticed some improvement but do think that Andy grew up at the end of last season.  This year he has definitely done better than last.  I am not surprised thst he went out to Raonic but wonder what would have happened it fit had gone to a third set as Andy seemed to be getting the measure of Raonic.

I look forward to coming on this site more often.
Hi tamila wave  Welcome to MW!

I wish people would listen to what Andy said about his partnership with Lendl, and that was that they were looking at things in the long term, i.e. gradually trying new things and focussing on the more minor tournaments rather than just the Slams.  Also he needs to believe that he can beat the top 3 in GSs, and in order to do that he has first to beat them regularly in other tournaments.  The one major improvement so far is the obvious change in Andy's mental attitude, and that really is the key to improving his game and his chances of winning a Slam.

I'm convinced Andy would have beaten Raonic had the match gone to a third set and he knew it.  The expression on his face when he came off the court said it all.  Just a pity perhaps that their match in Miami never took place because on a faster hard court the outcome might well have been different, and that would have impacted on this match.
[ Last edit by Aileen April 28, 2012, 01:23 PM ] IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 02:39 PM »

Hi tamila wave  Welcome to MW!

I wish people would listen to what Andy said about his partnership with Lendl, and that was that they were looking at things in the long term, i.e. gradually trying new things and focussing on the more minor tournaments rather than just the Slams.  Also he needs to believe that he can beat the top 3 in GSs, and in order to do that he has first to beat them regularly in other tournaments.  The one major improvement so far is the obvious change in Andy's mental attitude, and that really is the key to improving his game and his chances of winning a Slam.

I'm convinced Andy would have beaten Raonic had the match gone to a third set and he knew it.  The expression on his face when he came off the court said it all.  Just a pity perhaps that their match in Miami never took place because on a faster hard court the outcome might well have been different, and that would have impacted on this match.
Hi Aileen we are singing from the same song sheet. Ferrer has played against on 3 previous times and you can see how he can now read Milos' serve and game and counteract it, which I felt Andy was doing in the second set.
Looking forward to the next tournament.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 03:34 PM »

Thank you for the welcome Katie.  I see that Ferrer has just beaten Raonic with difficulty but, of course, he has played him before.  I do agree that Andy was beginning to read Raonic's game which should stand him in good stead another time.  I do feel that this is probably the outcome the organsiers wanted.  Two Spanish players in the final but I could be wrong.  Andy is doing much better this year than this time last year. Also thanks to Michelle and Aileen for their welcome.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 03:40 PM »

Thank you for the welcome Katie.  I see that Ferrer has just beaten Raonic with difficulty but, of course, he has played him before.  I do agree that Andy was beginning to read Raonic's game which should stand him in good stead another time.  I do feel that this is probably the outcome the organsiers wanted.  Two Spanish players in the final but I could be wrong.  Andy is doing much better this year than this time last year. Also thanks to Michelle and Aileen for their welcome.
Welcome Tamila.  Hope you enjoy the forum, good posts from you already.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 08:41 PM »

Welcome aboard Tamila!
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 09:26 PM »

I am delighted to find this website as I am so fed up with the vitriolic rubbish about Andy on the other sites.

I entirely agree with the fact that people are expecting miracles overnight from Lendl.  I come from a tennis family and my father who was an umpire and played tennis fopr the army used to say that it takes up to 6 months for a new coach's influence to show.  I have noticed some improvement but do think that Andy grew up at the end of last season.  This year he has definitely done better than last.  I am not surprised thst he went out to Raonic but wonder what would have happened it fit had gone to a third set as Andy seemed to be getting the measure of Raonic.

I look forward to coming on this site more often.
Welcome tamila .stick aound and have some fun.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 10:33 PM »

Hi Tamila.. glad to have you onboard. wave
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 10:51 PM »

Welcome, Tamila. Enjoy yourself.

Your father is obviously a shrewd observer of coaches.

His point of the time for a coach's influence to be established is interesting. However, this time scale refers to experienced coaches. Just bear in mind that this is Lendl's first assignment. Therefore, it may take Ivan longer to change Andy's overall performance
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 01:51 AM »

Welcome, Tamila. Enjoy yourself.

Your father is obviously a shrewd observer of coaches.

His point of the time for a coach's influence to be established is interesting. However, this time scale refers to experienced coaches. Just bear in mind that this is Lendl's first assignment. Therefore, it may take Ivan longer to change Andy's overall performance
I understand Ivan spent time with Darren Cahill discussing the best way to coach Andy, Cahill of course having been Andy's temporary coach last year, so I don't think his first assignment is going to be very problematic.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 09:50 AM »

Very interesting, analytical article. Some of the comments were also worth reading. The main question is "Does Andy have faith (in his ability) at his core?"

http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2012/04/the-right-wing.html

Another really good write up Haze clap
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 02:07 PM »

Wasn't able to watch the match.  But struck by what Fleming said yesterday that when Raonic is serving bombs he is unplayable.  It sounded like that is what he was doing on friday but less so against Ferrer yesterday and, as someone pointed out, Ferrer had already played him 3 times before so had his measure better.  While this was very disappointing it is at least encouraging that it sounds like Andy was getting to grips with the bomber better in the 2nd set.  But I have to say it depresses me if Raonic spells the future of tennis, as comms suggesting, as I'd hate us to revert to a Sampras type dominance and of course Sampras was Raonic's idol when growing up, which says it all as far as I'm concerned.
Re Andy and Lendl: we really can't be judging at what is still an early stage in their relationships.  It seems to me that Andy is in a period of transition, which can be very difficult.  However disappointing when he reverts to old ways, I guess it's only to be expected.  I'm glad that most posters on MW are cutting him some slack in the wake of this defeat.
And thanks for the match report Hazel - another good one for someone who wasn't able to watch the match.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 12:13 AM »

Very interesting, analytical article. Some of the comments were also worth reading. The main question is "Does Andy have faith (in his ability) at his core?"

At least the article got one point across that I've always been saying - that playing practice matches is a different thing from playing in a tournament.  The writer points to Andy's forehand, but I've watched a couple of brief videos of him practising his serve and, were he able to reproduce the results on a regular basis in matches, he would make life a lot easier for himself by winning more points on his first serve.

So, as with his forehand, what happens when it comes to the real thing?  Nervousness?  Lack of belief?  Fear of failure - something which could make him cautious?  And this is certainly where the younger and lower-ranked players can take advantage of him because they have nothing to lose and so go flat out for everything.  The sad thing is that Andy used to be like that too in the early part of his career, although it was obvious that he had great talent and that his wins weren't just one-off wonders.

I really do hope that Lendl can help him overcome whatever the psychological block is because otherwise I fear that that great talent will be wasted - and that would be very sad indeed.

IP Logged
Malteserman

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 12:27 AM »

Another really good write up Haze clap
Hi Everyone, been a member for a while, but generally a reader rather than poster, thanks all for your comments, and to the news team.

Agree this is a good article.  I think Murray does believe in himself however I also think that he is in general more worried about not losing than he is desperate to win. Hence his drops in performance after winning a first set.  It's not a point I've seen talked about too much on MW.  I may have missed it though, or is it just me that thinks this?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 01:00 AM »

Hi Everyone, been a member for a while, but generally a reader rather than poster, thanks all for your comments, and to the news team.

Agree this is a good article.  I think Murray does believe in himself however I also think that he is in general more worried about not losing than he is desperate to win. Hence his drops in performance after winning a first set.  It's not a point I've seen talked about too much on MW.  I may have missed it though, or is it just me that thinks this?

Hi Malteserman! wave  Welcome to MW.

Well, unless I've misunderstood you, what you say seems to back up my theory that Murray's inconsistent and passive/cautious performances could be due to a fear of failure - something which may have started after his 2010 AO defeat and caused the terrible slump which followed.  Certainly a lot of the fire and aggression he showed in the early part of career seems to have gone, and I believe that can be traced back to that defeat, aggravated by his similar loss the following year.

A lot has been said on this forum about Murray's mental state - does he need a sports psychologist, etc - but I think you could be right in saying that this particular aspect has never really been considered.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 08:12 AM »

So, as with his forehand, what happens when it comes to the real thing?  Nervousness?  Lack of belief?  Fear of failure - something which could make him cautious?

Think I would add 'Fear of injury' to this list - which, I think, will always [to a greater or lesser degree] affect his movement on clay - as well as his forehand.
[ Last edit by matchpoint April 30, 2012, 08:16 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »