Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion

(Read 4486 times)
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #45 on: May 01, 2012, 04:31 PM »

Well said Caz.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #46 on: May 01, 2012, 04:41 PM »

Thanks Iris.....I'ts nice to know I'm not alone after all!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #47 on: May 01, 2012, 04:43 PM »

Thank you too JDonald!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #48 on: May 01, 2012, 04:43 PM »

Ooooh.. Caz... all fired up.  clap
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #49 on: May 01, 2012, 07:37 PM »

I'ts nice to know I'm not alone after all!
I love you Caz ... hug
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #50 on: May 01, 2012, 08:12 PM »

Great posting Caz, totally agree.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #51 on: May 01, 2012, 08:38 PM »

Let us all keep fingers cross and see what happens in the next few weeks. Could be miracles. I am hoping so!!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #52 on: May 02, 2012, 06:41 AM »

I love you Caz ... hug
  lmao I love you too Aileen!  hug
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #53 on: May 02, 2012, 09:25 AM »

Caz @7.14.  Have been thinking some more about your posting in light of latest interview from Andy I've read - I forget which one now as there have been so many recently.  In it he said that the Andy of today would beat the Andy of a few years ago and that the game has developed so much in past few years.  Do people think it's possible that the beautiful game that Caz describes just isn't enough now to win especially against the likes of Raonic but also against the other very top players?   Like Caz I claim no tennis expertise.  If I'm right the challenge for Andy is to develop his game in the way necessary to win in today's game but to combine that with the wonderful touch and finesse that marked his earlier game (and of course is still there sometimes).  Views welcome!
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #54 on: May 02, 2012, 09:42 AM »

It's a shame that today's game is the way it is. Last night I watched a tennis classic IW 2007, Andy v Tommy Hass, Andy won in 4 sets last one a tiebreaker, 10-8 or was a 10-9   doh  Anyway you should have seen him, fire in his belly making lots of volleys, hitting straight down the line, that's why I fell in love with Andy and he became my favourite tennis player. Pure excitement, gave you goosebumps, just magic. I really miss the Andy of old.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #55 on: May 02, 2012, 10:43 AM »

Caz @7.14.  Have been thinking some more about your posting in light of latest interview from Andy I've read - I forget which one now as there have been so many recently.  In it he said that the Andy of today would beat the Andy of a few years ago and that the game has developed so much in past few years.  Do people think it's possible that the beautiful game that Caz describes just isn't enough now to win especially against the likes of Raonic but also against the other very top players?   Like Caz I claim no tennis expertise.  If I'm right the challenge for Andy is to develop his game in the way necessary to win in today's game but to combine that with the wonderful touch and finesse that marked his earlier game (and of course is still there sometimes).  Views welcome!

Yes I'd definitely say that for Andy the key is to get the mix right between touch/finesse and power. He won't win slams by pushing his forehand and waiting for unforced errors from his opponent, but nor can he hope to be able to outhit players like Rafa and Novak from the baseline in terms of pure power and accuracy. He's definitely making good progress though I think. He's hitting his groundstrokes with more power generally and uses the variety he has in his game to good effect. Luckily Andy is very natural at the net and could win many more points there, hopefully he will start coming to the net a bit more often in his matches to shorten some of the points.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #56 on: May 02, 2012, 11:20 AM »

Yes I'd definitely say that for Andy the key is to get the mix right between touch/finesse and power. He won't win slams by pushing his forehand and waiting for unforced errors from his opponent, but nor can he hope to be able to outhit players like Rafa and Novak from the baseline in terms of pure power and accuracy. He's definitely making good progress though I think. He's hitting his groundstrokes with more power generally and uses the variety he has in his game to good effect. Luckily Andy is very natural at the net and could win many more points there, hopefully he will start coming to the net a bit more often in his matches to shorten some of the points.
Yes I'd like him to come to the net more Katie, which is one reason I think it's a good idea for him to play dubs sometimes.  Johnnie Mac has likened his hands to his, which is the highest compliment in my book.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #57 on: May 02, 2012, 07:24 PM »

i am sorry, none of you have any idea what it takes to come to  the net all the time. You have to set the point up to do that and we do not know the pace of the ball coming to Andy to what he can do with it,

You only know this if you play the game, and that is at our level, think of this at his level.  It is not easy. The first serve is very important and that is why raonic beat Andy. Serve is the key in Singles. If all is going to song then he will play well.

In singles you ahve to have a good serve at all times and that does set up the next point.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #58 on: May 02, 2012, 10:00 PM »

i am sorry, none of you have any idea what it takes to come to  the net all the time. You have to set the point up to do that and we do not know the pace of the ball coming to Andy to what he can do with it,

You only know this if you play the game, and that is at our level, think of this at his level.  It is not easy. The first serve is very important and that is why raonic beat Andy. Serve is the key in Singles. If all is going to song then he will play well.

In singles you ahve to have a good serve at all times and that does set up the next point.

It definitely wouldn't be a good idea for Andy to come into the net all the time - you're right it would be extremely difficult to do that. Serve and volley would be very risky. But there's definitely room for Andy to come into the net more often, and it doesn't always have to be high-risk tennis either but is a good way of shortening rallies when the time is right.

I agree that the serve is key to Andy's success, though in the Raonic match he did serve well - it was the first serve return which wasn't working that well.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Raonic Rampant against Scottish Lion « Reply #59 on: May 03, 2012, 07:03 AM »

OK guys.......Nobody is suggesting that Andy should come into the net 'all the time'.....just more often.......like he used to do and also like his opponents often do.......usually winning the point in the process! Too often these days, it seems like he's quite content to slog it out from the baseline and wait for the other guy to 'gift' him the point, instead of going in and taking it! He seems to be able to do this when he's getting desperate though.......as in the second set against Raonic! If he had done that from the start, I doubt he'd have lost the match!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »