Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Ring-rusty Murray exposed by Cilic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Ring-rusty Murray exposed by Cilic

(Read 1747 times)
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Ring-rusty Murray exposed by Cilic « Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 09:30 AM »

I was out eating dinner with friends and didnt get to see the match at all.
I realised my worst fears after yesterday when I checked the live score and he was 4 - 3 down in the 2nd set.

Did Cilic play that well?
 He was showing impressive form earlier in the week so I think he may win this trophy, or be a finalist.

All Andy can do is to keep plugging away and claw his way up again.  cmon yeah

I couldn't watch,  it's a shame Andy lost, but it's going to take time , second half of the year is going to be good for Andy Smile 
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Ring-rusty Murray exposed by Cilic « Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 03:11 PM »

Judging from the length of his surgery and having to spend quite some time on his back afterwards, I would say he had a laminectomy, which is quite a serious op, he has said that he had some bone shaved off. He has done remarkably well to be where he is at the moment.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Ring-rusty Murray exposed by Cilic « Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 03:44 PM »

Don't they say for every month out, it takes 2 to get back to your best. This time of rehab is crucial and cannot be rushed.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Ring-rusty Murray exposed by Cilic « Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 04:35 PM »

Judging from the length of his surgery and having to spend quite some time on his back afterwards, I would say he had a laminectomy, which is quite a serious op, he has said that he had some bone shaved off. He has done remarkably well to be where he is at the moment.

I thought that this might be the case as I said earlier.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Ring-rusty Murray exposed by Cilic « Reply #34 on: February 15, 2014, 04:39 PM »

Hmm a match report based on the match thread - omg.  Like Aileen I don't think that's a very good idea and does explain why there was no acknowledgement that Andy did show glimpses of what he is capable of and no real sense of how Cilic is looking pretty good right now.  I do wonder if old Cilic without his new improved serve and the confidence that has given him would have done quite so well even against a ring-rusty Andy.  There were a couple of moments when it looked like Andy might have been able to turn it round but unlike in previous matches against Cilic it was not to be.  I agree with those who are suggesting Andy didn't push himself too hard given this was his first time he'd played  3 matches in a row. What was encouraging was that he said his body had held up pretty well. 
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Ring-rusty Murray exposed by Cilic « Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 05:22 PM »

Sadly, I wasn't altogether too surprised by the result, after all Andy wasn't the AM of old against Thiem. However, the positive aspect is that even towards the end of the match, Andy was starting to get under Cilic's skin. This was quite apparent as Cilic was beginning to sweat as he always does when starting to lose against AM.  

I do believe that within a few weeks corresponding with the early US swing, Andy will be back to playing as he did winning the Olympic Gold, USO 2012 and Wimbledon 2013 champion
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Ring-rusty Murray exposed by Cilic « Reply #36 on: February 15, 2014, 06:25 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I felt myself from what was said that it was more than just a 'minor' procedure and not the microdiscectomy everyone assumed it was, although from what I've read online, a laminectomy is often part of a discectomy.   Also he said the wound took two weeks to heal properly, which doesn't sound like a minimally invasive procedure.

Don't they say for every month out, it takes 2 to get back to your best. This time of rehab is crucial and cannot be rushed.
Presumably a certain Spaniard didn't read the script. Whistle

Seriously though I agree that Andy would be foolish to try and rush things, but I do wish that those, and I include the media in this, who got so negative about his performance in Rotterdam would remember that the same 'ring-rusty' Andy got to the QF of the AO, losing to a revitalised Federer in four sets, then led GB to victory in the Davis Cup.  Certainly he had a day's rest between matches which were all played in a hot or very warm climate (which helped his back), and Federer was his first serious challenge since playing Tsonga in Abu Dhabi, but still, taking everything into consideration, he really did very much better than anyone expected, so I don't see his blip here as being discouraging, because his back and his body still need time to acclimatise to playing matches on consecutive days, and I don't doubt that his gruelling three sets against the tricky and unknown Thiem took its toll.

[ Last edit by Aileen February 15, 2014, 06:59 PM ] IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Ring-rusty Murray exposed by Cilic « Reply #37 on: February 15, 2014, 06:45 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I felt myself from what was said that it was more than just a 'minor' procedure and not the microdiscectomy everyone assumed it was, although from what I've read online, a laminectomy is often part of a discectomy.   Also he said the wound took two weeks to heal properly, which doesn't sound like a minimally invasive procedure.

I very much doubt that there is ever a "minor" procedure when it comes to back surgery. And a surgical wound of course is much more than a surface incision. We really should stop second guessing what the procedure was and just be glad the boy can still play at the highest level.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Ring-rusty Murray exposed by Cilic « Reply #38 on: February 15, 2014, 07:12 PM »

thinking back to October, I doubt many of us expected Andy would have achieved what he has done by mid February.  Indeed we weren't even sure he'd be able to play at the AO.  While inevitably there is anxiety when he's not playing near his best and the lurking fear that he has somehow 'lost' it, I've seen enough to make even this habitually eeyorish personality pretty confident that we'll see Andy back to his best and possibly achieving a new best.  Keep the faith everyone!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Ring-rusty Murray exposed by Cilic « Reply #39 on: February 15, 2014, 07:18 PM »

thinking back to October, I doubt many of us expected Andy would have achieved what he has done by mid February.  Indeed we weren't even sure he'd be able to play at the AO.  While inevitably there is anxiety when he's not playing near his best and the lurking fear that he has somehow 'lost' it, I've seen enough to make even this habitually eeyorish personality pretty confident that we'll see Andy back to his best and possibly achieving a new best.  Keep the faith everyone!

So very true ruthie. You dont just lose talent like that!  I have every faith he will most definitely be back bigger and better  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Ring-rusty Murray exposed by Cilic « Reply #40 on: February 15, 2014, 07:33 PM »

So very true ruthie. You dont just lose talent like that!  I have every faith he will most definitely be back bigger and better  cmon yeah
To quote the saying, attributed to Daley Thompson - "Form is temporary, class is permanent".
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Ring-rusty Murray exposed by Cilic « Reply #41 on: February 15, 2014, 07:57 PM »

To quote the saying, attributed to Daley Thompson - "Form is temporary, class is permanent".

yes
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Ring-rusty Murray exposed by Cilic « Reply #42 on: February 15, 2014, 08:02 PM »

Wholeheartedly agreeing with Aileen, Angie and Ruthie  , Fiverings and OldScot   yay
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: Ring-rusty Murray exposed by Cilic « Reply #43 on: February 15, 2014, 09:05 PM »

Murray-Cilic QF Rotterdam, a personal view.

When I bought tickets for the four quarter finals for the ABNAMRO WTT already a year ago I didn’t expect Murray to play in Rotterdam. Murray used to train in Miami in this period of the year. And with a first round lost in 2011 he didn’t leave this tournament with good feelings the last time. So when I heard last Friday that Murray got the last wild card I couldn’t believe my luck. I bought a shirt with GB flag (the wrong one, I know, but hadn’t so many time…!)  and was ready for watching Murray for the first time live.
Some things are different when you watch matches in real instead of the  tv. It’s possible to watch  one player to see how he’s moving and anticipating which is very nice and interesting. Also difficult, your eyes wants to follow the ball…. Two other things were different for me. The interaction between Murray and his team (including Kim of course) was more visible. He looked a lot to his team and they react (all together, same moment) with their faces and hands. Nice to see. Murray did groan (in the meaning of breathing with noise) a lot of times with difficult points.
Watching Muray in real looked so normal.  I did realize how match the way he playes, moves, stands, pauses, walkes after receiving to the other side is ritual, it looked to familiar to me.
And then the match at itself. Murray didn’t play offensive. When he tried so, he got immediately rewarded. Cilic, former number 9, did play very well. His serve was outstanding and Murray couldn’t return his second serve with power. The audience did encourage Murray a few times, and shouted to him: Comon Andy! The were also willing to support him but there were not so many chances to stand behind him with applause.
Supporting Murray when you don’t live in GB is not obvious.  For me there were a few reasons about three years ago. He’s a very complete player; serve, forehand, backhand, slice, topspin, passing shots, drop shots, everything.  He also is a man of extremes. He can play very well, but his level varies more than other players, so it seems. It’s intriguing. The way he finds a way out when he’s in trouble is fascinating and beautiful. Magic Murray. The extremes are not only in his tennis but also in his personality; often focused and muttering on court and besides the court friendly, polite, shy, humorous.
And yes, I hoped that I would also see the other Murray also yesterday. That he would find a way to get Cilic in control. The draw was good, so he could continue and practise more. On the other hand. He came to Rotterdam to play matches because he needed them , and he was right, he needs more time. I’m glad I was able to see this match. Next time I’ll try a Scottish shirt Smile!

(Pictures en little video in the next tread)
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Ring-rusty Murray exposed by Cilic « Reply #44 on: February 15, 2014, 09:10 PM »

^ Brilliant report, thanks fp.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »