Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Stan dismantles Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Stan dismantles Murray

(Read 3113 times)
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 05:48 PM »

Was totally weird, he played well for all of two games then megga collapse. Looked as if he wanted to go back to bed. Frown
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 05:49 PM »

Was totally weird, he played well for all of two games then megga collapse. Looked as if he wanted to go back to bed. Frown
Would hint at illness - or something not right. 
IP Logged
LIBANY
Satellite Level

Connecting to multiple grand slams Murray!

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 05:55 PM »

I  am sorry: I am so sad for him   ... What happens to day  with Andy's              racquet ?   
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 06:10 PM »

Not that it's of huge importance, but he also has 45 to defend in Barcelona where he got to the QF last year before going out to Raonic.
90 - Barcelona is a 500.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 06:28 PM »

Realistically, the situation with Andy is that despite all his protestations and practising on the stuff, clay court tennis is just not for him.

Sad that he lost so badly and that he's no longer number 2, but perhaps he has now attained his final level of competence, together with a subconscious realisation that he will never reach number 1.
[ Last edit by OldScotSupport April 18, 2013, 06:31 PM ] IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 06:29 PM »

Expected a tough match but not such a comprehensive doing !  Back to the drawing board Andy
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 06:30 PM »

Realistically, the situation with Andy is that despite all his protestations and practising on the stuff, clay court tennis is just not for him.

Sad that he lost so badly and that he's no longer number 2, but perhaps he has now attained his final level of competence.
I'm not sure that's true OSS - I hope it isn't.  Andy always seems to take three steps back before he takes that big step forward.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 06:37 PM »

Sad that he lost so badly and that he's no longer number 2, but perhaps he has now attained his final level of competence, together with a subconscious realisation that he will never reach number 1.
I agree clay court is always going to be his weakest surface, but if he's that bad on it how do you account for his relative success two years ago when he did rather well even though carrying an injury?

Today was a disappointment -more for the manner in which he lost than for the loss itself against someone at his best on clay and who has already played 12 clay matches this season.   The comms were saying at the end it seemed like he couldn't wait to get off the court. There was certainly no fire or fight there it felt like.  He said afterwards he wasn't feeling the ball - I guess it's difficult to play well, if that's the case.  I thought he analysed what went wrong pretty lucidly in his presser though not surprisingly either couldn't explain why or didn't want to.  Miles Maclagan was pretty philosophical about the defeat and said it might give Andy the kick up the butt he needs to get his clay game right before the big one. Andy said pretty much the same himself and that he needs to learn from it and work hard before Madrid.  Personally I think it would have been better to take a wc for Barca to try to increase his match play on clay - if he went out early, he could go back to training; but if he did well, it would rebuild his confidence on clay and give him more match play.  But I'm sure Mr L know what he is doing better than I do  Rolling Eyes

Oh and it's a relief to see that most of the posts are pretty philosophical and written in sorrow rather than anger!
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 06:51 PM »

Just to put the matter straight by the way, despite my post, reply 19 I will NEVER stop supporting Andy through his successes and disappointments.

It's just that as Andy has reached his life-long target of being a Grand Slam champion, we all want and expect more from him. The talent is there, it's to come out on the red dirt stuff eventually.
[ Last edit by OldScotSupport April 18, 2013, 06:58 PM ] IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 07:01 PM »

I was nervous for him before the match somehow the defeat hasn't come as a suprise but the manner of it has.  I agree Ruthie, a wc for Barcelona might be the answer but from what he said in his presser its not going to happen.......shame, it would have given him some match practice before the next masters.
[ Last edit by Iris April 18, 2013, 08:54 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 07:11 PM »

No unless they make a last minute decision Iris.  After all Andy did his presser immediately after the match, presumably before any post mortem with Lendl when I guess it's just possible they might decide on a plan B.  But if, as some people are suggesting, he's not feeling that well, then he wouldn't want another early exit so perhaps a mixture of rest and practice would be best.  That said, it does seem odd not to use this chance of some match practice in a city he knows.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 07:22 PM »

I don't know if anyone else noticed early in the match Andy was struggling for breath. I wonder if he has  an infection. He will never offer an excuse.
Anyway he will come back from that and get back to winning ways on the clay, he is not too bad on it having made several semi finals. As  he has always said it takes him time to gets used to the clay. Meeting a red hot Stan was not the opponent to help Andy play himself into the clay.
Andy has still the determination and the desire to win more GS's and Masters and he will succeed of that I'm certain. I also think that Lendl believes in him and he will encourage him and help him achieve what they both want for him.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 07:55 PM »

Never thought of that.  Thing is, Aileen - you just don't know what's going on behind the scenes.  Maybe nothing at all - maybe he did just play shite.  But it pays to keep an open mind.
I'm told Ross was present at the match and was looking well, so obviously not that.

[ Last edit by Aileen April 18, 2013, 07:59 PM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 07:57 PM »

I'm told Ross was present at the match and was looking well, so obviously not that.
That's good news.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 07:59 PM »

Would hint at illness - or something not right. 
A cold, upset stomach, or even just a sleepless night - and Andy has said that he does need his full quota of sleep.  Most of us can get away with not being 100% alert, but it won't do on a tennis court against players like Wawrinka.
[ Last edit by Aileen April 18, 2013, 08:03 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »