Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Stan dismantles Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Stan dismantles Murray

(Read 3420 times)
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #30 on: April 18, 2013, 08:17 PM »

A cold, upset stomach, or even just a sleepless night - and Andy has said that he does need his full quota of sleep.  Most of us can get away with not being 100% alert, but it won't do on a tennis court against players like Wawrinka.
I'm not about to dig holes in him - he didn't play well - he lost.  Done deal.  Here's to the next tournament! yes
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #31 on: April 18, 2013, 08:48 PM »

Oh feck! We had major power cut after first game and still off now. Came into work early since nothing else to do but this wasn't the news I wanted to hear. C'est la vie.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #32 on: April 18, 2013, 08:51 PM »

I did notice he was puffing quite a lot after the first two games and I thought at the time it was strange.  If he is ill he should not be around Ross who is undergoing cancer treatment and is susceptible to infection.  Hopefully your right Ruthie, Andy and Lendl discuss the possibility of playing Barcelona, the pressure would be off.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #33 on: April 18, 2013, 09:07 PM »

a subconscious realisation that he will never reach number 1.

I woldn't write him off yet - Becker, Edberg and Sampras all managed it without particularly outstanding clay court records.
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #34 on: April 18, 2013, 09:10 PM »

We should maybe take comfort from the fact that he lost to a player with a decent record on clay, and to paraphrase Andy, 'sometimes your opponent just plays better'
We should also remember a couple of other fancied players exited today - it happens.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #35 on: April 18, 2013, 09:11 PM »

A cold, upset stomach, or even just a sleepless night - and Andy has said that he does need his full quota of sleep.  Most of us can get away with not being 100% alert, but it won't do on a tennis court against players like Wawrinka.

Aileen I played with a done wrist. I put up more of a fight than Andy did then and I was in pain.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #36 on: April 18, 2013, 09:11 PM »

Just come across this article, doesn't look as though Andy will be going to Barcelona.

http://www.live-tennis.com/category/ATP-Tennis/Back-to-the-drawing-board-for-Andy-Murray-201304180004/
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #37 on: April 18, 2013, 09:20 PM »

I saw Stan's first service game with BP for Andy, then I had to leave. On returning I found the next match already under way. Still I was hopeful, yet the shock came a moment later. Yesterday he looked so solid, and today he got beaten comprehensively? Of course, Stan can be a danger to anyone ( was in the top 10 a few years ago). And my consolation is that other top 8 players have followed Andy's exit. Maybe, this first tournament demands its victims whereas some lower-ranked players rise to the occasion. The density in the men's game is enormous, which has been proved today. It is a pity that Federer will overtake Andy without playing. Nevertheless, full support for the next tournament, wherever it may be.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #38 on: April 18, 2013, 09:25 PM »

I think the ranking will go back and forth for a while now.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #39 on: April 18, 2013, 09:51 PM »

Just come across this article, doesn't look as though Andy will be going to Barcelona.

http://www.live-tennis.com/category/ATP-Tennis/Back-to-the-drawing-board-for-Andy-Murray-201304180004/

I suspect that's right but this is clearly based on his presser so if he and Lendl were to rethink the strategy it would be after that had happened.  But I guess they won't change their mind and now he's said he is staying in MC he won't want to appear to be panicking.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #40 on: April 18, 2013, 10:12 PM »

I'm not about to dig holes in him - he didn't play well - he lost.  Done deal.  Here's to the next tournament! yes
I agree Elly.  Having left MW for the past hour or so and cooled off, I realise that, as has so oftened happened in the past, many of us are way too busy looking for excuses for what was probably simply just a very poor game of tennis, something which can happen to the best of them - and that's what I intend to stick to unless something concrete is heard to the contrary either from Andy himself or from a reliable source.

No doubt I'll stand accused of being callous, but nothing could be further from the truth.  I care as much about Andy as anyone else on this forum, but having listened to three years of excuse-making when he plays badly, and made many of them myself, I've woken up to the fact that all they do is create an aura of negativity which is neither helpful to Andy nor something that I'm sure he himself would feel comfortable about, especially as he's often made it known that he wants to do his best for his fans and feels unhappy if he thinks he's let them down.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #41 on: April 18, 2013, 10:20 PM »

We should maybe take comfort from the fact that he lost to a player with a decent record on clay, and to paraphrase Andy, 'sometimes your opponent just plays better'
We should also remember a couple of other fancied players exited today - it happens.

clap
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 11:19 PM »

I'm told Ross was present at the match and was looking well, so obviously not that.

Thats really good news Aileen, I hope your sources are right. Surprised)

I didnt fancy Andy for this one even though I voted "Andy in 3" (I never vote against  him). Stan has beaten him twice before on clay and he is fully clay court conditioned.

Funny how Novak and Federer (I dont need to mention King of the Clay Nadal) dont get into the same dramatic trouble when shifting surfaces.

Not being fully used to the clay cannot be the only reason for his poor performance today and I dont believe in hypothesising why it went so wrong. There's only two guys that know the reason. 

I'm fairly resiged to him not doing well on clay now, as he has not shown consistency in the past and now he's been preparing himself so well. He'll just have to plug away at it I guess.

The biggest pity for me is his loss of No. 2 ranking so soon. That will dent his pride a bit!

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #43 on: April 18, 2013, 11:30 PM »

^ With any luck he'll get his No.2 back again very quickly, given that he has no points to defend in Madrid whereas Fed has a title to defend.  He's only slipped down to 10 below Fed and will lose only another 45 through not playing in Barcelona.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #44 on: April 18, 2013, 11:44 PM »

That would be a horrific scoreline even against Rafa or Novak. He did seem to play well the first 2 games. Not sure what happened after that. Fingers crossed it was just a bad day.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »