Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Stan dismantles Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Stan dismantles Murray

(Read 3856 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #45 on: April 18, 2013, 11:58 PM »

I don't get it, Andy says to play better on Clay, he needs match Practice on Clay... surely it makes sense for him to play Barcelona then, no?

Imo he should even play a few rounds at Houston / Casablanca each year, just to get into the groove of things.

I sometimes don't get his scheduling, he's so intent on becoming better on clay but doesn't seem to be taking the steps even he implys will improve his game on clay....
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #46 on: April 19, 2013, 06:26 AM »

Perhaps we should all stop and think.  Very few players do what Andy has done after winning their first grand slam.  Most of them had to wait nearly a year just to reach another GS final.  He has a 20-3 record this year and has only played 5 tournies.  I do think we arer expecting too much of him just because of last year's success.  For once I did not feel terribly upset about this loss as I felt to be playing Stan in his second match on clay was probably asking too much.  As far as playing more tournies I think we should leave it up to his team as they have brought him this far which no other combination had done.

Actually Djoko is not playing as well as usual.  This is probably also because we expect so much from him.  Personally I feel he should not be playing here with the ankle problem but is up to him and his team as they know exactly what is going on.  We can only go on what the media report!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #47 on: April 19, 2013, 06:45 AM »

@Prod
A bit of a conundrum though- you want to get enough practise on clay so you're "grooved"but there are so many injuries in the game you don't want to play so much that that happens confused
Andy had back problems last year, think he had wrist injury the year before, and on it goes.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #48 on: April 19, 2013, 07:55 AM »

We don't know if he will or will not play in Barcelona. He went straight to the media after losing to Stan and had not met up with Lendl to discuss the match. I still think he was not well and if that was the case then the last thing he should do is to go to Barcelona. I trust that Andy who is very intelligent and Lendl another smart guy to do what is best for Andy.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #49 on: April 19, 2013, 09:57 AM »

Interestingly Leif Shiras has just said he thinks it's the right decision to spend the next week with Lendl working on his clay game.  He thinks that's more important than match practice as there are clearly things he needs to sort out.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #50 on: April 19, 2013, 10:09 AM »

Interestingly Leif Shiras has just said he thinks it's the right decision to spend the next week with Lendl working on his clay game.  He thinks that's more important than match practice as there are clearly things he needs to sort out.

Did he say anything about Andy's health? You never know where these MW rumours are going to go....
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #51 on: April 19, 2013, 10:32 AM »

No there has been no mention of a health problem. 
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #52 on: April 19, 2013, 12:34 PM »

Stop giving Andy excuses.  He hasn't found the right balance in his game on the red stuff. It usually takes him 2/3 tournaments before he gets used to the red stuff.  This always happened.  I don't expect Andy to do anything special this clay season.  Same old
[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 April 19, 2013, 12:38 PM ] IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #53 on: April 19, 2013, 12:47 PM »

Did he say anything about Andy's health?

No. It's just the usual suspects on this forum spinning up excuses.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #54 on: April 19, 2013, 01:51 PM »

No. It's just the usual suspects on this forum spinning up excuses.

Agreed!! He looked fit as a fiddle at the presser, so he was sniffing big deal. I sniff sometimes doesnt mean im sick.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #55 on: April 19, 2013, 02:40 PM »

That would be a horrific scoreline even against Rafa or Novak. He did seem to play well the first 2 games. Not sure what happened after that. Fingers crossed it was just a bad day.
What happened was the exact mirror of the R2 match he played against Kohlschreiber here in 2010 - same scoreline, same bizarre meltdown after two games, and same reaction from the spectators.  The only difference is that then Andy was going through his awful post-AO slump, whereas this time he's fresh off after winning Miami.

Agreed!! He looked fit as a fiddle at the presser, so he was sniffing big deal. I sniff sometimes doesnt mean im sick.
Well I'm sitting here sniffling and have sneezed twice, but I'm certainly not unwell!

Andy looked physically OK to me too.  All the tugging at his clothing, rubbing his face and sniffing had probably more to do with the fact that he was still sweating and a bit breathless from the match because he had gone straight to the presser room, probably to get the misery over with as quickly as possible, than an illness.  I still say it was a bad day, although it did come as a bit of a surpise after Wednesday's performance - but then Andy isn't noted for his consistency.  At least he went down to a player inside the top 20 who is an established clay-courter, and not a much lower-ranked qualifier with little or no pedigree on the surface.

From Andy himself -

“I made a lot of mistakes, from both sides ... I just looked at the stats on the way up the stairs. Twenty-four unforced errors is far too many. That’s a set’s worth. That’s where half the points went.

“He served well. He won some points from there. When I started making a lot of errors, I started hitting the ball shorter. Then he was able to dictate all of the points from there. When you do that on clay, when you make a lot of unforced errors, your response is to take your foot off the gas on the shots. If you don’t give any power or spin on the ball, it’s easy to let your opponent dictate the point.”

Also from the same source - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/dreadful-andy-murray-beaten-and-booed-at-the-monte-carlo-masters-8578632.html

Being more aggressive has paid rich dividends for Murray in the last year, but on clay the balance between attack and defence can be harder to find. In going for his shots Murray kept making mistakes and when he became more cautious he allowed Wawrinka to dominate.

[ Last edit by Aileen April 19, 2013, 02:43 PM ] IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #56 on: April 19, 2013, 03:19 PM »

Maybe it was just the media getting up his nose again Aileen Wink
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #57 on: April 19, 2013, 03:43 PM »

Maybe it was just the media getting up his nose again Aileen Wink
lol
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #58 on: April 19, 2013, 05:51 PM »

I have pollen allergies and the season is coming up. Bad times ahead – at least for a month and half.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #59 on: April 19, 2013, 06:01 PM »

I have pollen allergies and the season is coming up. Bad times ahead – at least for a month and half.
Poor you.  I've a friend who's allergic to grass pollen, made worse if the grass has just been cut.  He's tried all the usual stuff but finds it makes him too drowsy, so he's in a no-win situation.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »