Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Stan dismantles Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Reply
Author

Stan dismantles Murray

(Read 3414 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #75 on: April 23, 2013, 12:36 AM »

Madrid will make this loss disappear.
He'll also lose 45 points through not playing Barcelona, so he's going to need to get to the QF in Madrid.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #76 on: April 23, 2013, 11:13 AM »

I never buy a paper or listen to the news after Andy loses.  

I don't buy papers anyway to be honest, so I've stopped bothering about what they say. I've also vowed to stop getting into arguments with Andy bashers on the net, they're all idiots who know nothing about Andy or his sport, or Federer fans, which amounts to the same thing.

I think you have we have to look a bit further than the press though in terms of carping. Since last year we've heard people within the game playing down Andy's Olympic success because 'Federer was tired'. I don't know how they account for how well Andy played Djokovic, or that he dropped one set in the singles in nine days and his serve went unbroken from the quarter finals onwards. We've also heard one or two people within the game suggesting that Andy fluked the USO win. Is it even possible to fluke a major, or is it only possible when it isn't Federer, Nadal or Djokovic winning them? I know what I think.

Andy playing a bad match, and it was, I think we all agree on that, would have been manna from heaven for people waiting for him to fail so they can say 'I told you so', but the fact is that they all have days when it doesn't work out, to one degree or another. For some players it might mean being pushed by an opponent they would usually wallop (Federer's played a fair few of those lately, and Djokovic has had one or two) but sometimes it might mean losing to someone you 'shouldn't' really lose to. However, Andy being beaten in only his second match of the year on clay by a very good clay courter who has already won on the surface this year wasn't an enormous surprise really. The surprise was the manner of it. I still think the match was very much like Andy's first match at Queen's last year against Mahut, where he just seemed to come out flat and not up for it at all. That's why I think it was just a very bad day and will mean nothing in the wider scheme of things.

I'm not even going to worry too much about the rankings just yet. What will be will be. I wouldn't be surprised to see Andy back at 2 before the French, and if he is it should help him, but I'm just going to watch it all play out and see what happens. Either way, Barcelona will be weird. No Andy, no Federer, and apparently, according to the comms at the weekend, no Djokovic. Nadal will think all his birthdays have come at once, and Uncle Toni will look a lot less like he's sat on a nail than he did on Sunday.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #77 on: April 23, 2013, 11:33 AM »

I do papers tj and in those I read (Guardian, Indie and Observer) I've seen nothing worse than I've read on MW and often they are more understanding that Andy will have downs as well as ups than some posters here.
I agree though that many others out there in the cybosphere will use any excuse for a good Andy bash.  Well I'd rather be on the Andy roller coaster than anywhere else in the tennis fans world. And like you, I think we should just let the rankings look after themselves and I hope the commentators will stop questioning Andy about them and stop the endless speculating about the slightest shift from one tournament to another.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #78 on: April 23, 2013, 05:35 PM »

I do papers tj and in those I read (Guardian, Indie and Observer) I've seen nothing worse than I've read on MW and often they are more understanding that Andy will have downs as well as ups than some posters here.
I agree though that many others out there in the cybosphere will use any excuse for a good Andy bash.  Well I'd rather be on the Andy roller coaster than anywhere else in the tennis fans world. And like you, I think we should just let the rankings look after themselves and I hope the commentators will stop questioning Andy about them and stop the endless speculating about the slightest shift from one tournament to another.

I've just noticed I got my words a bit confused in my previous post. My brain has clearly gone again lol.

Ruthie, I was sorely tempted to mention the way some MW posters get worked up when Andy loses, but I thought I'd best not go there Smile

I agree with you, I hope the commentators will leave Andy alone about the ranking thing. I realise it has its importance, to a point, but I would really worry if Andy got so focused on that one thing that he forgot the bigger picture, which is playing as well as he can and winning when he can. The fact is that if Andy gets the results the ranking will look after itself, but within that it is equally important to remember that you can't play your best 100% of the time, no one can.

I wouldn't miss the ups and downs of Andy's career for the world, especially in this period, where the ups are happening a lot more often. It took me back the other day, watching young Dimitrov trying to get through Nadal at MC and cramping in the process. It so reminded me of Andy at Queen's in 2005. Look how far Andy has come since then.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Stan dismantles Murray « Reply #79 on: April 24, 2013, 10:00 PM »

Yes I was thinking how Dimitrov could learn from Andy tj - so that he can back up his great skill with greater fitness. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »