Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Toothless Murray bunted out 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Toothless Murray bunted out

(Read 3726 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #45 on: April 20, 2012, 05:07 PM »

As Grabcopy has pointed out elsewhere, Andy does not yet move very well on the dirt. Because of this his timing on the ball is slightly off anyway. Therefore, it's not rocket science to think he's  not as confident as he could be. In these circumstances, is anyone seriously doubting that witnessing a bad injury, that is taking Benneteau out for weeks, is not going to effect this confidence?
As for Nole, I like him very much and am sorry for his loss, but experiencing a death in the family, is not the same as thinking you're going to break your ankle in a pot hole at any moment.
One thing I'd like to mention in this connection, and that is Andy's bipartite patella (which tends to get forgotten about because he rarely mentions it).  He has said though that clay is the surface which aggravates it most because of all the slipping and sliding around, and that certain sideways movements, particularly on clay, cause it to give him pain.  As a result he's had to adapt more than most players to playing on that surface.

And I agree about Nole - a bereavement isn't going to put him out of the game for months, which a serious ankle injury most certainly would do.  It could even end his career.  Would we like that to happen?
[ Last edit by Aileen April 20, 2012, 05:12 PM ] IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #46 on: April 20, 2012, 05:26 PM »

John if you find clay court tennis so boring, and you don't understand the nuances of it, then why give yourself grief watching it?

Also re Dubai and Miami - how often do I have to repeat this ... just where was Andy at these tournaments in 2010 and 2011?  Wallowing in a black hole of shattered confidence and self-belief, that's where.  As far as I'm concerned this year is a 200% improvement on the last two.  
sorry Aileen about my post *deleted*  it was far too negative  I just don't know what to think these days   ohh Im so stupid sometimes  doh   and yes you are 100% correct  much better than those dark days of the last 2 years
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #47 on: April 20, 2012, 05:28 PM »

sorry Aileen about my post *deleted*  it was far too negative  I just don't know what to think these days   ohh Im so stupid sometimes  doh   and yes you are 100% correct  much better than those dark days of the last 2 years
Never mind John - we all get a bit carried away sometimes where Andy's concerned. hug  Also I've deleted the quote of your post.  Forget it. Smile
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #48 on: April 20, 2012, 05:33 PM »

Never mind John - we all get a bit carried away sometimes where Andy's concerned. hug  Also I've deleted the quote of your post.  Forget it. Smile
thanks..  I just need to let it go..   Andy is the best !!! Smile  Cmon Andy!!!!!! !!  yeah that sounds more like me Smile
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #49 on: April 20, 2012, 05:33 PM »

We need to be patient fellow MWs. Lets see how he gets on in Barcalona next week.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #50 on: April 20, 2012, 05:35 PM »

I agree that the comparison with Nole's loss misses the point, which is not to take away credit from Nole as his win yesterday showed his will to win whatever the circumstances.  Also, Andy's assessment of the impact of the court on his kind of game is pretty much what Sky comms [Fleming if I remember correctly] had said ie it is more damaging to Andy's kind of game than Berdych's. 
I don't think anyone is happy with Andy's performance today but whereas some of us try to understand it and give the guy a bit of slack on what is only his 3rd clay court singles match since RG others are only too happy to rush to condemn.  And I think it's unfortunate that the headline that visitors to MW will read could have been written about Andy's debacle 2 years ago rather than offering a fair summary of today's disappointing performance against a top 8 player who was at top of his game.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #51 on: April 20, 2012, 05:37 PM »

FFS! When will people learn that Andy's on court rants are not the reason he plays badly they are the RESULT. Sure, when the difference between you and your opponent is .5 of a percent it might make the difference but he was miles short today.

No, we know that. But the attitude he develops that causes the swearing stops him from regaining composure more than other players and makes it worse.
And yes the preception it gives would not have made the difference enough to turn it around Today.
[ Last edit by theycanbillme April 20, 2012, 06:08 PM ] IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #52 on: April 20, 2012, 05:39 PM »

^^ I actually dont believe Berdych was at the very top of his game, he was just better than Andy who gave him all the time he needed & put him under no pressure whatsoever.
Still the milk has been spilt.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #53 on: April 20, 2012, 05:41 PM »

^^ I actually dont believe Berdych was at the very top of his game, he was just better than Andy who gave him all the time he needed & put him under no pressure whatsoever.
Still the milk has been spilt.
Well he was certainly nearer the top of his game than Andy was his.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #54 on: April 20, 2012, 05:47 PM »

Well he was certainly nearer the top of his game than Andy was his.

On that we can agree!
Andy's A game is more of course.
But he often has difficulty producing it and thats a fact.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #55 on: April 20, 2012, 05:55 PM »

On that we can agree!
Yes will agree with that but perhaps that's partly because of the different nature of their games?  A game which depends more on finesse than power is more susceptible to such fluctuations I'd have thought.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #56 on: April 20, 2012, 05:58 PM »

I think it's unfortunate that the headline that visitors to MW will read could have been written about Andy's debacle 2 years ago rather than offering a fair summary of today's disappointing performance against a top 8 player who was at top of his game.
I agree - and Phil really should check the dictionary before posting his headings.  "To bunt" means "To push or strike with or as if with the head; butt."  Hardly descriptive of a game of tennis! lol
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #57 on: April 20, 2012, 06:14 PM »

Yes will agree with that but perhaps that's partly because of the different nature of their games?  A game which depends more on finesse than power is more susceptible to such fluctuations I'd have thought.

Then he might need to surrender a little bit of his delicacy occasionally for some brute force. Although i love the complexity of his game it would be nice to have a bit more stability for his and our sakes.
But particularly his.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #58 on: April 20, 2012, 06:17 PM »

We need to be patient fellow MWs. Lets see how he gets on in Barcalona next week.
Well one thing does occur to me, and that is that Lendl has seen the best and the worst of Andy on clay - so the pair of them should have plenty to work on over the next few days and Barcelona should be a relatively comfortable tournament (pray) where Andy can get more practice and gain more confidence on the red dirt.
IP Logged
reef
Junior

coral reef

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #59 on: April 20, 2012, 06:19 PM »

On that we can agree!

Yes that makes sense - Andy is not as consistent as many believe.  The A game is too often not there and that is exactly what he needs to achieve his Major goal.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »