Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Somdev Devvarman, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Toothless Murray bunted out 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Toothless Murray bunted out

(Read 3697 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #75 on: April 20, 2012, 09:29 PM »

Never mind scotnadian. When you are a Murray fan hope springs eternal. I just hope he has a better tournament in Barcelona a beautiful city.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #76 on: April 21, 2012, 02:03 AM »

For those who don't believe Andy was concerned about slipping yesterday -

Rafael Nadal concerned about court surface in Monte Carlo

Three players have gone down with horrible ankle injuries in Monte Carlo this week, and Rafael Nadal suspects there might be something wrong with the court surface. Juan Monaco, Julien Benneteau and Sebastien Couberes (in qualies) all retired from their matches this week due to ankle sprains, and in Benneteau’s case, the fall also resulted in a fractured elbow, ruling him out of Roland Garros.

Full article + explicit videos - http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bgf7X?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=tennis
[ Last edit by Aileen April 21, 2012, 08:11 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #77 on: April 21, 2012, 02:05 AM »

Talking about the courts in Monte Carlo, did anyone else pick up on the comment that the people that maintain these courts are the same ones that look after RG? Think
IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #78 on: April 21, 2012, 06:45 AM »

Probably not the right thread to post this. Certainly not the right time, considering last night's match, but it is topical. So.....for anyone who can stomach a little Murray embarrassment......

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/4270101/Andy-Murrays-mince-at-Olympics-quiz.html
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #79 on: April 21, 2012, 08:10 AM »

I think we should remember that playing on clay is a work in progress. Really think the match report is very harsh and one I didn't think took into consideration all that was going on. Wonder what will be said when Berdy beats Nole which I think is a distinct possibility.
Also I'm so glad that Ivan is Andy's coach and not Boogers or some others on MW, as Andy would retire now completely disheartened. Roll on Barcelona and the gradual understanding of how to play clay and a natural putting together of all he is trying to add to his game with Ivan.
When horrible A. Croft tried to be negative re this match Peter or the Lief said that Andy played some wonderful strokes and that Berdy was playing so well that he would have been a handful for Nole. There are days when a player plays out of their skin and are just too strong.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #80 on: April 21, 2012, 08:32 AM »

Talking about the courts in Monte Carlo, did anyone else pick up on the comment that the people that maintain these courts are the same ones that look after RG? Think
No I didn't hear that.  Hopefully after these accidents pressure will be brought to bear on the maintenance company involved to get their act together before the FO.  In fact I think the players concerned, especially poor Benneteau, might have grounds for suing them.

Probably not the right thread to post this. Certainly not the right time, considering last night's match, but it is topical. So.....for anyone who can stomach a little Murray embarrassment......

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/4270101/Andy-Murrays-mince-at-Olympics-quiz.html
Tom - a video of the full extent of Andy's hilarious embarrassment (which is worth listening to!) was posted on the Murray videos thread - http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/andy-murray/murray-videos/new/?topicseen#new - and he wasn't the only person to score a duck! lol

IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #81 on: April 21, 2012, 09:09 AM »

Shocking match up, especially on Clay.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #82 on: April 21, 2012, 09:49 AM »

And I can't believe that what happened to Benneteau yesterday (and another player who had to be wheelchaired off the court) didn't prey a little on his mind.  What happened to Benneteau happened right before his eyes, and he was clearly upset by it.  He most definitely wasn't happy with the surface, and that was obvious the way he kept poking at it and banging the clay off his shoes.   Also didn't he point out to the umpire yesterday that parts of the court had holes in it?  And what about the two dreadful bounces which affected first Berdych and then Andy due to the court's surface?  Disgraceful maintenance by the tournament organisers, imo.

OK Phil, be as negative as you like - we've come to expect it after all - but I make no apology by saying that I go along with BBH and Bevc on the subject of what you say about this match, and also what Andy himself has to say.  Given his improving record on this surface generally over the last two years, and the fact that he now has Lendl as his coach, I unreservedly expect continuing improvement as the clay court season progresses.  The return of some of Andy's old behaviour was unwelcome but nobody is going to change long-term bad habits quickly.  Personally I'm going to put this match to the back of my mind and focus on his performance against Troicki instead.  A different kettle of fish from Berdych certainly, but at least Andy showed us just how superbly he is capable of playing on clay.

Thank heavens for common sense! I'll add my agreement to all that Aileen, BBH, Bev etc have said in Andy's defence - I always have liked James (Clydey) and re-iterate his excellent comment. I think you're in a minority Phil about the severity of your criticism.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #83 on: April 21, 2012, 10:00 AM »

No I didn't hear that.  Hopefully after these accidents pressure will be brought to bear on the maintenance company involved to get their act together before the FO.  In fact I think the players concerned, especially poor Benneteau, might have grounds for suing them.

Poor Benneteau came off quite badly from his fall, didn't he hug  I know that accidents do happen but they must be concerned by the number of injured players this tournie and hope that they will be more vigilant for the FO Very Happy
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #84 on: April 21, 2012, 10:59 AM »

Murray was far too passive yesterday, but at the same time despite being way off his best he was in the match for a long period so I don't know that this report is all that fair.

Well as Berdych played yesterday and he was very good I do not see him beating Novak on the basis that I do not feel he will be allowed to dicate play as much as he was yesterday.
IP Logged
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #85 on: April 21, 2012, 11:36 AM »

So the world number 4 lost to the world number 6 in just under three hours on a surface that he openly admits is his weakest and one he is still learning on!  This quarter-final was always going to be tough and Berdych, as usual against Andy, produced his best tennis.  It remains to be seen if he can find the same high quality level against Djokovic today but if he does the world number one will have his work cut out, big time.

After Berdych's dismissal of Andy's genuine concern over the condition of the surface after the match we can only hope that none of the remaining competitors suffer a serious injury in the last two days of this tournament.   Andy was court-side when Monaco rolled his ankle badly and he was clearly upset when Bennetteu was sent crashing down.  Sickening and distressing accidents befalling very experienced clay-court players should not be swept aside and once again Andy and Nadal have had the guts to speak out, shaming the other players and organisers.  

Andy will be glad to see the back of Monte Carlo, with all its glamour and beauty there are clearly issues that need to be addressed.  It was obvious that Andy was inhibited in his movement and who can blame him - that court is a potential death trap.  

Oh, and what a joke the scheduling was!  Sky showed Andy arriving with a box of Oatibix cereal for his breakfast-time match, the stand-out most competitive tussle of the four quarter-finals, the quality of tennis in the other three matches slumping downhill all the way as the day wore on.  Ridiculous.  

As for Annabel Croft, she really is very negative indeed about Andy.  I should say MURRAY, as she seems to have a problem using his first name.  We all know that she is a fully paid up member of the Roger Federer appreciation society but she should be a tad more professional and at least be consistent.  At one point yesterday she was talking about 'Murray' and 'Tomas' and was gushing at the thought of 'Tomas' taking 'Murray's' position in the top four.   Here's hoping Sky bring back Marcus as Ms Croft appears to be less than enthusiastic in her appreciation of Great Britain's best player for the last seventy-odd years and one who is helping keep her in her highly paid job.  
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #86 on: April 21, 2012, 11:50 AM »

Good post clementine. Puts the match into perspective.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #87 on: April 21, 2012, 11:56 AM »

Harsh reporting but I would expect nothing less every time Andy loses. What people forget is that Berdych is a matchup nightmare for Andy especially on clay where the Czech gets time to set up his big forehand on the dirt so it was always going to be Tomas who would be dictating a lot of the rallies.

It's not entirely to blame but being made to play 3 early matches in a row seems a bit unfair on Andy, the questionable surface didn't help either and Rafa has also chipped in with his concerns on the court conditions.

Anyway, onwards to Barcelona and hopefully Andy can pick up the performance as he builds towards RG.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #88 on: April 21, 2012, 12:01 PM »

I wonder how the critics of Andy at MC would have done after seeing Pic's fall and injury on the main court and then seeing an even worse fall the next day, and later hearing that the injury was serious with a broken elbow sprained wrist and ankle. I'm sure Andy was concerned and in the back of his mind would have been his own injury last year in RG. I'm sure he didn't want to scupper the rest of his clay season, so he wouldn't found it easy to move with any freedom on this surface.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #89 on: April 21, 2012, 01:01 PM »

I see we have AK400 back to gloat. I bet he could not wait. Tell me AK400 were was your beloved Mr Smug or was he too tired to play in Monte Carlo. He could have mixed with the rich and famous.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »