Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Toothless Murray bunted out 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Toothless Murray bunted out

(Read 3772 times)
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 02:19 PM »

Phil, you made a hay day out of that for yourself!
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 02:23 PM »

Good performance, Andy.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 02:25 PM »

First match on clay. Witnesses a horror of an injury in front of his eyes. Still unsure of his clay footing. Playing no 6.
People, cut him some slack!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 02:35 PM »

LLB, agree, am sure that would've been on Andy's mind. Remember that awful ankle injury anyone?
And I can't believe that what happened to Benneteau yesterday (and another player who had to be wheelchaired off the court) didn't prey a little on his mind.  What happened to Benneteau happened right before his eyes, and he was clearly upset by it.  He most definitely wasn't happy with the surface, and that was obvious the way he kept poking at it and banging the clay off his shoes.   Also didn't he point out to the umpire yesterday that parts of the court had holes in it?  And what about the two dreadful bounces which affected first Berdych and then Andy due to the court's surface?  Disgraceful maintenance by the tournament organisers, imo.

OK Phil, be as negative as you like - we've come to expect it after all - but I make no apology by saying that I go along with BBH and Bevc on the subject of what you say about this match, and also what Andy himself has to say.  Given his improving record on this surface generally over the last two years, and the fact that he now has Lendl as his coach, I unreservedly expect continuing improvement as the clay court season progresses.  The return of some of Andy's old behaviour was unwelcome but nobody is going to change long-term bad habits quickly.  Personally I'm going to put this match to the back of my mind and focus on his performance against Troicki instead.  A different kettle of fish from Berdych certainly, but at least Andy showed us just how superbly he is capable of playing on clay.

[ Last edit by Aileen April 20, 2012, 02:43 PM ] IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 02:38 PM »

Re blueberryhill's last comment. Here, here. Totally agree.  I think the write up is harsh. What I will take from this tournament is the match against Troicki. It was an absolute joy. It is worth following Murray for those sorts of performances alone. I am even more convinced that Benneteau's injury must have been playing on his mind, especially if he has had a nasty injury on clay in the past.  Thank you for summing up and expressing so concisely what I was meaning...!!!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 02:45 PM »

I suppose booger's ultra-negative write up was only to be expected.  He's like a vulture waiting to swoop for blood the minute Andy trips up.
Yes it was disappointing but I agree with littleb and others that I'm sure Benneteau's accident preyed on his mind and remember too one of his best friends on tour Monaco was also injured in the same spot.  Also the sky comms made the point that the dreadful service favoured the aggressor over the counterpuncher because the latter could never be sure where the ball would bounce.  So ok for berdych to be more philosophical about it in his post-match sky interview.
Much as I dislike Berdych he played really well today. Andy was well below his best.  But remember too that Birdy played DC on clay recently and this is Andy's first tourno on clay since RG.  A shame too that he went back to his negative ways but as Aileen said people don't change overnight.  I'm hoping that Lendl will have much to show him from this week - both the positives and the negatives.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 02:47 PM »

That must have been awful to see Benneteau have that accident so likely Andy did have it in the back of his mind. Couple that with the fact that Berdych is a difficult match up for him and you have the result you do. Good luck to Andy in Barcelona. Maybe it's perfect he added that event to his schedule this year.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 02:53 PM »

And a bit more from Andy, who thankfully is not as negative as some here:

"He played better," conceded Murray. "I mean, I hung in, in the first set. He had some chances on my serve. Then in the tie-break I got a few lucky bounces. He missed a couple of shots that he hadn't been missing. At the start of the second set it was where he obviously started playing better and my level dropped clearly, as the result, the score line, suggests"
At some points today in the match I did well; some points I didn't do so well," he explained. "It's going to take me a few weeks. Today is a good match to learn from because I was playing a top player who played very, very well."

His press conference from yesterday is now up on the MC website - where he talks about the Benneteau injury, as well as how to play Berdych. Also says he will play doubles at Barcelona with Jamie.
http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.com/News/Tennis/2012/Interview-Transcripts/Andy-Murray-Thursday.aspx

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 02:58 PM »

And a bit more from Andy, who thankfully is not as negative as some here:

"He played better," conceded Murray. "I mean, I hung in, in the first set. He had some chances on my serve. Then in the tie-break I got a few lucky bounces. He missed a couple of shots that he hadn't been missing. At the start of the second set it was where he obviously started playing better and my level dropped clearly, as the result, the score line, suggests"
At some points today in the match I did well; some points I didn't do so well," he explained. "It's going to take me a few weeks. Today is a good match to learn from because I was playing a top player who played very, very well."

His press conference from yesterday is now up on the MC website - where he talks about the Benneteau injury, as well as how to play Berdych. Also says he will play doubles at Barcelona with Jamie.
http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.com/News/Tennis/2012/Interview-Transcripts/Andy-Murray-Thursday.aspx

Thanks Elena.  Glad Andy sees it as a learning experience because that's what it is.  And good he'll be playing dubs with jamie next week. Sounds as if they played well against bryan bros even if they lost in straight sets. The more match time on clay the better I think to help him find that crucial balance.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 03:09 PM »

I think the write up is fair considering the way Murray can play on a good. day. As for all the nonsense about having Benny's accident at the back of his mind, what rubbish! If that is the case Andy might as well retire now and wrap himself in cotton wool.

Every match the players go out away of the risks they take with their bodies. Berdych has known what happened to Monaco and Benny and surely it would have affected him as much if injury concern was forefront? he could have just as easily been injured and didn't see him playing like a wet rag out there.

Andy played a poor second and third set, I'm not saying it was all bad but very little was outstanding against a player who has been showing constant improvement in the last year if not longer.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 03:14 PM »

I think the write up is fair considering the way Murray can play on a good. day. As for all the nonsense about having Benny's accident at the back of his mind, what rubbish! If that is the case Andy might as well retire now and wrap himself in cotton wool.
Every match the players go out away of the risks they take with their bodies. Berdych has known what happened to Monaco and Benny and surely it would have affected him as much if injury concern was forefront? he could have just as easily been injured and didn't see him playing like a wet rag out there.

Andy played a poor second and third set, I'm not saying it was all bad but very little was outstanding against a player who has been showing constant improvement in the last year if not longer.

Well said Hazybear.
Also Andy bravely played through an actual injury at last years FO, a nasty one too and still got to the semis, so I'm not having it either.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 03:15 PM »

From the start of the year Andy has been focusing on winning a GS and the news that Benneteau has broken a bone in his elbow and is unlikely to play in the Olympics must have brought home to Andy how easily the prospect of playing in a GS and the Olympics could be taken away from him hence the tentative way he was playing.  Bad enough your opponent had to retire yesterday but your friend and sometimes hitting partner had to retire for the same reasons must have had an impact.  I'm not making excuses for Andy, he was horrible to watch and I hope he brings his best tennis back in the next tournament, he was dumped out of Indian Wells but found his form in Miami.  Let's not foget how he played against Troicka, this was before the injuries started.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 03:21 PM »

From the start of the year Andy has been focusing on winning a GS and the news that Benneteau has broken a bone in his elbow and is unlikely to play in the Olympics must have brought home to Andy how easily the prospect of playing in a GS and the Olympics could be taken away from him hence the tentative way he was playing.  Bad enough your opponent had to retire yesterday but your friend and sometimes hitting partner had to retire for the same reasons must have had an impact.  I'm not making excuses for Andy, he was horrible to watch and I hope he brings his best tennis back in the next tournament, he was dumped out of Indian Wells but found his form in Miami.  Let's not foget how he played against Troicka, this was before the injuries started.

What about Djokovic wanting to follow on from last year? Nadal wanting to defend his gold medal from the last Olympics? Sorry but if it's really able to affect Murray that much more than the others then he is mentally weaker than I thought Shrug
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 03:24 PM »

Novak Djokovic's grandfather died yesterday FGS and he still pulled through.
Its unlikely it was due to another players injury!
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 03:27 PM »

Novak is following on from last year and Rafa is defending something he has already won.  Andy has not won a GS and it is everything he is focusing on and will not let anything interefere with his mission.  It is not a question of mental weakness, just maybe overcautious.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »