Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Toothless Murray bunted out 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Toothless Murray bunted out

(Read 3800 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #105 on: April 21, 2012, 04:21 PM »

I quite despise Berdych as well but come on, some people just trying to find criticism with anything.

What he says is right. He has no weak surface - he has had results on Clay, Grass and Hard. He's just being honest.
I disagree!!  every player has their own weak surface and what he said what was not 100% correct!   Even Fed, Nadal and Nole have their preferences on which court surface  they would rather play on  
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #106 on: April 21, 2012, 04:43 PM »

I quite despise Berdych as well but come on, some people just trying to find criticism with anything.

What he says is right. He has no weak surface - he has had results on Clay, Grass and Hard. He's just being honest.

I absolutely agree with your sentiment there. Some of the comments about other players are just filled with pure hatred and show no respect. Quite ironic when you see how much respect Andy pays to each one of them regardless and doesn’t take things on a personal level. I guess he knows what it takes to be out there and play competitive matches in tough conditions day in day out. As a player Berdych is quite unique and it makes one admire his talent and what Benneteau showed/said the other day was also pretty admirable if anything. I always like to see lesser ranked players getting all pumped up when playing the top guns as it's their only time to bright and shine, and showcase their talent and it's also when true tennis fans get to see what they are all about as well. Most times what they say before and after a match is perfectly legitimate to their feelings and I’d rather they be honest  with themselves than just simply sit there and worship the top players.  
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #107 on: April 21, 2012, 05:13 PM »

He has had results that are intermittent and inconsistent, if he was as good as he says he is, he would be challenging for a top four spot and consistently in the latter stages of tournaments and especially GS's.  He deserved to win yesterday and nobody can take that away from him and perhaps people may feel a bit warmer towards him if he was a bit less of a sactimonious, big headed, arrogant, nasty and smug man.  Just some of the reasons I don't like him!!!!!!

Oh I agree completely. But the line that JK was referring to seemed quite honest to me, I didn't see anything wrong with what he said.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #108 on: April 21, 2012, 05:16 PM »

I disagree!!  every player has their own weak surface and what he said what was not 100% correct!   Even Fed, Nadal and Nole have their preferences on which court surface  they would rather play on 
"My advantage is that I can play on any surface."

Andy himself has admitted it takes him a bit of time to get used to the Clay each season.

Berdych quite evidently doesn't have the same problem. If anthing he was offering Andy an excuse as to how he beat him.

Now Berdych clearly isn't as good a player as Andy or as consistent over the season, but he doesn't say that.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #109 on: April 21, 2012, 05:42 PM »

Bird is 26 and how many Masters 1000 has he got?
Andy is 24 and how many Masters 1000 has he got?
Point made.
Interesting also some people are saying Berdych at 26 is a future slam winner, but Andy at 24 is written off.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #110 on: April 21, 2012, 05:43 PM »

Well said MM. I agree Berdych is an arrogant man. I know he is not liked by many of the other players. I know  last year in  Spain he showed his arrogance and was soundly booed by the crowd.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #111 on: April 21, 2012, 05:51 PM »

The one true quality Andy has is DETERMINATION a fine quality. He also has guts and does not give up. For that quality alone we should be thankful. We have almost a full year to go and I am sure he still has a lot of good matches coming up. Oh ye of little faith.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #112 on: April 21, 2012, 06:07 PM »

Andy is of course altogether on a different level than Berdych but that's not the point Berdych was making. For a tall guy like him (6'5"), he's quite comfortable on any surface and that's indeed his advantage. He has titles on all surfaces and that's makes him a complete player and if he goes on to sneak in a Slam in the future by any chance, I won't be too surprised, as I feel he's perfectly capable of winning one; however, not many. Because Andy hasn't quite taken himself to that level to those of Federer, Novak and Nadal, and because he has the tendency to lose to lesser ranked players a bit more than the top guys, the other players do fancy their chances against him. It's up to Andy to take himself to a level where players would be more intimidated by him and won't be too keen on pointing out what truly gives them the advantage, though again, I still don't see anything wrong with it either.

And Andy is in a very unique situation so it doesn't apply to him at all what other players who are ahead and behind him do or think. Andy’s overall results will always be different than theirs. In other words, the comparison is not a fair one and certainly not based on the circumstances we have in hand. Andy has a very different priority and so his results overall will be inconsistent compared to both group of players. I wish people would be a bit more thoughtful in their approach. Once you establish the fact that certain players can be arrogant at times, there’s no point talking about it five different times on five different places.  You have already made your point.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #113 on: April 21, 2012, 07:13 PM »

So the world number 4 lost to the world number 6 in just under three hours on a surface that he openly admits is his weakest and one he is still learning on!  This quarter-final was always going to be tough and Berdych, as usual against Andy, produced his best tennis.  It remains to be seen if he can find the same high quality level against Djokovic today but if he does the world number one will have his work cut out, big time.

After Berdych's dismissal of Andy's genuine concern over the condition of the surface after the match we can only hope that none of the remaining competitors suffer a serious injury in the last two days of this tournament.   Andy was court-side when Monaco rolled his ankle badly and he was clearly upset when Bennetteu was sent crashing down.  Sickening and distressing accidents befalling very experienced clay-court players should not be swept aside and once again Andy and Nadal have had the guts to speak out, shaming the other players and organisers. 

Andy will be glad to see the back of Monte Carlo, with all its glamour and beauty there are clearly issues that need to be addressed.  It was obvious that Andy was inhibited in his movement and who can blame him - that court is a potential death trap. 

Oh, and what a joke the scheduling was!  Sky showed Andy arriving with a box of Oatibix cereal for his breakfast-time match, the stand-out most competitive tussle of the four quarter-finals, the quality of tennis in the other three matches slumping downhill all the way as the day wore on.  Ridiculous. 

As for Annabel Croft, she really is very negative indeed about Andy.  I should say MURRAY, as she seems to have a problem using his first name.  We all know that she is a fully paid up member of the Roger Federer appreciation society but she should be a tad more professional and at least be consistent.  At one point yesterday she was talking about 'Murray' and 'Tomas' and was gushing at the thought of 'Tomas' taking 'Murray's' position in the top four.   Here's hoping Sky bring back Marcus as Ms Croft appears to be less than enthusiastic in her appreciation of Great Britain's best player for the last seventy-odd years and one who is helping keep her in her highly paid job. 
Just read your post Clementine and you have expressed my thoughts re Annabel throughout this week - your post was great and today Rafa was complaining about the state of the court. I was very glad that no injury occured him or Simon during their enjoyable match. Novak and Nadal tomorow will I am sure be an exciting match but I am almost glad Andy is out of it with the risks the court here at MC seems to entail. 
IP Logged
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #114 on: April 21, 2012, 07:30 PM »

Berd Brain could learn a thing or two from Andy   about class      "My advantage is that I can play on everything  and that's it"  WTF.   That's just so arrogant.  No wonder hardly anyone likes him.  When was the last time he actually reached a semi final in a GS.. how many GS finals has he been in? how many titles has he actually won? He's too far up his a*se to play down his chances and actually make a non arrogant comment.   He's taking over SmugFed's job  as the Humble King.   Watch out SmugFed  we have a new kid on the block coming to steal your  Smug Role.   
Perhaps we are all being a bit too personal here when players say the things they do, we have to allow that some players are speaking English as a foreign language and they are not always as gushing as Americans or as dour as Brits. It is the tennis that counts and results in the end not presenters or soundbites. God forbid that Andy could be considered in the term class andy would give a wry smile at that comment as he was always being spoken of as arrogant before he learned to handle the press. Nuff said we don't know any of them personally.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #115 on: April 21, 2012, 07:36 PM »

I note that Nole was complaining about the court surface to the umpire today also.
And compare and contrast Andy's tweet about defeat to TB and TB's arrogant statement.  I wonder if Andy had won whether TB would have been as generous about him?  That said, he did acknowledge his DC matches on clay had helped him.  As Paul Newman pointed out in Indie, TB had played 11 sets on clay in previous fortnight whereas Andy had played fewer than 3. And given TB says he was born to play on clay and Andy clearly finds it his most difficult surface, and given TB pushed Nole pretty hard for some of the match at least, I do think the intense negativity expressed by a few people on MW including in the match report really is not warranted.  I know I've said that already but just producing more evidence in defence  Whistle

ps I take your point AFT about non-English speakers having to give interviews in English but he has shown his arrogance on court as well like when he put his finger to his mouth in front of a Spanish crowd when he was playing Rafa some years ago and then when he refused to shake hands with Almagro more recently after the latter hit him with the ball but apologised profusely.
[ Last edit by Ruthie April 21, 2012, 07:40 PM ] IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #116 on: April 21, 2012, 07:48 PM »

Perhaps we are all being a bit too personal here when players say the things they do, we have to allow that some players are speaking English as a foreign language and they are not always as gushing as Americans or as dour as Brits. It is the tennis that counts and results in the end not presenters or soundbites. God forbid that Andy could be considered in the term class andy would give a wry smile at that comment as he was always being spoken of as arrogant before he learned to handle the press. Nuff said we don't know any of them personally.
Well said, we don't know them and their language difference makes it harder. From what I've learned of Andy through books, i/vs etc he's a thoroughly decent  guy, a young man I would be proud to have as a grandson with all the right morals and attitudes. That says it all really and as a lovley Scotts laddie I support him, G S or not and wish himthe very best.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #117 on: April 21, 2012, 07:57 PM »

^Couldn't have put it better myself Janscribe!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #118 on: April 21, 2012, 10:04 PM »

I can think of a few foreign players whose native tongue isn't English but who manage to express themselves very well in a humble and sincere manner - Djokovic, Nadal, Ferrer, Tsonga and Del Potro springing immediately to mind.
IP Logged
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #119 on: April 22, 2012, 01:23 AM »

I can think of a few foreign players whose native tongue isn't English but who manage to express themselves very well in a humble and sincere manner - Djokovic, Nadal, Ferrer, Tsonga and Del Potro springing immediately to mind.
When you realise how many interviews players have to give after each match you know it 's easier to be 'nice' and say the things fans want to hear. I don't know that Nadal etc are any more sincere than others, they have just learned to play the fans. The snarl of Rafa is hardly the face of a charming fella and it goes without saying he means war when he faces an opponent. I don't buy all this nicy nicy for the audience. Nice and charming is all part of the media and promotions game. Andy finds it difficult to act a part he is not and I admire him for being himself. Do we want everyone to be the same? Borg was hardly able to talk. Fed was obnoxious until he made it big and now is too nice to be true. Let them be who they are and stop judging them by their off court interviews -they mean nothing. It is what they bring to the match that matters. confused
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »