Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Toothless Murray bunted out 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Reply
Author

Toothless Murray bunted out

(Read 3847 times)
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #120 on: April 22, 2012, 01:43 AM »

Anyway I am tired of all the protective shield some of the ladies are throwing around Andy. I don't want him as a grandson, I don't want him to be falsely humble and sincere, I don't know what his morals or attitudes to life are and I don't really care. I just want him to go out and beat the hell out of all and sundry whatever their creed is. Is this too much to ask of a Brit or are we just going to wallow in our idea of a picture, books,interviews etc paint him as? I like him his quirky attitude and his abilities and his game when he is on form so perhaps that's what we should all do and forget GS's. He is the best we have so let's just appreciate that. offtopic
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #121 on: April 22, 2012, 01:52 AM »

When you realise how many interviews players have to give after each match you know it 's easier to be 'nice' and say the things fans want to hear. I don't know that Nadal etc are any more sincere than others, they have just learned to play the fans. The snarl of Rafa is hardly the face of a charming fella and it goes without saying he means war when he faces an opponent. I don't buy all this nicy nicy for the audience. Nice and charming is all part of the media and promotions game. Andy finds it difficult to act a part he is not and I admire him for being himself. Do we want everyone to be the same? Borg was hardly able to talk. Fed was obnoxious until he made it big and now is too nice to be true. Let them be who they are and stop judging them by their off court interviews -they mean nothing. It is what they bring to the match that matters. confused
I agree there's a strong element of that, but would you really prefer players to say exactly what they think in post-match interviews?  However, as far as I can gather from what you're saying you'd be quite happy to see the end of such interviews, and I must admit so would I.  I mean no disrespect to Andy, but I rarely listen to recordings of his now because they've become so predictable, which is hardly surprising given that it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to come up with something fresh each time he's faced with the equally predictable questions from the media.  
IP Logged
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #122 on: April 22, 2012, 01:56 AM »

Yes I would like the players to say look I am shattered I don't want to speak you thanks until I have won the masters, slam etc and then I will say a few words. 
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #123 on: April 22, 2012, 02:27 AM »

When you realise how many interviews players have to give after each match you know it 's easier to be 'nice' and say the things fans want to hear. ...Nice and charming is all part of the media and promotions game. Andy finds it difficult to act a part he is not and I admire him for being himself. Do we want everyone to be the same?.... Let them be who they are and stop judging them by their off court interviews -they mean nothing. It is what they bring to the match that matters.

I hear you AFT..but Andy has (and still is) learning to play the other "game."
The guy has sponsors and gawd only know who or what else he has to commit to, and I do think he's getting progressively better at handling the media.
That's why I love the old videos and stories..because to me, that's the authentic 'Andy.'
If it was only about his tennis, I'm sure life would be so much easier for him, eh?

IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #124 on: April 22, 2012, 12:01 PM »

AFT:- You could sate the same about all the top 4 players. Personally I think the most sugar sweet butter would'nt melt in my mouth is Federer. I think the man is a total fraud, but hey his sponsors love him. Andy is straight forward I prefer him to sugary Mr Smug at least he is genuine.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #125 on: April 22, 2012, 12:50 PM »

I hear you AFT..but Andy has (and still is) learning to play the other "game."
The guy has sponsors and gawd only know who or what else he has to commit to, and I do think he's getting progressively better at handling the media.
That's why I love the old videos and stories..because to me, that's the authentic 'Andy.'
If it was only about his tennis, I'm sure life would be so much easier for him, eh?

I also think Andy's speech has improved of late.  Maybe it's down to maturity and more self-assurance, but his voice has lost the monotonous quality it used to have (something he admitted himself, btw!) - and he's stopped saying "you know" after every few words, which is also a sign of a more confident speaker.

AFT:- You could sate the same about all the top 4 players. Personally I think the most sugar sweet butter would'nt melt in my mouth is Federer. I think the man is a total fraud, but hey his sponsors love him. Andy is straight forward I prefer him to sugary Mr Smug at least he is genuine.
I agree.  Fed just loves the sound of his own voice ... and, remind me, what languages does he speak fluently in addition to his native Swiss-German?  Oh yes - German (there is a difference), English and French, plus a good smattering of Spanish, Swedish and Italian with a little Mandarin Chinese thrown in - all of which he'll air at any opportunity - but then he's wised-up to the fact that it's a crowd-pleaser when spectators hear even just a few phrases in their own tongue when the winners/runners-up make speeches at presentation ceremonies.
IP Logged
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #126 on: April 23, 2012, 11:06 AM »

w00t
I also think Andy's speech has improved of late.  Maybe it's down to maturity and more self-assurance, but his voice has lost the monotonous quality it used to have (something he admitted himself, btw!) - and he's stopped saying "you know" after every few words, which is also a sign of a more confident speaker.
I agree.  Fed just loves the sound of his own voice ... and, remind me, what languages does he speak fluently in addition to his native Swiss-German?  Oh yes - German (there is a difference), English and French, plus a good smattering of Spanish, Swedish and Italian with a little Mandarin Chinese thrown in - all of which he'll air at any opportunity - but then he's wised-up to the fact that it's a crowd-pleaser when spectators hear even just a few phrases in their own tongue when the winners/runners-up make speeches at presentation ceremonies.
Andy has had so much stick for being a Scot which seems to upset the tradition of middle class England but he has to be grateful that he is not Welsh !! Just imagine w00t
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #127 on: April 23, 2012, 11:19 AM »

:w00t:Andy has had so much stick for being a Scot which seems to upset the tradition of middle class England but he has to be grateful that he is not Welsh !! Just imagine w00t
Thinking of changing my avatar...have v. nice pic of Leigh Halfpenny  Whistle
IP Logged
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #128 on: April 23, 2012, 01:03 PM »

Thinking of changing my avatar...have v. nice pic of Leigh Halfpenny  Whistle
Yes we have very 'lovely' Rugby lads and I am 'lovely' Welsh rugby and tennis woman fan wub but can you imagine the stick any tennis wonder would have from the English press who can barely mention Wales in there write ups of any sport in their columns and then they are Brits of course. I remember Andy taking part in our local Langland Bay tennis tournament as a youngster and winning. His mother has not forgotten and was here recently to open our tennis centre again after being axed by the council. Local people banded together to finance and run it as a private business. That's what our council thinks tennis is worth to us as tax payers.
[ Last edit by AFT April 23, 2012, 01:12 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Toothless Murray bunted out « Reply #129 on: April 23, 2012, 03:57 PM »

AFT: Power to the people  yay
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »