Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Tough Draw for Murray in Miami 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Reply
Author

Tough Draw for Murray in Miami

(Read 3416 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Tough Draw for Murray in Miami « Reply #60 on: March 25, 2012, 04:53 PM »

According to Neil Harman, Raonic has withdrawn - Andy through to the fourth round.
IP Logged
Psmannie

Re: Tough Draw for Murray in Miami « Reply #61 on: March 25, 2012, 05:15 PM »

So a walk over,  actually sorry not to see him play, but at least he's through to the next round.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Tough Draw for Murray in Miami « Reply #62 on: March 25, 2012, 05:25 PM »

Glad he's through but would have liked to have seen how Andy coped with Milos - as long as he won of course!
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Tough Draw for Murray in Miami « Reply #63 on: March 25, 2012, 05:52 PM »

Dinnae fash yersel' wumman!   Andy's played injured opponents before and never let that fact trouble him.  He'll be under no illusions anyway about Raonic and knows that, ankle injury or not, he's going to be a tough opponent.
Scots spelling eh = pretty awful! Disappointed about the match - waslooking forward to it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tough Draw for Murray in Miami « Reply #64 on: March 25, 2012, 06:24 PM »

Scots spelling eh = pretty awful! Disappointed about the match - waslooking forward to it.
Sorry - just sort of came out - was just telling Chris not to get herself into a state of anxiety ... NOT, I may add, that we all speak to each other like that as a matter of course! lol

Glorious weather here.  70F is almost heatwave in Edinburgh!

Glad he's through but would have liked to have seen how Andy coped with Milos - as long as he won of course!
Yes part of me is disappointed but the other part is quite relieved.  I'm sure Andy's experience would have seen him through in the end but I think I'd prefer to see a match-up with Raonic at a time when Andy has had a few more matches under his belt.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Tough Draw for Murray in Miami « Reply #65 on: March 25, 2012, 07:57 PM »

Sorry Rainoc is out I would have liked to see him play Andy. Also Berdych  had been beaten too although Andy beat him last time he played he is always a tough opponent.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Tough Draw for Murray in Miami « Reply #66 on: March 25, 2012, 08:37 PM »

Interesting how this 'difficult' draw has opened up for Andy.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Tough Draw for Murray in Miami « Reply #67 on: March 25, 2012, 09:19 PM »

Just what I was thinking Alis but there have been times when draws have opened up that Andy has come a cropper so am hoping this isn't one of them.  Btw does he get the points even though it was a w/o?  Presumably yes?
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Tough Draw for Murray in Miami « Reply #68 on: March 25, 2012, 09:21 PM »

^The female equivalent of Victor Meldrew.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Tough Draw for Murray in Miami « Reply #69 on: March 25, 2012, 09:22 PM »

^The female equivalent of Victor Meldrew.
just being cautious and giving you the opportunity to be rude Robbie w00t
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Tough Draw for Murray in Miami « Reply #70 on: March 25, 2012, 09:24 PM »

Moi Shrug
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tough Draw for Murray in Miami « Reply #71 on: March 26, 2012, 12:40 AM »

Just what I was thinking Alis but there have been times when draws have opened up that Andy has come a cropper so am hoping this isn't one of them.  Btw does he get the points even though it was a w/o?  Presumably yes?
I too get nervous when draws open up for Andy because of what has happened in the past.  Some might call it luck, but this kind of luck doesn't seem to do him any favours.  He's only played two matches since Dubai and what he needs now is hard match practice - something he would certainly have got from Raonic.  As for Simon? - I understand (although can't find confirmation of it) that he has a back injury ...

Not sure about the points.  As I understand it, a player who gets a w/o cannot be said to have "won" the match, although even if only one game has been played and his opponent retires due to injury, then that is regarded as a win and he will get the appropriate points - but I don't see how a player can be deprived of points for something over which he has no control, so Shrug

However, according to Sky, Andy will have collected $20,000 (roughly £12,600) for an afternoon's "work" - this based on the fact that he actually turned up for the match.  Apparently players are obliged to do this even although they know they won't be playing.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Tough Draw for Murray in Miami « Reply #72 on: March 26, 2012, 12:50 PM »

Yes Aileen Andy (earned) his money without playing a stroke. Not his fault though but you can understand the lower ranks who earn a lot less getting upset about the amount of money the top seeds make. I hope the negotiations with the people who run the slams comes to an amicable decision as the player have said they might boycott the French Open.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Tough Draw for Murray in Miami « Reply #73 on: March 26, 2012, 01:19 PM »

Presumably the points won't be in question as long as he wins his next match.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tough Draw for Murray in Miami « Reply #74 on: March 26, 2012, 03:28 PM »

Yes Aileen Andy (earned) his money without playing a stroke. Not his fault though but you can understand the lower ranks who earn a lot less getting upset about the amount of money the top seeds make. I hope the negotiations with the people who run the slams comes to an amicable decision as the player have said they might boycott the French Open.
I thought it was the AO they threatened to boycott, but didn't because they finally decided it would be unfair on the tournament organisers? - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tennis/australian-open-2012/interviews/Players-supported-Australian-Open-boycott-Stakhovsky/articleshow/11509932.cms

I can't find any update on this, but I suppose that, like the Tour scheduling issue, it'll rumble on indefinitely.  Fortunately they do have the support of the top players, which shouldn't be surprising since all of them were lower-ranked players themselves at one time.  Anyway I don't begrudge Andy his money given the amount of hard work he puts in.  I'm sure he was as disappointed as everyone else, including Raonic, that the match was called off.  Hopefully they'll have a match-up again soon.

EDIT:Since posting this, I've seen your comment on the News Articles thread.  However, it would cost £2 to get access to The Times online.

Presumably the points won't be in question as long as he wins his next match.
I suppose that might be the case, but I really cannot find any clarification on this.
[ Last edit by Aileen March 26, 2012, 03:43 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »