Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Tricky draw for Murray at US Open 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12 Go Down Reply
Author

Tricky draw for Murray at US Open

(Read 2642 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « on: August 22, 2013, 06:33 PM »

If Andy Murray is to claim his third grand slam title he's going to have to do it the hard way. The reigning championg could be set for an epic rematch with world number one Novak Djokovic - but this time it would be just to make the final, with the top two in the world up to a week ago having been drawn in the same half of the draw for the first grand slam since the 2012 Australian Open.

But first he could well have to get past another familiar face - that of new world number five Tomas Berdych, who defeated Murray in straight sets just one week ago in Cincinnati. The Scot will potentially have to beat last year's semi-final and final victims just to make the final this year, where the in-form Rafael Nadal probably awaits. The Spaniard has managed to avoid all of the top six apart from compatriot David Ferrer - who he holds a 20-4 head-to-head against.

Thankfully for the Brit the opening rounds look a lot more straightforward. Murray will open against the veteran Frenchman Michael Llodra, before potential matches with Victor Hanescu, Juan Monaco and Nicolas Almagro. But, assuming he doesn't take an early shock exit, the Wimbledon champion will definitely need to find his A game in the latter stages if he is to retain his US Open crown.

Murray's probable route to the title:

R1: Michael Llodra
R2: Victor Hanescu / Leonardo Mayer
R3: Juan Monaco / Martin Klizan / Florian Mayer
R4: Nicolas Almagro / Andreas Seppi / Denis Istomin
QF: Tomas Berdych / Stanislas Wawrinka / Kevin Anderson
SF: Novak Djokovic / Juan Martin Del Potro
F: Rafael Nadal

* 7977618355_d7dc3c660f_z.jpg (147.78 KB. 640x427 - viewed 13269 times.)

[ Last edit by TheMadHatter August 23, 2013, 07:16 AM ] IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 06:48 PM »

I love his draw.    He could have got a lot worse. Have you seen Nole's draw.   Now that's tough.     I don't think Andy will have any problems up until the QFs
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 06:49 PM »

Thanks for getting that news item up quickly Luke - such a relief not to have to read the title of the previous item anymore every time I log on!  The SF was bound to be a challenge either way so it's the QFs where perhaps Andy has been unlucky (and I agree a decent draw up till then).  But he has proved he can beat Berdych here so I'm sure he can do so again (assuming they both get that far).  And I bet Nole's fans are groaning when they see he drew Andy in SFs.  Can't wait for it all to get going now.  cmon yeah cmon yeah cmon yeah
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 06:50 PM »

Realistically he'll have to beat Berdych-Djokovic-Nadal to win the title. If he managed to beat the first two, I don't even know if he'd have enough left in the tank to beat Nadal, especially after Murray's match with Djokovic last year. It's a tough ask.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 07:05 PM »

Realistically he'll have to beat Berdych-Djokovic-Nadal to win the title. If he managed to beat the first two, I don't even know if he'd have enough left in the tank to beat Nadal, especially after Murray's match with Djokovic last year. It's a tough ask.
So Nadal is already through to the final......that was quick.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 07:46 PM »

Andy has negotiated tougher draws to get to GS finals. I expect Andy to play Nole in the SF. Roger to beat Rafa in the QF.

Would love to see Andy v Roger in the final.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 07:50 PM »

I love his draw.    He could have got a lot worse. Have you seen Nole's draw.   Now that's tough.     I don't think Andy will have any problems up until the QFs
Agreed, and by time we get to the QF's anything could happen.  One things for sure - the Top 8 seeds never all reach the Qtrs so the draw could open up e.g. Berdych and Djoker 'disappear'.

Also, by the time Andy reaches the QF's he'll be well into the tournament and building his form.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 07:50 PM »

Aren't we underestimating Stan the Man.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 08:06 PM »

Could be a whole lot worse. Have my doubts that on current form Berdych will be that much of a threat or even get to the QF. Federer won't be reaching the final that's for sure.  He has avoided Janowicz or Raonic. I think he can handle Berdych over B of 5. On current form will Djokovic get that far?

Am I the only one who thinks that given this time last year Murray was still in a state of shock after the Wimbledon loss, and the high of the Olympics, and was still slam less.  The fact he then went on to take the US Open with a display of raw courage, and followed it up with reaching the AO final - ( if it hadn't been the psychological and physical exhaustion of having to get over the hurdle of beating Fed in a slam for the first time, he might well have pulled off the AO as well). This year he has also been dealing with all of the emotion relating to Ross H, not mention his back problem, but still managed to beat Djokovic in straight sets,  plus vanquishing history, to take the holy grail of  Wimbledon. If that's all we get from him this year, so be it.  I think we will see a whole new Murray in 2014.

I hope he gets to the Semi at least. Any more than that is a bonus as far as I am concerned. If he ends up in the final and is trounced by Kneedal and his associated pharmacopia, then that will only serve to trigger another debate.

As far as I am concerned Murray is a gold medalist and two times GS winner. Anything else is a bonus, given the quality of the opposition and the decidedly lax attitude of the ITF towards doping.

Others might argue that he hasn't reached his full potential, if he doesn't reach No 1, and win another load of slams - perhaps. I can only speak for myself.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 08:08 PM »

I don't think assumptions can be made about any draw, particularly if Wimbledon is anything to go by, but Andy's draw seems reasonable enough to me up to the QF, where I think I'd be more worried about Wawrinka than Berdych should Andy or either of them get there.

I'm no tennis expert, but this is the way I see things -

Andy didn't exactly shine in Montreal and Cincinnati (yes I know what happened last year, but last year was last year), but he usually does pick himself up for Slams so let's hope he's 'peaking' here.  Fortunately on paper at least he should be able to ease himself fairly comfortably into the tournament.  With two Slams under his belt though his confidence should be high, but again he's in uncharted territory, having never defended a Slam before.  How far that might affect him even he doesn't know, although fortunately Lendl will be able to give him some guidance on the psychological level.

Djokovic seems to me to be wobbling a bit this year, and the loss of two consecutive Slams won't have helped his confidence.  Whatever, he isn't quite the player he was in 2011.

As far as Nadal goes, whilst his draw seems fairly straightforward, how far can he keep his 'phenomenal' level up?  Also hard courts are harsh on the body, so if his knees are indeed problematic this could be a factor here. 

Andy isn't playing him, but just how Federer will fare remains to be seen.  He's flopped spectacularly recently, yet there are those who claim he can still win another Slam.  I doubt he'll win here but I still wouldn't under-estimate him.

[ Last edit by Aileen August 22, 2013, 08:14 PM ] IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 08:36 PM »

But who is to say Berdych Djoko   Will get that far , Evan Nadal, slams always throw up shocks, still think Andy is ready for the challenge , just my opinion .
[ Last edit by deb August 22, 2013, 09:01 PM ] IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 08:40 PM »

Andy has negotiated tougher draws to get to GS finals. I expect Andy to play Nole in the SF. Roger to beat Rafa in the QF.

Would love to see Andy v Roger in the final.
  roflmao your so funny.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 08:41 PM »

Could be a whole lot worse. Have my doubts that on current form Berdych will be that much of a threat or even get to the QF. Federer won't be reaching the final that's for sure.  He has avoided Janowicz or Raonic. I think he can handle Berdych over B of 5. On current form will Djokovic get that far?

Am I the only one who thinks that given this time last year Murray was still in a state of shock after the Wimbledon loss, and the high of the Olympics, and was still slam less.  The fact he then went on to take the US Open with a display of raw courage, and followed it up with reaching the AO final - ( if it hadn't been the psychological and physical exhaustion of having to get over the hurdle of beating Fed in a slam for the first time, he might well have pulled off the AO as well). This year he has also been dealing with all of the emotion relating to Ross H, not mention his back problem, but still managed to beat Djokovic in straight sets,  plus vanquishing history, to take the holy grail of  Wimbledon. If that's all we get from him this year, so be it.  I think we will see a whole new Murray in 2014.

I hope he gets to the Semi at least. Any more than that is a bonus as far as I am concerned. If he ends up in the final and is trounced by Kneedal and his associated pharmacopia, then that will only serve to trigger another debate.

As far as I am concerned Murray is a gold medalist and two times GS winner. Anything else is a bonus, given the quality of the opposition and the decidedly lax attitude of the ITF towards doping.

Others might argue that he hasn't reached his full potential, if he doesn't reach No 1, and win another load of slams - perhaps. I can only speak for myself.
   clap you speak for me to , in a nutshell   hug
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 09:58 PM »

I couldn't agree more. However, they all have their own mountains to climb let's not forget upsets can and do happen to them all. I hope not to our Andy though. He's used up his quota. w00t

Let the tournament begin! racquet
IP Logged
James
Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 10:00 PM »

So it looks like Nadal has already made the final - looking at how well Federer played against him in Cincinnati, I reckon it could be either of them in the final! However I agree with the majority, Murray's first four opponents shouldn't give him many problems, I think all of the players in his section have a combined 4 wins against Murray, so on paper he should breeze through to at least the quarterfinals. Berdych is a tricky opponent, but in a best of 5 match I think Murray has the edge - he's always had trouble with Berdych in 3 set matches, but at the slams Murray had become probably the most consistent guy out there, last time he failed to make the final was last year at the French Open. In the semis Djokovic will be lookin for revenge for his loss at Wimbledon, as well as for last years final, so that one will be really close to call. I'll predict a Murray-Nadal final, after which I think it's anyone's guess! However I think if anyone other than Nadal reaches the final, I don't see them beating Murray.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »