Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Tricky draw for Murray at US Open 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 12 Go Down Reply
Author

Tricky draw for Murray at US Open

(Read 2687 times)
Johnny Handsome
Futures Level

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #30 on: August 24, 2013, 02:57 PM »

Darren Cahill tipping Murray for once
http://espn.go.com/sports/tennis/picks
IP Logged
Johnny Handsome
Futures Level

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #31 on: August 24, 2013, 03:01 PM »

Nadal - Murray would be an absolute dream final.  pray
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 03:11 PM »

yes I see most of them have tipped Nadal, but Andy might beg to differ!  cmon yeah
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 03:39 PM »

If I remember correctly from last year, Andy only got about one vote and looked what happened.
I have a strong feeling that Nadal won't be in the Final, nor will Federer despite what his fans think.
So I'm certainly behind Andy, and I have a feeling that he will come out more relaxed and once he has got through a few matches will be raising his game and playing some of his best tennis. It must have been really hard work playing with a baboon on your back yuk
And now that great weight has been lifted he can play with greater freedom and enjoy his tennis. yay
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #34 on: August 24, 2013, 04:16 PM »

The pic they use of Nadal is dreadful. If I was him I would now pull out, just on principle Smile.

The thing is, none of them know any more than any of us. They are probably reaching their conclusions based on Nadal winning Montreal and Cincy, which is fine, but it overlooks Andy's great record in the majors over the last year. Some of them might turn round and say that Andy's done that while Nadal has been out, but that would be patronising in the extreme. When since has beating Djokovic in majors been easy? Andy has now done it twice. Darren Cahill obviously knows his stuff!

I openly admit I'll be glad when Andy has a match or two out of the way. If he gets through those first few rounds relatively unscathed he has as much chance as anyone else, and more than most. Even if he does hit the odd bump in the road we know now Andy can fight and come through. He's done it before, he can do it again.

To my mind once Andy gets going, gets rid of any nerves, there is a chance we could start seeing the best of him at this USO. As Michelle said, and put it brilliantly, he's had to play under such pressure, such weight of expectation. Now he's dealt with that and 'just' has the pressure from within to handle, and he's shown that he can do that.

I know some within tennis will suggest it will now come down to how much he wants it, now he has acheived winning his first major and winning Wimbledon, and whether he is content or not to settle for that. Seriously though, does Andy look like the type to settle for anything? If he was he would have accepted that it was his lot in life to never win majors.

The way I see it is quite simple. Let people regard Nadal as the favourite. He can have the pressure of that. That will free Andy up to play his tennis in peace.

IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #35 on: August 24, 2013, 06:45 PM »

The pic they use of Nadal is dreadful. If I was him I would now pull out, just on principle Smile.

The thing is, none of them know any more than any of us. They are probably reaching their conclusions based on Nadal winning Montreal and Cincy, which is fine, but it overlooks Andy's great record in the majors over the last year.

They are basing their conclusions on Nadal being the best player of the year so far by a mile! Lets forget he dominated the clay court season as usual  he's also won every hard court match he's played this year including 3 Masters. So those people who have a "feeling" Nadal won't reach the final are just clutching at straws. Face facts, Nadal is a strong favourite for this tournament, especially so since he has a straightforward route to the final.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #36 on: August 24, 2013, 06:55 PM »

They are basing their conclusions on Nadal being the best player of the year so far by a mile! Lets forget he dominated the clay court season as usual  he's also won every hard court match he's played this year including 3 Masters. So those people who have a "feeling" Nadal won't reach the final are just clutching at straws. Face facts, Nadal is a strong favourite for this tournament, especially so since he has a straightforward route to the final.
We are basing it on facts, he has yet to play for 2 weeks and in possible 5 setters, and even when he was playing extremely well in the past he has only won the USA Open once. When he won then he didn't have to play the Andy of now or Novak as he is. So we will have to see whose feelings are right. I may add Big Head, oh sorry Big Nose we are certainly not clutching at straws.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #37 on: August 24, 2013, 07:14 PM »

Everyone is thinking Rafa would have lost too much ground to compete with Andy and Joker at the peak of their careers. So its a bit of a reality check to see Rafa back after a year out and winning nearly everything. Be honest. It does hurt!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #38 on: August 24, 2013, 07:17 PM »

and the only one doing so I see.  Still I prefer it if Andy is not the hot favourite and I'm sure it doesn't bother him a jot that he's not being tipped.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #39 on: August 25, 2013, 06:56 AM »

Everyone is thinking Rafa would have lost too much ground to compete with Andy and Joker at the peak of their careers. So its a bit of a reality check to see Rafa back after a year out and winning nearly everything. Be honest. It does hurt!
......bit of an 'unreality' check more like and as for 'hurting', he hasn't played Andy yet!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #40 on: August 25, 2013, 07:03 AM »

Apparently Llendl said to a young Pete Sampras, something like, "Only slams matter. I wish I'd realised that earlier."
Very interesting.... Think
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #41 on: August 25, 2013, 07:09 AM »

I, for one, am not' counting my chickens' as Andy has done this sort of thing before i.e done badly at the run-ups to slams and then been a different animal when it comes to 5 setters and as has been said Nadal has not met the new Andy yet.  They have had so many long hard, close matches before.  Andy is mentally in a much better place than in any of those matches.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #42 on: August 25, 2013, 07:17 AM »

I think that people might sometimes forget that when Murray is focussing all of his energies on the slams often to the exclusion of lesser tournaments and his ranking, that throughout his career and probably the focus of his dreams as a young boy clobbering tennis balls in the rain at Dunblane, was to win one. Initially anyone, rapidly followed by the Holy Grail of Wimbledon. Less than a year ago he had achieved neither of those goals. That's tve sole reason Lendl was brought on board. Getting slams is still very new to him. He hasn't lost the taste yet. He had been on the tour a long time. Wining 250's, 500's or Masters ceased to be a novelty long ago. It must sometimes be hard to keep motivated. Like any of us we can get bored of the daily grind sometimes. He no longer needs the money. If chasing slams is what keeps him motivated and on the tour - all the better for us, we get to watch him for longer.  His career choices are totally up to him. Some if us should be a little less quick to condemn.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #43 on: August 25, 2013, 01:30 PM »

good point Masaka.  I sometimes wonder how they maintain their motivation day in day out when they are on court such a high proportion of the year.  And I'm not sure that Andy has necessarily lost all interest in winning masters - witness Miami. But when you have two masters, which operate effectively as warm up tournaments to a slam because they are so close to it, then it's hardly surprising that it's the slam rather than the masters, which is uppermost in his mind.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Tricky draw for Murray at US Open « Reply #44 on: August 25, 2013, 05:12 PM »

Apparently Llendl said to a young Pete Sampras, something like, "Only slams matter. I wish I'd realised that earlier."
Very interesting.... Think

I think there is a lot of truth in that. I mean, when you think about the players, any of them, you don't automatically think of whether or not they've been world no.1 - unless they've got there without winning any slams, in which case it seems to become controversial. You also don't think of how many Masters they've won, or other titles for that matter. Most people remember players for the number of slams they win.

From the players point of view I think the slams must be the place where they want to be seen to do well the most. It's where they all want to play their best and show what they can do.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 12 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »