Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat

(Read 5376 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « on: April 01, 2012, 08:44 PM »

The mercury in Miami touched 30°C, but Murray's underused game looked undercooked today against Novak Djokovic. The Scot went down 6-1 7-6 in a patchy display against a relentless world number one.

Tennis observers talk endlessly about match sharpness. And, with Murray gatecrashing the Sony Ericsson Open on the back of a bye and two walkovers, rarely has it been demonstrated so starkly.

In a match of two halves played in dripping humidity, the two old friends opened proceedings with a heavy dose of respectful probing. Every cross-court drive from Murray was answered with a down-the-line Exocet from the Serb; drop shots were measured rather than inspired.

It was an opening that reflected the men's careers, which once ran along parallel lines. Then, in game four, Djokovic broke free from his moorings, just as he had done last year, leaving Murray to run himself ragged on the baseline and wonder why he didn't ditch the gluten a year earlier.

Read more (301 words)
But it was Murray who first upped the ante, ramping up some explosive, net-strafing groundshots at 1-2. The effect was to tug the tiger's tail, with Djokovic roaring back with incredible footspeed and pounding backcourt play to take the first break.

From there, the Serb put pedal to metal, looking by far the more solid and taking around half the time of the British number one over his service games.

The human backboard wrapped up the first set in short time, resembling every inch the battle-hardened warrior from the Crandon Park frontline. Despite extended practice time, Murray was merely the bleary-eyed Virtua Tennis 3 refugee from the players' lounge.

As the first set drew to its inevitable conclusion, it seemed that the Scot's body was on duty, whilst his mind was hunting designer gear down at the Bel Harbour Mall.

Having used set one to get his game into shape, with the usual suspects – body language, second serve and forehand – missing in action, Murray perked up for set two.

On display were more creativity, a welter of wide forehand drives, resolute defence and a heavier serve from the world number four. This bout of creativity wrought deadlock from the two men, who propelled themselves through pulsating exchanges to the fulcrum of a tiebreak.

But from here, Murray was always in catch-up mode, having opened with consecutive backhands into the net. Djokovic was merciless with his width, depth and power and, while the Scot clawed back two points from 5-2, the strength of the Serb's serving saw him through.

Despite reports to the contrary, Murray must hope for a packed schedule as the tour moves onto the clay. Meanwhile, Djokovic simply remains the master, with his peers hunting down slingshots hurled pitilessly at a baseline that recedes further with each passing event.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy April 01, 2012, 09:26 PM ] IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 08:58 PM »

commiserations to murray - just didn't really get his best going until the second set, and nole played bigger points just a little bit better today. lovely to see them both on the podium and hope murray climbs up so these two rule tennis!! come on murray keep up the great work!! that's two finals and a semifinal already at big events.  cmon yeah
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 08:59 PM »

The mercury in Miami touched 30°C, but Murray's underused game looked undercooked today against Novak Djokovic. The Scot went down 6-1 7-6 in a patchy display against a relentless world number one.

[More to follow]

It was really close in the second set. if he hadn't done that double fault I reckon he might have won the second set and gone on to win. Just a couple of points in it really - wish he had more killer instinct.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 09:05 PM »

Started poor, lack of match play? Maybe. Still 600 points better than last year. Anyone know what the Fed looses or gains from Miami. 

BTW did anyone else notice how Novak forgot about the match he played against Andy in Dubai - oh yes it was the one he lost maybe thats why lol.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 09:08 PM »

Andy does not seem to have a 'killer instinct'.. no matter how he tries.. and no matter who he brngs into his 'camp.'
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 09:20 PM »

Andy does not seem to have a 'killer instinct'.. no matter how he tries.. and no matter who he brngs into his 'camp.'

That's very harsh. You don't get to no.4 in the world lacking that attribute. Clearly the lack of matches and worked against Andy but I get the feeling Andy and Ivan will do their upmost to ensure that they will work their damnedest to better the 2011 clay court result.

Today was a bad day in the office. It happens.

1 GS SF and 2 finals so far is not bad going so far. The is plenty of tennis left to play.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 09:31 PM »

A lucky day for Djoker as Andy was not 100%.  There was some great playing, just a few too may misses. I don't think Andy's going to be devastated over this at all.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 09:41 PM »

Disapppointed but not surprised.  Lack of matches both at IW and here showed.  Really weird tournament though for any player to have two w/os, and also Djokovic's last three matches followed exactly the same pattern, which suggested a dip in his form.  Just a pity Andy couldn't have taken advantage of it.

But to those who wish to slate Andy - just exactly where was he this time in 2010/2011?  Nowhere!  Now he's reached two finals since the AO.  I'm just grateful that we aren't watching him drag himself out of yet another slump and, with Lendl as his coach, I look forward to what I hope will be a fruitful clay-court season and beyond.
IP Logged
ljs
Futures Level

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 09:48 PM »

me too Aileen , disappointed but not surprised really.

Andy looked like he had just got out of bed in that 1st set , and the 2nd , well Novak is #1 for a reason , just too good at times.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 09:50 PM »

But to those who wish to slate Andy - just exactly where was he this time in 2010/2011?  Nowhere!  Now he's reached two finals since the AO.  I'm just grateful that we aren't watching him drag himself out of yet another slump and, with Lendl as his coach, I look forward to what I hope will be a fruitful clay-court season and beyond.

Good point Aileen - this time last year was such a bad time for Andy fans. He looked so disinterested that it was becoming hard to imagine him even winning matches yet alone titles. This year is so different - he's fighting in matches. A year ago he would never have won the Tipsarevic match for example. And today he fought hard in the second set and came close to winning it.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 09:51 PM »

V much agree Aileen.  I did think it put him at a real disadvantage having had so little match play and we know Andy often takes time to work his way into a tournament.  What was disappointing though was that he seemed to revert to his old ways for much of the time - standing way behind the baseline and coming into the net only 6X.  No doubt Mr L will point that out to him.  What was good was that he really fought that 2nd set and I do think had he won it, it could have turned the match around.  Nole acknowledged as much.
And yes Tessie I did notice that Nole conveniently forgot the Dubai match.  He also said that Andy had been at the top of the game for a couple of years whereas it's more like 3-4 years.
Anyway I hope Andy won't lose too much sleep over this one.  Onwards and upwards into the clay court season.  And as Aileen pointed out we'd have given our eye teeth for him to be in this situation ie in a final this time last couple of years.
So inevitably disappointed as I think he could have beaten Nole tonight had he been playing closer to his best.  The fact he pushed him so close in the 2nd set when he wasn't is cause for hope next time.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 09:53 PM »

I think if Lendl had his way, he would have advised Andy to skip IW & Miami and better focus his time on the clay season. I think our boy will do well in the run up to RG and peaking for Wimbledon. If Andy can bag at least 1 of the 3 remaining slams then losing Masters 1000 will be a distant memory. In the a way, losing to Novak today hands the pressure right back on the Serb - he's got a massive target on his back now with Madrid and Rome to defend.
IP Logged
jbrown

2nd Serves: Why Andy Lost « Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 09:55 PM »

Andy -

For the love of God, I wanted you to take that Miami title and am squarely on your side of the court.  With all due respect, you've got more variety to your game than Novak.

Second serves killed you!

While you served, second serves were primarily delivered straight into Novak's strike zone.  This is in contrast to your first serve, which was most effective when pulling him wide to the backhand side.  The second serve though was right toward his body, but take a look at Novak's stance - it is extremely wide.  His stance was so wide, and low, against you that had you brought him off balance then you would have taken control over more points from your second serve.

When you returned second serves, most were safe and toward the middle of the court.  Positioning on second serves was superb with your toes right on the baseline and moving inside the court to take the ball which you did consistently, but much too safely.  There were a few occasions where you moved in and hammered the ball with poor result, but forget those, the majority of return of second serves were too safe and into the middle of the court.  Changing tactics could have been move effective where: 1) serve-return-and volley, or 2) return some more of those serves where the sun doesn't shine.

You played better than him the second set, but its the second serves which made the difference.

You will get him next time.

jbrown

PS  If you don't believe me, then take a look at the tape for yourself, in fact you rattled his cage and brought out enough emotion from him in the second set to match yours!
[ Last edit by jbrown April 01, 2012, 09:59 PM ] IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 09:56 PM »

No Andy now till 16th April but at least I have some Tennis next weekend to look forward too. Come on GB
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 09:58 PM »

V much agree Aileen.  I did think it put him at a real disadvantage having had so little match play and we know Andy often takes time to work his way into a tournament.  What was disappointing though was that he seemed to revert to his old ways for much of the time - standing way behind the baseline and coming into the net only 6X.  No doubt Mr L will point that out to him.  What was good was that he really fought that 2nd set and I do think had he won it, it could have turned the match around.  Nole acknowledged as much.
And yes Tessie I did notice that Nole conveniently forgot the Dubai match.  He also said that Andy had been at the top of the game for a couple of years whereas it's more like 3-4 years.
Anyway I hope Andy won't lose too much sleep over this one.  Onwards and upwards into the clay court season.  And as Aileen pointed out we'd have given our eye teeth for him to be in this situation ie in a final this time last couple of years.
So inevitably disappointed as I think he could have beaten Nole tonight had he been playing closer to his best.  The fact he pushed him so close in the 2nd set when he wasn't is cause for hope next time.
I don't think Andy will be losing sleep over this.  In his pre-match interview he didn't sound all that confident about his chances of winning, particularly as his last match was four days ago - a long time for any player.  I'm sure he felt very disappointed but at least it didn't show at the presentation ceremony.  Lendl apparently told him recently he should stop going over and over his lost matches in his mind, so I'm sure the first sign of him doing this here will be quickly nipped in the bud!
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »