Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat

(Read 5365 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 10:01 PM »

I think if Lendl had his way, he would have advised Andy to skip IW & Miami and better focus his time on the clay season. I think our boy will do well in the run up to RG and peaking for Wimbledon. If Andy can bag at least 1 of the 3 remaining slams then losing Masters 1000 will be a distant memory. In the a way, losing to Novak today hands the pressure right back on the Serb - he's got a massive target on his back now with Madrid and Rome to defend.
I don't think you're allowed to skip masters tournos are you unless you've already played a certain number?  Anyway it would look like running away after last year.  Surely good that he ended the jinx by at least getting to final in Miami [albeit with the walkovers].
And as jbrown - welcome btw - demonstrates, plenty for Mr L to work on after that game.  But what happened to the new tactics he was talking about before?  

Oh and meant to say good match report Nigel.  Nice to have a real report for once  this tourno w00t
[ Last edit by Ruthie April 01, 2012, 10:04 PM ] IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 10:03 PM »

Ah well, the expected outcome for most.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 10:08 PM »

Started poor, lack of match play? Maybe. Still 600 points better than last year. Anyone know what the Fed looses or gains from Miami. 

BTW did anyone else notice how Novak forgot about the match he played against Andy in Dubai - oh yes it was the one he lost maybe thats why lol.

I think.....Djoko will stay the same at 12,670, Nadal drops a few to 9,935, Fed drops 315 to 9,035, and Andy gains 590 to 8,040

Fed isn't playing MC, so will lose 180, Nadal has 1,000 to defend, Andy 360 (though I've heard he's skipping the clay court season!), and Djoko none - so he can extend his lead even further.

I didn't hear the speeches - what did Djoko not say about Dubai?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 10:13 PM »

Elena Djoko was talking about recent past matches between him and Andy and talked as if AO was the last one they played!
Just listened to Andy's BBC interview where he says he was most disappointed with how he returned.  He's starting his clay court practice on wednesday [or perhaps that would be grass court Nigel?!]
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 10:14 PM »

Andy -

For the love of God, I wanted you to take that Miami title and am squarely on your side of the court.  With all due respect, you've got more variety to your game than Novak.
Second serves killed you!

While you served, second serves were primarily delivered straight into Novak's strike zone.  This is in contrast to your first serve, which was most effective when pulling him wide to the backhand side.  The second serve though was right toward his body, but take a look at Novak's stance - it is extremely wide.  His stance was so wide, and low, against you that had you brought him off balance then you would have taken control over more points from your second serve.
welcome to MW jbrown, albeit on a bit of a sad evening. Many truths to be found in you posting.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 10:14 PM »

That's very harsh. You don't get to no.4 in the world lacking that attribute. Clearly the lack of matches and worked against Andy but I get the feeling Andy and Ivan will do their upmost to ensure that they will work their damnedest to better the 2011 clay court result.

Today was a bad day in the office. It happens.

1 GS SF and 2 finals so far is not bad going so far. The is plenty of tennis left to play.
I honestly don't mean to be harsh sync123....
I love Andy.. I want him to win that Slam so bad I can taste it....but today was a(nother) crappy match.  He had so many opportunities, and he knew it. 
This was an opportunity for him to lay down the gauntlet.
I know he is trying his hardest.  We all know it.. we are all with him every step on his journey.
So what's the missing ingredient?
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 10:14 PM »

Elena Djoko was talking about recent past matches between him and Andy and talked as if AO was the last one they played!
Just listened to Andy's BBC interview where he says he was most disappointed with how he returned.  He's starting his clay court practice on wednesday [or perhaps that would be grass court Nigel?!]
Thanks Ruthie
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 10:20 PM »

I concur with Andy about his return game.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 10:22 PM »

me too Aileen , disappointed but not surprised really.

Andy looked like he had just got out of bed in that 1st set , and the 2nd , well Novak is #1 for a reason , just too good at times.
Andy often says its his nerves that play up and make it so he can find his rhythm. Funny he cant find a way to calm the nerves. Plenty methods out there but I guess he's working on it.

By the way NIGEL.....
Thanks for the well worded report, in all its sadness. You did justice to both players. And thanks for the laughs this morning. thumb up
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 10:33 PM »

"For the love of God  .....etc, etc  .. You will get him next time."

Welcome jb - you made some good points in there.  I too, kept wishing a lot of those shots would have been harder for Djoker to reach. Not that there were not some excellent ones in the mix including returns.  However, I'm sure it's always harder than it looks & it looks very hard just getting those zingers returned at all.  As I'm sure you know though on his best days Andy is the best.  Still as I said, some good points.
IP Logged
jbrown

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 10:43 PM »

adb..OH -

No doubt, it is harder than it looks, a LOT harder.  By way of agreeing with you further, from my vantage point, the CBS broadcast only contained footage from the top of the stadium.  The occasional shots seen from The Tennis Channel earlier this week which were lower to the court and just over the players shoulders clearly demonstrated more curvature of the ball arc, in both vertical and horizontal travels, was not shown today.

But, I seek to point Andy towards an area where he can make a tactical improvement.  Returns off of second serves were directed toward the middle of the court and straight at Novak.  By not varying angle and body positioning permitted Novak to settle into rallies from the baseline which is his area of comfort.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 10:50 PM »

adb..OH -

No doubt, it is harder than it looks, a LOT harder.  By way of agreeing with you further, from my vantage point, the CBS broadcast only contained footage from the top of the stadium.  The occasional shots seen from The Tennis Channel earlier this week which were lower to the court and just over the players shoulders clearly demonstrated more curvature of the ball arc, in both vertical and horizontal travels, was not shown today.

But, I seek to point Andy towards an area where he can make a tactical improvement.  Returns off of second serves were directed toward the middle of the court and straight at Novak.  By not varying angle and body positioning permitted Novak to settle into rallies from the baseline which is his area of comfort.

It seems to me that Andy wins points from the Djoker when his creative game is working. For me, if they rally straight up and down the court, the Djoker will hit the last shot every time. It's when Murray's in the mood and can stretch the Djoker wide and open up the court that he makes major gains. He wasn't match-sharp enough for that today; he was far too restrained.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 11:05 PM »

Such a different match from the Dubai semi final between Andy and Nole ..I'm sorry but Andy didn't play that well through out the whole tournament of Miami.. he was a real fighter but his game was all over the place in some of his matches his serve was atrocious.  FH was awful.  too many UE's. Im really disappointed fan here... He didn't really give us anything to shout about apart from a couple of points.  He didn't know what to do out there  He was just hitting it back to Nole, going back to his old style of play It seems like ages since Andy last won something.  I miss that winning feeling ... so so much  I want that Tokyo and Asia Form back... where did that go?  When was the last time Andy won  a semi and final against the top 4 back to back..?
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #28 on: April 01, 2012, 11:13 PM »

Good report, Nigel and I concur with you and several other posts on this subject that Andy was match fit, but NOT match sharp.

Obviously, playing three matches out of five did not help Andy's cause and in particular receiving a walkover into the final was useless.

I also noted that Andy kept returning Djokovic's shots down the middle and not playing to the corners. Down the middle is Djokovic's cup of tea!

However, I agree that Andy will not lose sleep over this defeat. In his pre-match interview, he almost seemed to write it off.

PS. Caz, left shoulder salt thrown did not work. 
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #29 on: April 01, 2012, 11:29 PM »

Such a different match from the Dubai semi final between Andy and Nole ..I'm sorry but Andy didn't play that well through out the whole tournament of Miami.. he was a real fighter but his game was all over the place in some of his matches his serve was atrocious.  FH was awful.  too many UE's. Im really disappointed fan here... He didn't really give us anything to shout about apart from a couple of points.  He didn't know what to do out there  He was just hitting it back to Nole, going back to his old style of play It seems like ages since Andy last won something.  I miss that winning feeling ... so so much  I want that Tokyo and Asia Form back... where did that go?  When was the last time Andy won  a semi and final against the top 4 back to back..?
Who has won a semi and a final against the top 4 back to back recently? Djoko at the AO, but before that....?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »