Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat

(Read 5402 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #60 on: April 02, 2012, 12:43 PM »

Just read the interview and
1) Well Andy, wake up, that double fault cost you the tie break and
2) Why doesn't an interviewer ask him when he's going to fix that second serve?
It's losing him the big matches Frown
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #61 on: April 02, 2012, 01:19 PM »

Although disappointed at the result from the final, here are some of my thoughts (for what they are worth):-

1.   Andy definitely suffered from having an SF walk over
2.    First set he looked confused about how to play – he is in a transition period just now which hopefully within the next few months will have a positive outcome.
3.   After a heavy defeat in the first set, he at no point got down on himself or gave up – good positive signs – this may not have happened a few months ago.
4.   In each long rally he had the beating of Djoko, mainly due to Andy’s greater shot making, variety and skill.
5.   Andy’s fitness levels are better than Djoko’s
6.   This time last year all of us on MW were fearing the worst for Andy, he couldn’t win a match!!!  This year is in a good place - he got beat by the No. 1 player in the World and currently the most dominant tennis player on the planet.   His attitude is vastly improved, his on court demeanour has also vastly improved – good changes after such a short period of time.
7.   Real analysis will come after Andy and Mr L have had a longer period of time together – let’s see what Wimbledon and the Olympics bring.

I think the Clay Court season could ask a few questions of the top players – Is Nadal’s injury serious, Can Djoko keep going like last year, Can Federer still compete at a high level in the slams, will the Clay be where Andy makes his breakthrough????????????

So all in all, whilst last night was disappointing, there are many factors that contributed to the result, Andy has come straight out and admitted he did not play well and knows the things he needs to work on.  I personally would have given my right arm for this result in 2010 and 2011!!  So let’s not get too down about this, he got further than his seeding, last year he went out to a guy outwith the top 100…………

Am so glad that Andy has decided to not participate in the DC tie (even though I have tickets) I think he will reap far more from having a consolidated period of time with Mr L.

Can’t wait for April 16th and Monte Carlo.

One last thing, some of the journalists who berate Andy for losing to Djoko etc. should ask themselves, if we did not have Andy they would have no senior level British interest to report on – they should remember that and be grateful for what Andy brings to the world of tennis.

Onwards and upwards – the red dirt could bring good times for our boy…….

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #62 on: April 02, 2012, 01:58 PM »

Good posting!  Thanks for the reminder of the positives to be taken MM, set out so clearly.  I preach patience but sometimes find it difficult to practise it!

Btw who are the journalists who have berated Andy?  The only one I've read is Paul Newman in Independent who was very fair I thought and I quoted from him in an earlier post where he said Andy's attitude in the 2nd set was admirable.  Guardian just had a report put together from agencies, but not seen any others.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #63 on: April 02, 2012, 02:02 PM »

Good posting!  Thanks for the reminder of the positives to be taken MM, set out so clearly.  I preach patience but sometimes find it difficult to practise it!

Btw who are the journalists who have berated Andy?  The only one I've read is Paul Newman in Independent who was very fair I thought and I quoted from him in an earlier post where he said Andy's attitude in the 2nd set was admirable.  Guardian just had a report put together from agencies, but not seen any others.

Sorry was really referring in general as sometimes after a defeat the journos can be quite uncomprimsing !!!  Have no specific ones following last night but was speaking in general - perhaps a bit unfair given that some of them have erred on the positive note!!!!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #64 on: April 02, 2012, 02:07 PM »

I know MM but I do detect a rather greater appreciation of Andy in recent months.  Perhaps they don't want to attract the wrath of Mr L  Whistle
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #65 on: April 02, 2012, 02:14 PM »

I honestly don't mean to be harsh sync123....
I love Andy.. I want him to win that Slam so bad I can taste it....but today was a(nother) crappy match.  He had so many opportunities, and he knew it. 
This was an opportunity for him to lay down the gauntlet.
I know he is trying his hardest.  We all know it.. we are all with him every step on his journey.
So what's the missing ingredient?

The missing ingredient is confidence of course.
The more confident you are the more you will take your chances, go for it & Hey Presto the Killer Instinct rears its head.
In this occasion as Aileen and others have said he was simply undercooked. He only played 2 decent matches & one wobbly one in this tournament, its not a crime not to be as match ready as you need to be against the world number 1 in these circumstances.
But come clay season Andy will be ready and perhaps some of those near misses against Nadal and Novak should fall on his side this time.
One thing is clear enough even through defeat; Andy, when he plays well, has Novak's number and Djokovic, in the back of his mind, though he will never admit it knows it.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #66 on: April 02, 2012, 02:30 PM »

This article in the New York Times is pretty negative - makes some fair points but I also thought that Andy's body language and attitude was a lot better than it would have been last year. There were no tantrums, pulling at his clothing etc. - you could tell that he was trying to control himself. Again, as with his game, it's a work in progress.

Most of the journalists do seem to be fair about Andy's defeat though. All of the commentators bar Rusedski were saying before the match that having walkovers would be a disadvantage so I guess the result didn't surprise them.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #67 on: April 02, 2012, 02:42 PM »

Just read the interview and
1) Well Andy, wake up, that double fault cost you the tie break and
2) Why doesn't an interviewer ask him when he's going to fix that second serve?
It's losing him the big matches Frown

Its obvious Lendl has identified Murrays forehand as the most urgently necessary upgrade, and we have to say that it has been something of a revelation for the last few tournaments. Surely its time for the 2nd serve to get the same treatment or thereabouts?
Andy will be 25 this year, all of these problems should have been rectified already, its outrageous that his 2nd serve is still so troublesome, but im hopeful we are near seeing Andy getting to grips with his game. If Lendl is to be worth his money he'll make sure Andy is locked tight on the basics finally at least.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #68 on: April 02, 2012, 03:03 PM »

I know MM but I do detect a rather greater appreciation of Andy in recent months.  Perhaps they don't want to attract the wrath of Mr L  Whistle
  Yes, there's definitely a better attitude to Andy in the British press lately, a sure sign of behind-the-scenes influence at work. Perhaps he's got the nod from the Establishment at last in this Olympic year!! secret service agent
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #69 on: April 02, 2012, 04:29 PM »

Ah well... here's something to cheer us up.
Just forget the outcome and wallow in the sheer brilliance of this shot from our boy:
http://www.tennistv.com/video/clip/1959888

Sorry.. darnit this just takes you to the 100mph spoof.. but bottom right of page there is a video on Andy's "Hot Shot".. tried to link to this but won't let me.
[ Last edit by scotnadian April 02, 2012, 04:35 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #70 on: April 02, 2012, 05:26 PM »

Thanks scotn - nice to have a reminder of one of the flashes of brilliance from our Andy.  Easy to forget in the disappointment of the result and his not being able to bring his A game to the match.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #71 on: April 02, 2012, 06:02 PM »

I agree, Andy did not feel confident to use the variety of strokes that they have been pratiscing, it will take awhile but he has to be agressive not passive back to his old game -defense. He will know when to do this. I know by the end of the year he will better placed than the beginning of this.,
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #72 on: April 03, 2012, 09:47 AM »

Thanks scotn, loved Andy's hot shot!!!
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #73 on: April 03, 2012, 08:16 PM »

Andy did not return well also his 2nd serve was not good.  At the moment , I think we should be patient, Ivan is teaching him different tactis until he feels confident enough to use these he will continue to go back to his original game.  Coaching takes time, he has only been with lendl two months, but he has changed his temperment on the court and his guts.  just wait and be patient we all expect too much in a small spat of time.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Undercooked Murray mastered in Miami heat « Reply #74 on: April 03, 2012, 09:48 PM »

Despite the result, I was fairly happy with Andy's performance, especially in the second set. I thought he was pushing Djoko well throughout, and it was tough he didn't get a third set. Lets be frank, Djoko is a good match for Andy - I think more than ever now they're gonna be the top two over the next few seasons. Little tongue man
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »