Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Wimbledon draw kind to Murray 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Wimbledon draw kind to Murray

(Read 2174 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon draw kind to Murray « Reply #75 on: June 22, 2013, 12:36 PM »

Disagree actually. Andy out played him in the last set and took the wind out of his sails. Not the same thing.
Nole has won marathon semis and marathon finals.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Wimbledon draw kind to Murray « Reply #76 on: June 22, 2013, 12:51 PM »

Don't think Nole will necessarily coast here. Don't think hes played much in competition since FO SF, and he has some handy players to negotiate, although he surely will. All I'm saying is he ain't necessarily going to have a smooth run.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Wimbledon draw kind to Murray « Reply #77 on: June 22, 2013, 12:52 PM »

Don't think Nole will necessarily coast here. Don't think hes played much in competition since FO SF, and he has some handy players to negotiate, although he surely will. All I'm saying is he ain't necessarily going to have a smooth run.

No I don't think so either
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Wimbledon draw kind to Murray « Reply #78 on: June 22, 2013, 01:57 PM »

perfect draw for Andy, can you imagine the pressure if he had Novaks draw? Everyone placing him in the final. being overwhelming favorite is never good ask Nadal lol

good point !
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Wimbledon draw kind to Murray « Reply #79 on: June 22, 2013, 01:58 PM »

Just been talking to my brother. He doesn't think Federer is going to win Wimbledon, which seems fair enough. Then he ruined the effect completely by tipping Nadal. I'm considering putting him up for adoption. Anyone want him?  Whistle.

you could try auctioning him on Rafa's website?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon draw kind to Murray « Reply #80 on: June 22, 2013, 01:58 PM »

Disagree actually. Andy out played him in the last set and took the wind out of his sails. Not the same thing.
Nole has won marathon semis and marathon finals.
Watch the last set again. Novak was absolutely dead about halfway through that set. Could barely move after Murray moved 4-2 up.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Wimbledon draw kind to Murray « Reply #81 on: June 22, 2013, 03:19 PM »

Murray should ultimately have to beat Fed/Nadal then Djokovic to win Wimbledon or indeed any major....as has been the case for the past 4-5 years since the big 4 established themselves. For this reason Murray's draw is not tough. In fact it is very favourable. He has little to no 'tricky' opponents til the QF and then he meets a player who, albeit is good on grass, is someone he has a great record against and a 3-0 grass record in past 2 years. He then meets one of the big 4 in the semis (as should be the case) but he has the additional benefit that whoever he meets should in theory be coming off the back of a tougher mental and physical QF.

The only thing that makes Murrays chances of winning the tourie harder is the fact that he is likely to meet a very unchallenged and fresh Djokovic in the final....but again this could not be a hinderance as it would mean Djokovic might get nervous in the tight moments of a final if he hadn't had any close games prior.

Roll on Monday I say!   cmon yeah
Good post Hamish......I agree with every word!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Wimbledon draw kind to Murray « Reply #82 on: June 22, 2013, 03:51 PM »

@TMH
Don't want to labour the point but Andy suddenly accelerating away would have had a demoralising/energy sapping effect.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon draw kind to Murray « Reply #83 on: June 22, 2013, 05:00 PM »

you could try auctioning him on Rafa's website?

I might try, but I still prefer the adoption option. Trouble is, he's 56, so I don't suppose anyone would have him Smile.

I'm consoling myself with the knowledge that I love him dearly, but he knows nothing about the game. I mean, he prefers WTA! For some reason he thinks they play 'proper' tennis!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Wimbledon draw kind to Murray « Reply #84 on: June 22, 2013, 05:15 PM »

Watch the last set again. Novak was absolutely dead about halfway through that set. Could barely move after Murray moved 4-2 up.

Djokovic was quoted, as I recall, as saying that he knew Andy had won at 4-2 up in the fifth, so he must surely have known he didn't have in him to fight back. The problem is that he's looked half dead like that before, so Andy did well to focus on what he was doing, not allowing himself to get distracted by Djokovic looking like he was about to sieze up down the other end.

I think it was a combination of things that helped Andy. He kept his head in the fifth, that has to have helped him.

I still feel that the way Andy moved Novak around early on in the match laid the groundwork for what came later. If you watch the first couple of sets, Andy didn't seem to let Djokovic settle much, he was constantly making him run. He's always known that if you can take away Djokovic's legs you can get him, and he did it beautifully at the USO.

Djokovic had to play catch up in the second set too. Andy could have filleted him there, but Djokovic came back. He was all right doing it then, but I do think that overturning that two set lead to draw level again, took a lot a lot out of Djokovic, physically, but mentally too.

Ultimately I think Andy dug deeper when he needed to. I think he found something in himself that night that he might not have realised was there before. I know it's the most obvious thing to mention the bathroom break, but I do think that was big for Andy, to be able to tell himself like that that he wasn't going to let it (losing a major final) happen again, and give himself that talking to when he needed it. I think that bodes well for the future.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: Wimbledon draw kind to Murray « Reply #85 on: June 22, 2013, 06:45 PM »

Looks like Monday, Wednesday and Friday each week flower power

Thank you, good to know!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Wimbledon draw kind to Murray « Reply #86 on: June 22, 2013, 09:04 PM »

Luke is right.

Djoker was spent.

He tried so smack a forehand just like he did vs noserer on 2011 uso on mp vs andy but  it did not work.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Wimbledon draw kind to Murray « Reply #87 on: June 23, 2013, 10:41 AM »

Jonathan Overend writing about Andy and Novak's draw.
'Djokovic has avoided his 3 main rivals so, in theory,has a much easier draw, but I expect his main challenges to come from Tommy Haas in round 4,either Richard Gasquet or Tomas berdych in the quarters and Juan Martin del Potro in the semis.
so while Djokovic has the better draw in terms of being in Ferrer's half, I actually expect him to have the tougher matches than Murray in the first week and a half.'
I tend to agree with him. There could be a different finalist than the one expected on this side of the draw.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Wimbledon draw kind to Murray « Reply #88 on: June 23, 2013, 12:20 PM »

'Djokovic has avoided his 3 main rivals so, in theory,has a much easier draw, but I expect his main challenges to come from Tommy Haas in round 4,either Richard Gasquet or Tomas berdych in the quarters and Juan Martin del Potro in the semis.
so while Djokovic has the better draw in terms of being in Ferrer's half, I actually expect him to have the tougher matches than Murray in the first week and a half.'
I tend to agree with him. There could be a different finalist than the one expected on this side of the draw.

Me neither. While Djokovic is obviously the favourite to reach the final, I wouldn't be surprised if Berdych was the finalist. He plays well on grass (though not last year...) and on grass can avoid the long rallies that usually hurt him in matches against Djokovic and Ferrer. He was really unlucky not to have won Wimbledon back in 2010 - usually beating two members of the big 4 is enough to win a slam.
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Wimbledon draw kind to Murray « Reply #89 on: June 23, 2013, 12:31 PM »

This is a good point. I think the fact that Djoko has already had to defend the quality of his draw, suggests a wee bit of added pressure due to expectation. I would have hated Andy to have this draw, with the media having him 'in the final' before a ball is struck.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »