Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  WTF build up: the draw 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

WTF build up: the draw

(Read 3713 times)
FCR
Futures Level

Re: WTF build up: the draw « Reply #30 on: November 04, 2012, 07:50 AM »

All the boys (except Ferrer) were looking fit at last night's ATP Gala in London.  I knew that Night Nurse would do its job http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2227567/Kirsty-Gallacher-flashes-pins-attends-tennis-event-ATP-World-Tour-Finals-Gala-London.html
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: WTF build up: the draw « Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 08:01 AM »

Do we know if Murray will play afternoon or evening on the Friday?

Last year I guessed he would be afternoon but ended up with Tipsy playing Djoke after Andy pulled out. I have seen Djoke play twice and he has never won yet (WTF & Olympics) and still waiting to get a ticket to see Andy. Hoping for Friday afternoon again against Djoke.  Any chance?
No they usually only release the oop the day before, though as they've given us tuesday's already perhaps they'll give us it two days at a time,w which would be helpful.  I'm wondering when they'll put the match against Nole as that's going to be THE match of all the round robin stage surely.  Would make sense to keep it till Friday?  Sky will probably want it in the evening to boost viewing figures; BBC will want the afternoon but surely Sky's call as they are partners I think in the whole enterprise.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: WTF build up: the draw « Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 09:10 AM »

No they usually only release the oop the day before, though as they've given us tuesday's already perhaps they'll give us it two days at a time,w which would be helpful.  I'm wondering when they'll put the match against Nole as that's going to be THE match of all the round robin stage surely.  Would make sense to keep it till Friday?  Sky will probably want it in the evening to boost viewing figures; BBC will want the afternoon but surely Sky's call as they are partners I think in the whole enterprise.

There will be a lot of Sky recording here this coming week.

I was thinking similar so will probably will be disappointed as I have afternoon tickets. I will try not to think what I might watch. Last year I got a rubbish doubles but the Tipsy/Djoke game was quite good so I will accept it as pot luck.  Tsonga is a good entertainer but Berdy would be worse than watching paint dry. At least I will know if you are correct and do not get to see Andy he is then probably still in with a chance to make the semis.  I think if he is not he might end up in the afternoon to suit the non Brit audience worldwide? Scenario of Berdych and Tsonga both having beaten Andy is not nice to thinks about but......that would certainly make the group match choices interesting. Possibilities are endless and worrying. Let us hope that Andy has his Olympics head on. Perhaps he should think that winning a third "top" event in three months might get him closer to SPOTY? Does anyone else think that all the seeds at Paris (except Ferrer) jumped ship to get ready for WTF? Just a thought. Even the Bryan brothers made a hasty exit in the doubles. Whatever we all get to see I just hope that Andy makes the semis as from there we all know that he can do the job!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: WTF build up: the draw « Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 10:41 AM »

There is a system to keep all the matches competitive. I can't remember exactly, but something like....

In round 2 the winners of round one play each other, and so do the losers. Then one of the winners has to lose and one of the losers has to win. Only one player can go into round 3 with two wins, and one with two losses. Hope that's clear!

I've no idea how morning/evening slots are chosen, but someone (Jonathon Overend?) thought Andy/Nole would be Weds afternoon if they both win their first matches.

That may all be rubbish, in which case - sorry!
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: WTF build up: the draw « Reply #34 on: November 04, 2012, 11:30 AM »

There is a system to keep all the matches competitive. I can't remember exactly, but something like....

In round 2 the winners of round one play each other, and so do the losers. Then one of the winners has to lose and one of the losers has to win. Only one player can go into round 3 with two wins, and one with two losses. Hope that's clear!

I've no idea how morning/evening slots are chosen, but someone (Jonathon Overend?) thought Andy/Nole would be Weds afternoon if they both win their first matches.

That may all be rubbish, in which case - sorry!

You are quite right as it happened last year for both groups for second session matches. Last matches are simply then who has not played each other irrelevant of results. Jon Overend is not that reliable with his thoughts so I discard that idea.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: WTF build up: the draw « Reply #35 on: November 04, 2012, 11:34 AM »

[That makes sense and I remember 2 years ago Andy played smugfed in the afternoon of the 3rd day [ie 2nd day of group A].  So perhaps JO is right though you'd think they'd put such a big match on in the evening [if both Andy and Nole win on Monday] unless as you say they're thinking more worldwide audiences than European.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: WTF build up: the draw « Reply #36 on: November 04, 2012, 05:24 PM »

I would sat 45/55 vs Djokovic and 60/40 vs Berdych but that's just me.

What's the H2H on hard courts out of interest (and also the indoor H2H might be interesting too).

I find Berdych more dangerous indoors than Nole. Also, Andy has already seen a loss to Berdych just last year in Paris. As to Nole, I don't think these two have ever played indoor hard, so this will be their first meeting this week.

We will have to rely on Tsonga a lot to do some damages in this group. Last year, he was able to beat Berdych in the same tournament and Tsonga too is a great indoor player. He's seen some wins over Nole as well in the past, so I feel Tsonga will be more tricky for Nole and Berdych than Andy.

Will be interesting to see how Berdych fares against Nole too.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: WTF build up: the draw « Reply #37 on: November 04, 2012, 06:17 PM »

So in summary, this group is wide open.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: WTF build up: the draw « Reply #38 on: November 04, 2012, 06:54 PM »

I won't say it's that wide open but it's pretty tricky for everyone in this group as it has all sorts of potential - one too many scenarios if you will. I still see at least one of the top players making the semi and I'd like to think it's our Andy. 
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: WTF build up: the draw « Reply #39 on: November 04, 2012, 06:59 PM »

If Andy get's past Berdych he has a great chance of getting to the Final where he'll likely play Djoker again.  Can't see Tsonga or anyone in Group B as a threat.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: WTF build up: the draw « Reply #40 on: November 04, 2012, 07:00 PM »

So in summary, this group is wide open.

I think anything could happen, but for those who want to study H2Hs there's this
fogmount ‏@fogmount  Complete London WTF head-to-heads (overall, hardcourt, and indoor): pic.twitter.com/2bXT2SIS

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: WTF build up: the draw « Reply #41 on: November 04, 2012, 07:07 PM »

Thanks, Elena for ^^  that. So does this mean Nole has played Andy indoor before? If so, when was that?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: WTF build up: the draw « Reply #42 on: November 04, 2012, 07:13 PM »

Also, I see 2 indoor (both RR losses) win over Berdych by Nole not 3. Which one am I missing?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: WTF build up: the draw « Reply #43 on: November 04, 2012, 07:18 PM »

Sorry for the consecutive posts, but I can't help but feel (and without looking into details) that some of the H2Hs are wrong.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: WTF build up: the draw « Reply #44 on: November 04, 2012, 07:23 PM »

Thanks, Elena for ^^  that. So does this mean Nole has played Andy indoor before? If so, when was that?

Madrid 2006, their first meeting on the main tour.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »