Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Playground  >  The Wailing Wall 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: The Wailing Wall  (Read 3515 times)
KitKat
Seed

Re: The Wailing Wall « Reply #105 on: February 16, 2009, 05:06 PM »

I applied for a Nationwide Flex account on Saturday for when I go to Rome in a couple of weeks [no charges abroad] and I just found out my credit check failed. WHAT UTTER BULLSH*T!

I have never had to take out a bank loan, I have never even been overdrawn, there has always been money in my accuont and I have a salary. I've never failed to pay for anything apart from some Dutch hosting company when they caused massive downtime so I quit before the contract ended. Would something I did with a Dutch company be on my credit check?

So anyway, I just registered for a credit check report, I'm looking forward to seeing what has caused me to fail. I bet it's something really stupid like a billing error by Virgin Media or BT.
I don't understand why they would do a credit check for this account, it's just a bank account where you can't spend what's not in it, my sons got one and he didn't have a credit check done, he wasn't even working at the time but going to college so it was only his bursary that was being paid in, is it maybe because you won't be having a monthly amount getting paid in to it regular, like your wages?  It is a good account for going abroad my son used it when he went to Denmark and everything went okay, even when he ran out of money and had me nip round to the Nationwide and pay money in for him, he could use the money straight away.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Wailing Wall « Reply #106 on: February 16, 2009, 05:15 PM »

Yes, we do.
Anyway, I think that's your problem, that you've never used a credit card before. One of the biggest things working towards your credit rating is your credit card use. Now, although not using a credit card isn't a minus, you don't get the major plus of using a credit card regularly, and paying it off properly. It was one thing we noticed, that some of us had far better records and earnings then others but still couldn't get an account, and it looked like that was the reason.

I don't think there is any other bank which doesn't charge for using the account abroad, but there are some credit cards - like from Abbey or the Post Office credit card, which don't charge for use abroad. However, their credit checks are also very stringent. I know you don't want to use credit cards, but if you know your budget, you could just use it for this trip, and then throw it out (you can even put money into the credit card account before you spend it, so you'll never actually be in debt). Of course this is assuming you want to spend money shopping, and don't need to withdraw cash, since withdrawing cash on a credit card does get you charged.
Frown

I don't understand why they would do a credit check for this account, it's just a bank account where you can't spend what's not in it
That's what annoys me, it simply doesn't make any sense.

I think it might be more strict with me because I don't have any sort of account with Nationwide, I'm a brand new customer but that still doesn't explain this.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: The Wailing Wall « Reply #107 on: February 16, 2009, 05:25 PM »

Like I said, it won't be anything specific about you Mark. Plenty of people I know have had problems, simply because Nationwide want a very good rating which you can't get if you don't ever use a credit facility by any bank, which is true with you.
They are one of the few banks which do that for a normal account. (By the way, you can open an account by them, just not the flex-account).
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: The Wailing Wall « Reply #108 on: February 16, 2009, 05:27 PM »

Another thing some people I know do is get a friend or parent to open the account in their name, and just use the account themselves. Someone I know lied about his earning situation, and got through! Anyway, it all doesn't matter, because you can't apply for the next 6 months again.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Wailing Wall « Reply #109 on: February 16, 2009, 05:27 PM »

That's so unfair and stupid... If anything, the fact I haven't felt the need to use a credit card should be a plus.
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: The Wailing Wall « Reply #110 on: February 16, 2009, 05:29 PM »

But they don't have any proof that they can trust you.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: The Wailing Wall « Reply #111 on: February 16, 2009, 05:46 PM »

Why do they need to trust me when I'm only getting a debit card?
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: The Wailing Wall « Reply #112 on: February 16, 2009, 05:51 PM »

Good question! Probably because they, like most banks let you have an overdraft.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: The Wailing Wall « Reply #113 on: February 16, 2009, 06:10 PM »

They recognise you off the news. Wink
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: The Wailing Wall « Reply #114 on: February 16, 2009, 06:11 PM »

Isn't it good to get a credit card so you have some credit history?  Some is better than none.  I have two credit cards and when I applied for my third to pay off my second they did it no question and gave me a massive limit because my first credit card is zero balance search me
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: The Wailing Wall « Reply #115 on: February 16, 2009, 06:54 PM »

Yes, Amy, you're right. That's basically been my point to Mark.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: The Wailing Wall « Reply #116 on: February 16, 2009, 07:02 PM »

Undoubtedly they've been reading your posts on Murraysworld - you're doomed - you'll never get one now !!
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: The Wailing Wall « Reply #117 on: February 16, 2009, 07:12 PM »

Yes, Amy, you're right. That's basically been my point to Mark.

Is that meant to be a sarcy as it sounds? Think
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: The Wailing Wall « Reply #118 on: February 16, 2009, 07:15 PM »

No, it's just a post without emoticons. Smile
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Re: The Wailing Wall « Reply #119 on: February 16, 2009, 07:16 PM »

Oh right, its just when people uses other peoples names it can come off as having an attitude with them. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »