Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Playground  >  What are you reading right now? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 ... 85 Go Down Reply
Author

What are you reading right now?

(Read 35537 times)
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: What are you reading right now? « Reply #975 on: February 16, 2011, 07:27 PM »

There is one huge fund of plots. Every November, there's the National Novel Writing Month, when folk try to write 50k words in a month. There's a massive forum containing discarded plots - 'Adopt a Plot' - but most of them concern time travel or bloody wizards.

Seriously, if anyone has a great plot, you will be suitably rewarded.

If I had a decent plot Nigel then I'd have written it myself Wink
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: What are you reading right now? « Reply #976 on: February 17, 2011, 07:50 AM »

Well, had a read through it and if I am grieving, I think it's pretty mild. I'm more inclined to believe that the event itself, being the biggest shock I've ever felt in my life, has caused me to develop a codependency issue, very much looking forward to reading the book when it arrives.

You do love your labels, Mark.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: What are you reading right now? « Reply #977 on: February 17, 2011, 08:41 AM »

You do love your labels, Mark.
Suppose Very Happy
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: What are you reading right now? « Reply #978 on: February 17, 2011, 09:05 PM »

Paul O'Grady 'The Devil Rides Out'.  The second of his hilarious autobiographies.  The guy cracks me up with his wit and honest take on life.  Also, I don't suppose anyone who hasn't read his books will know of the work he did when he was young with socially disadvantaged kids.  More to this man than meets the eye.  Entertaining, soulful and educational.  Smile
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: What are you reading right now? « Reply #979 on: February 17, 2011, 09:52 PM »

I read the first one (first book i bought on my kindle) and loved it Smile
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: What are you reading right now? « Reply #980 on: February 21, 2011, 10:22 AM »

Heard One Day serialised on radio four. Oh my god what an ending.

Still struggling though this. Whilst the book's getting more entertaining, his research is terrible. Having lived through this 20-year period as an adult, I can point out all the historical inaccuracies:

1 Minging/minger not in popular use until max 10 years ago, certainly not 1993.
2 'Middle-class' tattoos didn't take off until a few years ago.
3 'Mentalist' was coined by Steve Coogan in late 90s. Certainly not used in early 90s.
4 Misuse of the word 'sat' is a very recent (and annoying) phenomenon. It was generally used correctly in early 90s.
5 'Gangster' cool was not big in 1995.
6 Also wrong in mid-90s were big watches, titanium objects.
7 Young professional women didn't carry the 'obligatory' water bottle in 1994. That's the last six or seven years, too.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: What are you reading right now? « Reply #981 on: February 21, 2011, 10:28 AM »

Also, kids' names in the schools: Rodney and Martin? In the mid-90s? Come on.
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

Re: What are you reading right now? « Reply #982 on: February 21, 2011, 12:02 PM »

"Nothing To Envy" about people in North Korea.

It's shocking,harrowing, heartbreaking and unbelievable that such a regime can brainwash an entire nation during the 21st century. I cant put it down.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: What are you reading right now? « Reply #983 on: February 21, 2011, 08:59 PM »

Still struggling though this. Whilst the book's getting more entertaining, his research is terrible. Having lived through this 20-year period as an adult, I can point out all the historical inaccuracies:

1 Minging/minger not in popular use until max 10 years ago, certainly not 1993.
2 'Middle-class' tattoos didn't take off until a few years ago.
3 'Mentalist' was coined by Steve Coogan in late 90s. Certainly not used in early 90s.
4 Misuse of the word 'sat' is a very recent (and annoying) phenomenon. It was generally used correctly in early 90s.
5 'Gangster' cool was not big in 1995.
6 Also wrong in mid-90s were big watches, titanium objects.
7 Young professional women didn't carry the 'obligatory' water bottle in 1994. That's the last six or seven years, too.

And now he's excelled himself. I'm up to 1996 and he's talking about bloody DVDs!

I thought it was me, so I did a bit of research, unlike Mr Nicholls, and DVDs first appeared in Europe in 1998.

Very, very poor.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: What are you reading right now? « Reply #984 on: February 21, 2011, 09:09 PM »

I absolutely hate historical inaccuracies in books yes I can cope with creating fictional characters of significance if it's done well, but I hate it when writers are too lazy and write their own world and just change the date pullhair 
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: What are you reading right now? « Reply #985 on: February 21, 2011, 09:22 PM »

It's worth it for the end though. It's emotional.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: What are you reading right now? « Reply #986 on: February 21, 2011, 09:53 PM »

I absolutely hate historical inaccuracies in books yes I can cope with creating fictional characters of significance if it's done well, but I hate it when writers are too lazy and write their own world and just change the date pullhair 

It's basic, isn't it? If you set a novel in the past and you mention something like a bloody DVD, you at least make sure it was around at the time. What amazes me is that I've Googled 'historical inaccuracies in One Day' and similar and no one's pointed them out. Are people thick?

Like you, it makes my blood boil and it spoils the story.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: What are you reading right now? « Reply #987 on: February 21, 2011, 09:54 PM »

It's worth it for the end though. It's emotional.

I'm guessing he does something really selfless like gives his life for her or something. That's out of thin air. I've no idea.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: What are you reading right now? « Reply #988 on: February 21, 2011, 10:39 PM »

Nope!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: What are you reading right now? « Reply #989 on: February 23, 2011, 01:22 AM »

Daisy, funny you suggested I was still in grief - according to the book, grief is very similar to codependency and it often develops due to losing something very significant.

I'm finding myself relating to so much in this book, what a relief, time to heal. Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 ... 85 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »