Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Read-the-Round  >  Deadline Enforcement 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: How Should Deadlines Be Enforced?
Set in stone by whatever deadline is posted by the organized - 1 (20%)
Set by whatever deadline is posted by the organized but with a few minutes leniency to the discretion of the organiser - 1 (20%)
Set by whenever the first of the predicted matches begins - 1 (20%)
Set so you can post a prediction on a match which hasn't begun yet - 2 (40%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Deadline Enforcement

(Read 538 times)
laundry
Top Seed

Deadline Enforcement « on: March 11, 2013, 08:22 PM »

There has been some discrepancy about the ruling that should take place with regards to the deadline, so I am opening this poll to get a feel for where the general consensus lies with respect to this subject.

Option 1: Set in stone by whatever deadline is posted by the organizer.
Option 2: Set by whatever deadline is posted by the organized but with a few minutes leniency to the discretion of the organiser if none of the matches have started.
Option 3: Set by whenever the first of the predicted matches begins, so the organizers would no longer set a deadline but more of a guideline as to when your predictions should be in by.
Option 4: Set so you can post a prediction on a match which hasn't begun yet. So if you get here a little late and one of the matches has already started - you wouldn't be able to make a prediction for that match but you would still be able to make predictions for the other matches that haven't started yet.
[ Last edit by laundry March 11, 2013, 08:45 PM ] IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Deadline Enforcement « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 10:14 PM »

I say option 2- up to maybe 15 minutes after the deadline but no more.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Deadline Enforcement « Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 10:23 PM »

I say option 2- up to maybe 15 minutes after the deadline but no more.
But then I guess you might as well make the deadline 15 minutes later and it would have the same affect  lol

A majority of people seem to be happy with option 4, I guess that's the friendliest of options and will keep people the most happy. By the way did you vote in the poll?
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Deadline Enforcement « Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 10:30 PM »

Then I think if you're going that way then we stick by the deadline otherwise there's no point having one.
RTR is meant to be a fairly low maintenance thread, that shouldn't require constant supervision and involvement from those running it. Posting predictions and doing scores doesn't take too much time- keeping an eye on whose posted for 3 matches and who for 5 and who has tried to sneak in ones for matches already started? Sounds too fussy for me. 
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Deadline Enforcement « Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:36 PM »

I always meet the deadline.

I'm a good/bad girl.  shades
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Deadline Enforcement « Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 10:40 PM »

RTR is meant to be a fairly low maintenance thread, that shouldn't require constant supervision and involvement from those running it. Posting predictions and doing scores doesn't take too much time- keeping an eye on whose posted for 3 matches and who for 5 and who has tried to sneak in ones for matches already started? Sounds too fussy for me. 
I guess. We do need to figure in the practicality of it. If that's how you feel then I think Option 3 is the best compromise. So the RTR organizer doesn't post a set deadline, it just goes by when the first of the matches start then any posts after that don't count. That shouldn't be difficult to track and it will likely be pointed out if somebody posts after a match has started.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Deadline Enforcement « Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 10:51 PM »

I guess. We do need to figure in the practicality of it. If that's how you feel then I think Option 3 is the best compromise. So the RTR organizer doesn't post a set deadline, it just goes by when the first of the matches start then any posts after that don't count. That shouldn't be difficult to track and it will likely be pointed out if somebody posts after a match has started.

The thing is with that is it changes day to day and means that people have to be following the live play to know when the latest they can post is. Some people post hours before a match because they won't be back on the site till after play or in the middle of play.
A set deadline that generally follows for the majority of the week gives continuity so people know roughly when they have to get on the site and post by.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Deadline Enforcement « Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 10:55 PM »

Speaking of which where is tomorrow's RTR?
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Deadline Enforcement « Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 10:59 PM »

The thing is with that is it changes day to day and means that people have to be following the live play to know when the latest they can post is.
No they wouldn't, why do they need to know when the latest they can post is? They can post whenever they like, like they can now - it would be exactly the same for everybody as it is now. It would just be that instead of posting a set deadline the organizer would post when the matches are supposed to start and it would be the responsibility of everybody to try and post before that time, just like it is now.

Try it with the next set of matches, you'll see it will be fine.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Deadline Enforcement « Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 11:00 PM »

Speaking of which where is tomorrow's RTR?

I'm on the website but it's not posted yet- got to wait for the scheduling remember?
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Deadline Enforcement « Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 11:03 PM »

No they wouldn't, why do they need to know when the latest they can post is? They can post whenever they like, like they can now - it would be exactly the same for everybody as it is now. It would just be that instead of posting a set deadline the organizer would post when the matches are supposed to start and it would be the responsibility of everybody to try and post before that time, just like it is now.

Try it with the next set of matches, you'll see it will be fine.

No we run this week with the existing rules and don't change the middle of the week. You also wait until we can get Grabcopy and Allan's opinions as well as the other organisers and then we see about changing.
Sometime's changes are necessary and I don't see how this one is. I will go with what the majority decide but I don't agree with changing the rules mid tournament and without having heard what the other two think.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Deadline Enforcement « Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 11:05 PM »

No we run this week with the existing rules and don't change the middle of the week. You also wait until we can get Grabcopy and Allan's opinions as well as the other organisers and then we see about changing.
Sometime's changes are necessary and I don't see how this one is. I will go with what the majority decide but I don't agree with changing the rules mid tournament and without having heard what the other two think.
The problem is the rules are not clear right now, what ruling are we going to use with TheMadHatter posting today after the matches started as he thought that just posting before the matches had started was acceptable.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Deadline Enforcement « Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 11:14 PM »

He knows we post deadlines and that should be self-explanatory enough. there have been cases where people are only a couple of minutes out of the deadline and that's been up to someone to decide on. I say we stick with the deadline is the deadline till after IW and then make a decision after that.
But as I said if the other 4 rtr organisers want an immediate change then I will go with the numbers.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Deadline Enforcement « Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 11:15 PM »

As a RTR newbie, please can someone explain to me why after years of the existing rules, there is a motivation to change them?
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Deadline Enforcement « Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 11:20 PM »

I'm not actually really too fussed what the rules are, I just want them completely clarified so I know what I'm doing and people won't be confused like TheMadHatter said he was. If the rules are going to be that of a set deadline then from now on I want to completely set by it, but when I said I was going to do so in the other topic some people started saying that wasn't a good idea.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »