Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  2010 World Rowing Championships 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

2010 World Rowing Championships

(Read 2038 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

2010 World Rowing Championships « on: October 21, 2010, 08:24 AM »

Thought I ought to start a thread about this, since it's happening in my back garden, so to speak.  Well, a five minutes drive down the road from me.

Cambridge (main thoroughfare for getting to said venue) is bustling with anticipation.  Most shops in town have adopted a country and have at least one of their shop windows decked out in rowing memorabilia and a country's flag.

We were always seeing the Evers-Swindell twins in town, before they retired, and we often see cars of some of the other NZ rowing champions in town, but I have to say that when I think of rowing, then it's Steve Redgrave and Matthew Pinsent I think of.

Anyway, a link if anyone's interested.   http://www.wrch2010.com/newsdetail.php?id=88

Hoping to pop down at the weekend and see what's afoot.  search secret service agent
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: 2010 World Rowing Championships « Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 08:26 AM »

And, that was going to be my next question (in another thread where you mentioned this) ... what are all these rowers doing in NZ ... so, thank you for posting this  Smile
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: 2010 World Rowing Championships « Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 12:38 PM »

Well come on team GB Smile
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: 2010 World Rowing Championships « Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 08:03 AM »

Had a trip down to Karapiro on Saturday.  Busy at the cafe where we went and lots of cars travelling over the dam too.  I've taken a few photos for those that may be interested.  The dam reminds me of Pitlochry (just a little) and is situated just after the red bouy strip.  The hillside in the background is Maungatautari - http://www.maungatrust.org/subpages/projectaims/aboutmtt.asp  There happened to be a group of Maori's rehersing some kind of dance/ritual, and I took a couple of photos of that too, not that you can see much.  It was a lovely day down there and nice to see the lake really busy with rowing boats.

* Karapiro view from cafe.JPG (138.86 KB, 1095x821 - viewed 136 times.)

* Viewing platform.JPG (138.11 KB, 1095x821 - viewed 144 times.)

* Maori's rehersing.JPG (298.26 KB, 1095x821 - viewed 138 times.)
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: 2010 World Rowing Championships « Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 08:04 AM »

And the remainder of the photos.

* Maori's rehersing 1.JPG (259.82 KB, 1095x821 - viewed 132 times.)

* Closer view of rowing venue.JPG (368.44 KB, 1824x1368 - viewed 137 times.)

* Karapiro Dam.JPG (168.5 KB, 1095x821 - viewed 195 times.)
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: 2010 World Rowing Championships « Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 02:55 PM »

Lovely Bev yes See what you mean about the countryside...but with better weather lol
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: 2010 World Rowing Championships « Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 09:15 AM »

http://www.britishrowing.org/news/aggar-dominates-final-take-world-champs-gold-karapiro

* Aggar_celebrates_victory_-_Karapiro.jpg (126.61 KB, 600x399 - viewed 173 times.)
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: 2010 World Rowing Championships « Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 01:01 PM »

yay clap
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: 2010 World Rowing Championships « Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 06:02 AM »

Two golds for GB Rowing Team at World Championships

Olympic champions Mark Hunter and Zac Purchase proved they were back at their best by taking the first of the two golds won by the Great Britain rowing team today at the World Championships on New Zealand's Lake Karapiro - the second went to the newly-reformed British women's quadruple scull.

Purchase and Hunter dominated their lightweight men's double scull final for the outset to win in 7:13.47.

"We went out there and did our thing and came back in with a gold medal. That's fantastic", said Hunter.

"It was good to open the account for the Olympic boats here and you can't get better than that. We knew we were good we just had to go out and do it", added Purchase.

Beth Rodford, Frances Houghton, Annabel Vernon and Debbie Flood made up a first-half deficit to overhual reigning champions, the Ukraine, and win in 7:12.78.

"No-one does more than us, no-one trains on worse water than us.  We just kept powering through. It felt good", said Vernon of the victory in testing winds.

http://www.britishrowing.org/news/two-golds-gb-rowing-team-world-championships
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: 2010 World Rowing Championships « Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 09:31 PM »

Men's four win World Championships gold for Britain

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/rowing/9163416.stm

My youngest daughter has gone there today with some of her friends and will cheer the Brits on cmon GB

* _49827906_rowing_mfour_boatstill.jpg (52.51 KB, 640x360 - viewed 173 times.)
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: 2010 World Rowing Championships « Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 10:50 PM »

Live results viewer link, just in case anyone is interested.

http://www.worldrowing.com/index.php?pageid=116
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: 2010 World Rowing Championships « Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 12:21 AM »

Is it me but don't the short these guys are wearing look a little tight? blink

* lwt_four_victorious.jpg (770.32 KB, 1117x1024 - viewed 291 times.)
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: 2010 World Rowing Championships « Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 10:37 AM »

Great Britain top medal table at World Championships

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/rowing/9164285.stm

clap

My daughter had a great day at the lake and managed to get her photo with some of the Chinese, Italian and British rowers, all of which were really good sports.  Unfortunately, she has no idea who the actual rowers were! dontknow

From what I've heard, it's been a roaring success here at Lake Karapiro and may they all come back soon! wave
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: 2010 World Rowing Championships « Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 11:03 AM »

Men's four win World Championships gold for Britain

Oarsome news. cmon yeah
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »