Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Reply
Author

Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009

(Read 1265 times)
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 11:17 AM »

Ok Bolt could stop running now and he'd be a legend. I can't believe that he would say he was a bit tired and yet run 19.19 sec for the 200m!! And he's only just 23 today!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 09:31 AM »

And a bronze for Jenny Meadows in the 800m....though t event isn't without controversy!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/8210471.stm

I really hope that she is properly a female. I like to try and see the good in people so I choose to believe until proven otherwise. She obviously doesn't have a penis or that would be known and she surely comes from too poor an upbringing to have had the op (ie, one of the poorest parts of Africa!). So the only possibililty has to be if her body has both the male and female chromosones which has happened before. In this instance I choose to believe her or that any irregularity is not something that has arisen intentionally.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 03:21 AM »

So they have concluded she is a hermaphrodite. Meaning she has internal testes which produce more testosterone and she has no womb or ovaries. Disappointed at this outcome but I'm also pleased it wasn't something done deliberately.

As for what should happen to her now, what do people think? It's a tough one because it's a birth defect by no fault of anyone. So shouldn't she be allowed the same life as anyone else? Or should she be banned from female events because of this? If that's the case, then is she allowed to enter male events? Do they perhaps decide it's a disability and she's a Paralympian instead? If so, then what disability category does she compete in? Or is she simply a freak who doesn't deserve the same chances as the rest of us? Really complicated situation.

I'd probably lean towards letting her continue on the basis that it's something she was born with and had no idea about and it has not been done deliberately in order to cheat. For example, letting Muttiah Muralitharan chuck his way to 700 odd test wickets with a birth defect sets some sort of precedant doesn't it? It might seem different but is it really that different? A birth defect has given him a significant competitive advantage that has resulted in him becoming statistically the greatest bowler of all time. Without wanting to render several hundred test wickets invalid, they simply changed the rules (ie, the 15 degrees or whatever it is these days) to allow for his condition.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 September 11, 2009, 12:54 PM ] IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 09:21 AM »

She could still have a female reproductive system as well, no? In fact, doesn't being a hermaphrodite mean having both sets of reproductive organs?

Another option might be a surgical removal of the testes - which removes the problem, but will also probably remove her physical advantage...Really horrible situation for her to be in...
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 12:53 PM »

Yeah reports that came out earlier said hermaphrodite but the news this evening clarified that this condition is in fact called 'inter-sex.' A hermaphrodite would have both sets of organs.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Athletics World Champs - Berlin 2009 « Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 05:50 PM »

^ And in cases of hermaphrodite babies the parents usually have to make a decision and then doctors remove one set...but that can lead to the child being brought up as a girl and then feeling like a boy in a girls body or vis versa.
Come on we're saying she looks like she could be a guy...okay she's got the breasts but Serena Williams!! Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »