Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  2016 Summer Olympics - Rio is chosen! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Which city do you want to win the 2016 Olympics hosting rights?
Chicago, USA
Madrid, Spain
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Tokyo, Japan

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

2016 Summer Olympics - Rio is chosen!

(Read 1205 times)
elias_sergei

2016 Summer Olympics - Rio is chosen! « on: September 09, 2009, 03:35 AM »

Four cities are in the running to become the host city of the 2016 Summer Olympic Games, with less than a month to go before the IOC voting session in Copenhagen:

Rio de Janiero is steadily gaining momentum as the frontrunner. Riding on its new frontier status and Brazil's hosting of the 2014 World Cup, Rio could be the first-ever South American host city for the Olympics.

Chicago could provide that much-needed financial boost to the IOC, and the USOC has a great track record in organizing the Games.

The chances of Tokyo and Madrid, despite having technically excellent bids, are low primarily because of Beijing 2008 and London 2012. The IOC has the tendency to rotate its geographical host reference.

The way I see it, Rio and Chicago are head-to-head, but Tokyo isn't far behind. Any city could possibly win, especially with the interesting and rather unpredictable round-by-round voting system of the IOC.

Which city do you want to win? Which city do you think will win? Which city should win?
[ Last edit by Allan October 02, 2009, 05:54 PM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: 2016 Summer Olympic Games « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 09:33 AM »

If rotating the geographical host is the priority, which I agree with, then it has to be Rio surely. I mean, how many times has America had it already? They've only just had it in 1996. If South America has never had it then surely it's about time they did.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: 2016 Summer Olympic Games « Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:57 AM »

Personaly I would love Chicago, but I think Rio should definitely be up there Smile
IP Logged
KitKat
Seed

Re: 2016 Summer Olympic Games « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 12:31 PM »

Rio would be great, I could see it full of colour with a carnival atmosphere and great music.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: 2016 Summer Olympic Games « Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 04:35 PM »

It'll be either Rio or Madrid. Announcement at 5:50pm UK time.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: 2016 Summer Olympic Games « Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 05:50 PM »

Rio gets it!!!!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: 2016 Summer Olympics - Rio is chosen! « Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 05:58 PM »

Rio gets it!!!!
Very pleased.  yes  I heard Obama's speech about why America deserved it, and no........ just, no.......
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: 2016 Summer Olympics - Rio is chosen! « Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 06:19 PM »

Very pleased.  yes  I heard Obama's speech about why America deserved it, and no........ just, no.......

D'you mean no to Obama (whose popularity is sliding down the tube, by the way - but no surprises there) or no to America ?
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: 2016 Summer Olympics - Rio is chosen! « Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 06:20 PM »

Gosh - that's 7 years away - amazing!  Well, six and a bit years anyway  ...... too early to book plane tickets and hotel rooms I think ...
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: 2016 Summer Olympics - Rio is chosen! « Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 06:27 PM »

D'you mean no to Obama (whose popularity is sliding down the tube, by the way - but no surprises there) or no to America ?
Both..... tbh... I thought Obama's speech was cringingly awful....  and that shouldn't put me off America, and it doesn't.... but talk about your head being up your own arse......  Whistle
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: 2016 Summer Olympics - Rio is chosen! « Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 06:29 PM »

Both..... tbh... I thought Obama's speech was cringingly awful....  and that shouldn't put me off America, and it doesn't.... but talk about your head being up your own arse......  Whistle

I hope I'm now allowed to say I TOLD YOU SO ........ Rolling Eyes  He's worse than awful ....
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: 2016 Summer Olympics - Rio is chosen! « Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 06:40 PM »

I hope I'm now allowed to say I TOLD YOU SO ........ Rolling Eyes  He's worse than awful ....
I didn't even know you felt that way, and I'm not such a follower that my opinion is justified, but..... what I've heard just says.....  'arse'  on all levels....
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: 2016 Summer Olympics - Rio is chosen! « Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 06:42 PM »

I didn't even know you felt that way, and I'm not such a follower that my opinion is justified, but..... what I've heard just says.....  'arse'  on all levels....

I'm not an Obama fan ..... there are several phrases which come to mind to describe him, none of them PC, so I'll swallow them all ...............
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Re: 2016 Summer Olympics - Rio is chosen! « Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 06:44 PM »

Yay for Rio - definitely the right choice Smile
IP Logged
Shooting Star
Veteran

Re: 2016 Summer Olympics - Rio is chosen! « Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 07:17 PM »

Yay! I think it had to be really, geographical rotation and all
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »