Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday, Time - TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member - 2007 Season 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Reply
Author

A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member - 2007 Season

(Read 5688 times)
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #45 on: May 28, 2007, 01:42 PM »

FFS.
Just looking at the results more closely and 3 Kings who we beat 9-1 seem to have beatn the Choppers 2-1 in the weekend no

The Choppers were pretty sh*t. We just got kicked off the field. Very annoying. I think we have got a bit of a reputation. Our coach could hear them saying it on the field. Seems like it's got round from Metro that we are a quick and skillful, but quite physically small team. Get on top of us physically and intimidate us etc and we can be beaten. Much like Arsenal actually. We create countless chances and despite having 40 goals in 7 games, we have probably finished not even a quarter of what we have created! And that is not an exaggeration. And if you play like Blackburn or Bolton against us, chances are you'll beat us.
So that's what the Choppers did and it worked. In the 2nd half every time they got the ball, they just smashed it 50 meters out over the sideline. Just stopped playing. So determined to stuff them in the return match!
Apparently they were all from Ernst & Young too. Reputable people apparently Rolling Eyes roflmao
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 May 28, 2007, 01:44 PM ] IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #46 on: May 28, 2007, 07:45 PM »

Alex, could you post a league table so we can all see how close it is?
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #47 on: May 28, 2007, 10:43 PM »

Good idea, I'll get it when I'm at home tonight.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #48 on: May 29, 2007, 07:19 AM »

Current League Table:

Ellerslie Findlay is our opposition this coming weekend. Crucial and must win game as you can see.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 May 29, 2007, 07:20 AM ] IP Logged
murrays_mint
Seed

MW Prediction & Fantasy League Champion 06/07

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #49 on: May 29, 2007, 03:51 PM »

Best attack and best defence and still 3rd in the league  shocking
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #50 on: May 29, 2007, 09:51 PM »

Yeah Frown
It's down to the Metro game really. We shouldn't have lost to them. 1-0 up at half time but we really should have been 3 up at least given how much we dominated the half.
Made 2 defensive mistakes early in the 2nd half and never came back. If it wasn't for 10 minutes at the start of the 2nd half, we'd be top on 18.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #51 on: May 30, 2007, 02:45 AM »

Starting to feel the ankle today actually. The game on Saturday coupled with the intense training session on Monday night may not have been the best treatment.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #52 on: June 02, 2007, 01:04 PM »

02/06/2007 - Game 8
Opposition: Ellerslie Findlay
Venue: Away
Kickoff: 2.45pm
Weather: Torrential Rain, then calm

The rain was ridiculously heavy on the way there, even had have the windscreen wipers on double! Was much like that when warming up too, until it cleared shortly before kickoff and conditions became quite calm.

We started the better side, and forced their keeper into 1 excellent save after about 10 minutes. After that they got more into the game and in particular their right winger was getting acres of space. Our left back (basically left back as he's the squad's only left footer; against the better sides, it's clear he has absolutely no idea about defending) was getting caught in field everytime and they were killing us by switching the play and releasing the guy on the right. Fortunately they didn't manage to produce anything that forced me into anything too spectacular. It was a pretty even game, although we had the better chances. One great move led to us hitting the post. Missed 2 or 3 more reasonable chances, and then on half time, their right winger broke into the box from the right and came one on one. I blocked his effort and managed to scramble on top of the loose ball to get us through to half time level.

They carved out the 1st good chance of the 2nd half. Corner from our right came in low, one of our defenders failed to get it clear and one of their players smashed it at about knee height to my left from about 7 yards in front of me. Somehow I got an outstretched left hand down to it and kept it out, with our left back on the post clearing the loose ball. It was a reflex save, and one of my best ever. Still not sure how I got there lol
This seemed to give us the lift we needed and the chances started coming. Few more saves from their keeper and you could sense a goal was coming for use. It did come, with about 35 mins to go. Great finish turning on the edge of the box, and firing into the bottom corner. They almost hit back immediately, got a break and hesitation from our captain allowed their striker to get to the ball, but I had cut down the angle and parried his effort away, and our captain recovered to clear the danger. It was all us from there and we got a 2nd 10 minutes later. They had a corner, and we got a counter attack from it. Amazing run from one of our central midfielders from the edge of our penalty area to about 25 yards from their goal, and he played it through for our goalscorer to slot it past the keeper for his 2nd and 2-0. We defended pretty solidly and managed to deal with all they threw at us. With what I felt was about 10 minutes to go (of course I didn't have a watch, but I tend to be quite accurate with working out the timings) I started to taste a well earned clean sheet and at last a great performance that had directly impacted on a positive result, rather than a good one in a rout. Unfortunately it wasn't to be.

One of our players went down injured in the middle of the field, they kept playing and dribbled it past him, without kicking it out. They got down our end, the right winger once again getting in behind our left back. He cut it back for someone running in and he hit it hard and low to my right. I reckon I would have had it covered if our captain hadn't deflected it past me to my left in his attempt to block it.
Still we managed to hold on from there and I made a couple more reasonable saves and catches. My my reckoning (albeit without a watch) time was pretty much up when someone called out "4 minutes guys" after having presumably asked the ref, who was unfortunately their guy in the 2nd half. We seemed to go on for about another 10 minutes until disaster struck. Shot from the edge of the box, I saved it but could only parry it to the right. I couldn't manage to get to the loose ball before one of their players. He chipped it over me and another of their guys finished it. However, this guy was on the line, almost in the goal and as he actually turned it into the goal, he must have been miles offside. Cue an argument with several of our players and their ref. I didn't join in. I was speechless. We had won this game, outplayed them in the 2nd half and I'd had my best game of the season keeping them out. I couldn't believe we had somehow ended up not winning, especially with the 2 poxy goals they got at the end. Anyway, he blew the whistle as we kicked off.

One of our subs said by his watch it was time up when it was announced that there were 4 minutes to go, which confirmed my estimation was reasonablt accurate. Seemed like the ref just kept it going until they scored, then blew.
Still, we only have ourselves to blame again. We had the chances to kill it off properly but didn't. I'm exceptionally gutted. Still can't believe we didn't win, and very annoyed and the 2 goals that took my clean sheet away.
If Metro won today, then winning the league is probably going to be out of reach. Unless we can get up in the 2nd round of matches and beat these 3 sides we've dropped points against. We will also need someone else to beat Metro though.

Anyway, Waiheke Island at home next week for the last of the 1st round of matches. I believe we will have to organise picking them up from the wharf and bringing them to the game etc.

Result: 2-2 Draw
Personal Peformance: Excellent. Several excellent saves including one I expect to end up my best of the season.

[ Last edit by invisibleman18 June 02, 2007, 01:11 PM ] IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #53 on: June 02, 2007, 01:15 PM »

Gutted for you Alex. Sounds like you guys did really good...
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #54 on: June 02, 2007, 02:07 PM »

Cheated out of points once again from the opposition's ref. Rolling Eyes grr

At least you had your best personal performance yey. Smile
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #55 on: June 02, 2007, 02:17 PM »

That's the trouble with NZ. There's hardly any refs, so you are usually lucky to get 1 a season.
Usually whoever does it is fine but there will always be a couple who are not quite fair throughout the season. Can't be avoided.
There was a ridiculous one last season. Full Syrian team who were the dirtiest team and biggest cheats I've ever played. Absolutely ridiculous. So much so that every team in our division wrote into Soccer 2 (the Football Association I suppose, covering the region I play in) to complain about them, and every game in our league started getting official refs for about the last 5 games or so of the season.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 June 05, 2007, 06:04 AM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #56 on: June 05, 2007, 06:14 AM »

Strangely the results from Saturday are not in yet. Only our result and 1 other bottom of the table clash are in. Not the couple I'm desparate to find out. Usually they are all in by now. As it stands, we are 2nd on goal difference on 16 points (3 teams currently on 16), 2 behind Metro. Metro played the Choppers on Saturday so a win for them would put them 5 clear of us, but a loss would bring the Choppers onto 16, behind us on GD. So I guess a Choppers victory would be best for us to keep Metro within touching distance.

Also Uni Mt Wellington are on 16 without their result from Saturday in. They played Waiheke Island so that will also be an extremely interesting result given we are playing Waiheke this coming weekend, and as they are the only team we have not played yet they are the only one we know absolutely nothing about other than their results. I'm really suprised Uni Mt are up the top. We beat them 6-2 in the first game and they were pretty average, but they seem to have beaten everyone else since with our win being their only loss to date. Hoping they lost to Waiheke on Saturday to keep them behind us on GD. Waiheke are currently on 12 before Saturday's result so that would bring them to 15 and make things even more tight at the top.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 June 05, 2007, 06:16 AM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #57 on: June 05, 2007, 12:14 PM »

Have just discovered this afternoon that my club is paying certain players they wish to keep $120 a week to play in the first team! That's where our fees go, and that's why it's the most expensive club in terms of fees in Auckland.
Really stinks. They don't even give us balls FFS. Always knew they paid people under the table but never knew how much until now. If I could be arsed I'd complain and demand an explanation from someone, but there's no point. Won't get me anywhere and they would just deny it as I can't really prove it.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 June 05, 2007, 12:15 PM ] IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #58 on: June 05, 2007, 02:17 PM »

Isn't it an amateur league though?
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #59 on: June 06, 2007, 12:21 AM »

Of course.
All the clubs do it, and in my club's case it's the only way they could keep decent players at a **** club in the 2nd division, just never knew how much they paid before.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 June 06, 2007, 12:08 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »