Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member - 2007 Season 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member - 2007 Season

(Read 5824 times)
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Inspired by Neil's account of his daily life, I've decided to blog my football season. I usually like to post somewhere about my exploits whenever I have a match, so may aswell make an appropriate place to do so (sorry if you think this should be in the Playground like Neil's Mark, move if required).

14/04/2007 - First Game Of The Season
Opposition: University Mt Wellington
Venue: Home
Kickoff: 2.45pm
Weather: Absolutely Atrocious

Arrived at the ground at about 1.45, an hour before kickoff, expecting to be first there as usual, and was suprised to see everyone was already there.
Very windy and cold, and the skies looked like they were about to open. Put on my nice new Adidas Predator boots that were picked up for $2, yes $2 (less than a pound) in a mass sports warehouse clearance sale in Adelaide (couple more pairs in stock at home Very Happy). Then the dilemma was, do I use my nice new goalkeeper gloves and risk ruining them in awful conditions, or do I stick with the training pair. Decided on debuting the new ones. Brilliant pair of gloves, Adidas Fingersaves picked up for 17 pounds in Selfridges in London last year. Absolute bargain given I'll usually pay at least double that for a good match pair. Wish I'd bought another in stock. It was a suprise to stumble upon them in Selfridges, and a suprise to find some in my size. My Dad and I had exactly the 17 pounds in cash between us and not a penny more, so we bought them then ran out the store to find a bank lol
Anyway, began a bit of a warmup and within about 30 seconds I could tell they were possibly the best pair of gloves I'd ever used. Have had Fingersaves before, but these are by far the best. Had a good and lengthy warmup, with plenty of time for a break before kickoff. Shortly before kickoff the skies opened and we were then faced with playing the first half against the most awesome wind and rain. I told my mate (our captain) that playing with the advantage of those conditions was worth at least 2 goals, and if we get to half time level, we'll win.

Suprisingly we started the better of the 2 sides, created the first few openings and even found ourselves 1-0 up after about 15 minutes. Shortly after that they made their first advantage of the conditions, playing a long ball over the top for the right winger to run onto, cross, and finshed off by the striker after a hashed clearance by our captain. No chance for me to stop the good finish. Game was pretty even, and then they struck again. Another long ball over the defence for their striker to run onto, he's past our defender so I rush out to narrow the angle, but he knocks it past me and another runs in and taps in for 1-2. Defender argued that he had him, although he was never going to catch him. Still, we could have communicated better with each other. They start to get on top now, another poor clearance in the box from our captain leads to me making a fine full stretch save in the air, and they create another few opportunites from through balls which I slide out to claim (and the striker left in a foot to give me a little kick each time I might add), and another couple of shots wide while we were struggling to get the ball up the other end. Then on the stroke of half time, our scorer finds his way through again and equalises for 2-2 at half time.
As I expected, a 2 goal wind, and to be level at half time was a pretty good effort.

Typically, the rain stops and wind dies down for the beginning of the 2nd half, so conditions make it more of a level playing field. This was where our superiority starting showing however. Without the advantage of the wind, their long ball tactic wasn't paying off, and we started carving out chances, and put 1 away early on for 3-2. They started to get forward a bit and had a few efforts, although I was never that greatly threatened. Few basic saves and through balls collected etc. Then the rain and wind came back, to our advantage as it now became easier to keep them in their half. I then made a rare assist of my own, much like in last week's pre season match I posted about somewhere. Punt over the top of their defence for someone to run onto and finish off for a 2 goal cushion. Think it was a length of the field 3 touch goal - my kick, 1 touch to control and 1 more to finish it. Another length of the field effort came not long after. We cleared a corner, and found ourselves in a 2 on 1 defender situation which was finished off by our worst player who rather enjoyed scoring lol
There was still time for one more, brilliant 30 yard shot in off the post to round off a great start to the season.

Result: 6-2 Win
Personal Performance: Pleasing. No chance with the first goal, perhaps communication could have been better on the 2nd, although it was more the defence's fault for pushing too far up playing into that wind. 1 excellent save. Safe hands when called upon.

Hope that was a decent read and a couple of people are actually interested. If noone's bothered then let me know I don't need to continue with it.

[ Last edit by invisibleman18 April 05, 2008, 07:22 AM ] IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 12:45 PM »

Oh no... panic The length of it all. fainting
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 12:49 PM »

Goalie's are known to be the ones who are not bothered therefore useless at our school... nice one, Alex!  Wink Keep the entries rolling in, mate! cmon yeah
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 01:00 PM »

That was a very entertaining account Alex... I will definitely keep reading this!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 01:08 PM »

Forgot to add, the guy who liked to give me kick every time I got the ball also slid in with his studs up on me once. I wasn't too pleased, but managed to regather the ball ok so no harm done.
He was an arsehole, tried to start a fight at one point when he got tackled by an awesome tackle and knocked to the floor by a guy half his height lol Moron.
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 01:38 PM »

Yeah nice one, Alex!  I will most likely read this!
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 01:55 PM »

Well played mate... hopefully this blog can last longer than Neil's has. Wink
IP Logged
murrays_mint
Seed

MW Prediction & Fantasy League Champion 06/07

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 01:57 PM »

Good job Alex, if Lehmann leaves Arsenal in the summer then....... Whistle
IP Logged
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 02:04 PM »

The first spin off. lol
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 02:06 PM »

Well played mate... hopefully this blog can last longer than Neil's has. Wink
lol That was my first thought when I seen this thread.

More exciting than Neil's as well. Whistle
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 02:14 PM »

I shall attempt to post shortly after each game, and perhaps whenever anything of any note might happen at training or whatever, rather than have to do mass catch ups like certain other blogs Wink

Good job Alex, if Lehmann leaves Arsenal in the summer then....... Whistle

I'm ready. Sign me up!
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 April 14, 2007, 02:15 PM ] IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 12:39 PM »

When I first moved to Tenerife in 96, CD Tenerife got to the Semi Finals of the Uefa Cup. The other day I was watching a dvd of their great European run and in the Semis they played Schalke 04 and guess who was their goalie?  Yep, you got it, Lehman!  He is really young and he was still a cheating twat back then too. lol 
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 05:20 AM »

10 teams in our division and 4 of the 5 results from Saturday are now in.
Pretty high scoring day!
As well as our 6-2, there were also two 4-2 results and a 5-4!
1 more result from our next opposition is still pending.

There's 1 team in our league from Waiheke Island, which is a small island about 35 minutes by ferry from Auckland, and counts as being part of Auckland City.

I've never been there, but my Dad has once for something to do with work and my brother has had a football game there once. It involves having to pay out for the ferry, getting picked up at the wharf there by the opposition (if they can be arsed), and then hopefully being given some food afterwards and then taken back to the wharf. Except when my brother went they were not given anything, and had to get taxis back to the wharf as awell as paying out for the ferry trip. Should be an interesting away trip then.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 April 16, 2007, 05:22 AM ] IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 10:24 AM »

It'll make it an interesting blog hopefully!
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 08:32 PM »

I am now inspired to catch up and continue my daily blog. Tonight. I look forward to reading yours too.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »