Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member - 2007 Season 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member - 2007 Season

(Read 5739 times)
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 09:13 AM »

All results now in and this weekend's opposition lost 7-1 last weekend to the Waiheke Island team. Although that doesn't mean an awful lot yet as we don't know anything about either team so could be that Waiheke are awesome, or the other team were not so good.
Either way, that makes the results from our division on Saturday to be: 6-2 4-2 4-2 5-4 7-1
So it seems the teams know where the goal is! I was a bit worried about my team being too good for this league and me having very little to do. Looks like there could some busy games for me afterall.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 10:57 AM »

Another thought is that given it was the away Waiheke Island trip, the other team may well have only had 8 players turn up or something. So can't read too much into that result until we've seen the teams.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 07:01 AM »

Just got back and it turns out they got thumped last week because they are pretty ordinary to say the least! I'll write up the review a bit later, need some food first.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 11:59 AM »

21/04/2007 - Game 2
Opposition: Three Kings
Venue: Away (approx 45 minute drive West)
Kickoff: 2.45pm
Weather: Bright and Sunny and Dry

Much better weather conditions this week. Glorious sunshine. Weren't sure what to expect as we don't know any of the teams in this league, but we knew this opposition lost 7-1 last week.
Got underway and I noticed there were no bloody lines painted on the pitch! Only some very faint marks that perhaps had been mowed at 1 point but had grown back. You couldn't tell where the penalty area ended etc, so I lost my bearings for a little while. Had 1 dodgy moment in the first couple of minutes where a routine ball came through to me towards the right side of the area, however I had no idea where the edge of the area was, and I took my eyes off the ball trying to figure out whether I could pick it up or not. So as I was not concentrating on the ball, and more on where the hell I was, it was fumbled, but fortunately no disaster resulted. After that it was mostly simple stuff for me, apart from having to rush out to clear the danger before the striker latched onto a ball over the top at one point. Main trouble was when I had the ball, I of course didn't know where the edge of the area was, so was probably punting it out from a couple of metres or so further back than I could go.

We started to string the moves together and took an early lead like last week inside 15 mins. Nice play on the left, ball was pulled back from the by line and finished off by the Japanese guy with the afro lol Many more misses followed, including at least 3 sitters where players went for power rather than placement. And like last week, disaster struck. After about 30 minutes, centre back tries to dribble the ball out of defence, gets into trouble on the left and despite my screams of "Kick it out!" he tries to play it up the line with his left foot, straight to their winger who crossed, a scramble ensued and it was eventually finished off, like last week giving me no chance. He argued that "it was on my left foot, what could I do?" Told him to next time just pass it over the sideline. Throw in would have been better than what resulted this time. We continued to be on top, missing a few more until 1 nice move brought last week's opening scorer through on goal to make it 2-1. Another through ball right on half time resulted in a poor challenge from behind giving us a penalty, and a 3-1 half time lead. From the amount of chances we had, it could and perhaps should have been at least 7-1 and game over by now.

So the 2nd half began and our half time sub striker, had 2 goals in quick succession to kill the game off. It was one way traffic from then on. Their keeper made a few saves, we missed plenty more chances, but finished off 4 more, that sub clinching his hatrick and Japanese afro guy grabbing a 2nd. They created a few openings too. Had me beaten from 1 shot that hit the bar, and towards the end I was forced into a good low full stretch save, pushing the ball around the post 1 handed, and a couple of crosses to claim to at least feel like I'd done something in a pretty quiet game for me lol
Things almost got ugly right on full time when someone had a go at our centre back for no apparent reason. "I'll break your f**king legs" were the words I heard from where I was, and unfortunately this was our 1 guy who reacts to these things so he retaliated with something and someone else ran in from behind and pushed him, but that was fortunately about the extent of it as players calmed down realising the pointlessness of it all.

So 2 wins and 15 goals in 2 games. Looks like we are going to be way too good for this league, and we'll probably win most games. We were initially put in a lower division, but the coach complained to club as we would have been way to good for it so they got us moved up a couple, but still looks like we should be a couple further higher. But these guys did lose 7-1 last week too so I guess they must be the worst team and perhaps Waiheke who beat them last week are quite reasonable.

Having no markings on the pitch was very annoying though. I could never tell where I was standing without having to turn around and check where the goal was etc. Usually I'm near the edge of the box if we are attacking or standing somewhere to narrow the angle etc if defending, and I usually use the edge of the penalty area and the D to judge how far from the goal I am and whereabouts I am. Couldn't do that today, and the couple of times they got a break, I was having to frantically check where the goal was behind me and then get into a good position etc.

Result: 9-1 Win
Personal Peformance: Sufficient. Did all I had to despite the 1 dodgy moment at the start where I didn't quite have my bearings in terms of where the penalty area was, and 1 other hairy moment with the ball at feet (well, I am a goalkeeper! lol). 1 pretty good save.

Report on the same day as the event. Take note Neil Wink
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 April 21, 2007, 12:07 PM ] IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 12:02 PM »

Two mighty results so far.  shocking Well done and thanks, Alex.  clap
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #20 on: April 21, 2007, 12:42 PM »

So you gotta be top after that one!  Well Done, but it's nothing without a clean sheet! lol
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #21 on: April 22, 2007, 12:28 AM »

True Frown
But it will come.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #22 on: April 22, 2007, 12:39 AM »

Results all in from yesterday which is very quick.
Waiheke who beat our opposition from yesterday 7-1 last week lost 5-1. So their opposition should at least be a reasonable team. Team we beat 6-2 last week had a 3-3 draw, and the other results were 3-2 and 3-0.
Still plenty of goals flying in then.
Our result has not gone in yet for some reason, but when it does we will be top. 7 goals ahead on goal difference.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 01:35 PM »

Our result has gone into the website as 6-1 unfortunately so have texted the coach to tell him I noticed it so he can get onto whoever can get it corrected.
Next weekend we are playing the team who beat Waiheke 5-1 on Saturday so looking forward to hopefully our first proper "match." A quick browse seems to suggest that my team, of which I was not part of, played this team last season and beat them 5-2 the first time and lost 3-0 the 2nd time. Or at least a team from my club which I'm fairly certain was my team did.
IP Logged
Coldmarek
Top Seed

Andy Murray is better than you.

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 06:50 AM »

Great,Saturday I couldnt play my match,because I have been ill
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 07:33 AM »

Tomorrow is a public holiday here (ANZAC Day), and instead of our usual Wednesday Training we have a midweek friendly against my brother's school 1st 11. Should be interesting. Played in teams with my brother before and in fact he has filled in for us off the bench in the 1st 2 games this season but never played against him before. I'll never ever hear the end of it if he scores. Thank god he's going to be playing at left back.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #26 on: April 26, 2007, 11:23 AM »

25/04/2007 - Midweek Friendly
Opposition: Howick College 1st 11
Venue: Home
Kickoff: 1.00pm
Weather: Glorious and hot

Not an awful lot to report really.
My brother started at left back and they were apparently quite full of themselves, sure they were going to thrash us in fact.
lol Then no more than 90 seconds in we found ourselves 2-0 up having converted from our 1st 2 times in possession of the ball and that ended the match as a contest. As it was their first game together, they decided to divide the game into 4 20 minute quarters.
It was too easy. 4-0 after the first quarter killed them, and it ended 9-0. We should have had 15 perhaps but really took the foot off the gas and didnt over exert ourselves after the 1st quarter, given it was just a meaningless friendly taking place of our usual training.
My brother was probably their best player tbh. Only defender who had any clue, and he made one amazing clearance off the line which forced him off injured in the final quarter.
Pretty quiet game for me, only 1 half decent stop of any note from a free kick, but a clean sheet all the same.

They have reason to be quite worried ahead of their first game of the season. 1st round of the schools knockout cup and unfortunately they are away at one of the top 3 football schools in the country. 20-0 at least IMO.

Result: 9-0 Win
Personal Peformance: Meh. Did what I had to which wasn't an awful lot. Virtual spectator.

Should be our first real tester on Saturday though as we are playing the other team who have won their first 2 games, with last weekend being a 5-1 over the team who beat our last week's opposition (who we beat 9-1) 7-1. Looking forward to it.
And it took a few days but our result from the weekend has at last been corrected on the website today.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 April 26, 2007, 11:24 AM ] IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #27 on: April 26, 2007, 02:15 PM »

Good Luck!
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #28 on: April 28, 2007, 12:40 PM »

28/04/2007 - Game 3
Opposition: Metro
Venue: Home
Kickoff: 2.45pm
Weather: Sunnyt and hot, then Atrocious then calm

Started out a hot and sunny day and that was how it kicked off. Not long into the first half the skies opened up and we had conditions much like in game 1. Awful wind and rain and we were playing against it. By the start of the 2nd half, rain had cleared up and there was a hint of sun. That's typical Auckland for you. You can easily have all 4 seasons in an hour on any day at any time of year.

So anyway this was expected to be a tough match, and my team (which I did not play for last year, as I was with a different team) apparently played these guys last year and won once and lost the other one. Straight from the kickoff, from the first time they had possession of the ball and passed it around I could see that this was a team who had some idea, unlike the previous teams we had played, and this was going to be a tight match.
Still as we have done in the previous matches, we quickly went 1-0 up inside the first 5 minutes. Nice through ball from 1 striker, for last week's hatrick scorer to run onto, round the keeper and finish it off.
After that though, it was all them. They had most of the ball and created chances, and shortly after the goal I was forced into my first real piece of action. Ball over the top, misjudged by the centre back for their striker to run onto and volley, I made a good block from close range and managed to gather the rebound before anyone got there. They created a few more openings and hit the post once, while I had to claim a few crosses, and slide out for a few through balls etc. We held on for 1-0 at half time, which I thought was a great effort against those conditions, and with them seemingly tiring, I thought we'd be able to get back on top in the 2nd half and maybe even claim a first clean sheet.

It all turned to disaster however. Early on, their right winger beat our left back out wide, put in a low cross, and an unmarked player at the far post finishes it off easily. We get back into the game and create a couple of half chances, until disaster strikes again. A long through ball, the guy runs onto it, and beats me for 1-2. He was miles offside however, but with noone running the line coupled with their guy reffing this half, the goal was given. People on the sideline said afterwards that it was miles offside, and certainly looked it to me, but that's how it goes sometimes. They start to get on top again and I make a couple of good stops including one where our captain was completely bamboozled on the edge of the area and I rushed out quickly to block the guy's effort, taking much of the force of his kick on the knee which left me in pain for a while. About 10 minutes of shaking my leg and hopping on the spot shook off the knock, fortunately wasn't called into any spectacular action in that time. We were then all over them, creating chance after chance. Their keeper made several fine saves, and then their right winger suddenly beats our left back again, puts in exactly the same cross, no defenders in sight and finished off again by an unmarked player at the far post. Exactly the same goal twice and I go beserk at the defence for leaving players unmarked yet again.

Still we make a good go of it in the last 15 minutes, our scorer grabs his 2nd and makes it 2-3 with about 10 minutes to go, and it was all us from then on. Had our chances to level it with the keeper again getting in the way, including 1 amazing stop from point blank range, although it was probably helped by a poor finish from the position the guy was in. We couldn't find the equaliser and inn the final minute they got a breakway which led to me making another fine high diving save to force a corner which ate up the remaining seconds.
Disappointing result, and we had more than enough chances to win, or at the very least draw the game, but it wasn't to be today.
Theiry guy who was the 2nd half ref was an arsehole however. Several very bad decisions given their way, and that's not an excuse as I wouldn't usually say that about a ref. I even shouted at him twice which is pretty rare for me, and he replied back with some bull**** each time.

Anyway, despite the result I quite enjoyed the game. Maybe it's a bit strange for a keeper to say he enjoys playing a good team, but I much prefer games like this one where I'm involved a lot, and to have won this game would certainly have felt better than the previous 6-2 and 9-1 and 9-0 results. Thrashings like that are nice, but not much fun when it's every week. A tight 1-0 or 2-1 win against a tough team will always feel much more satisfying, and as a goalkeeper, chances are in those results you will feel as though you contributed to the result much more than with a 9-0. Hope for a few more games like today's, with the result going the other way of course.

Result: 2-3 Loss
Personal Peformance: Good. String of good saves and everyone complimented my performance after the game. Wasn't enough however.

IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member « Reply #29 on: April 28, 2007, 12:47 PM »

Unlucky Alex.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »