Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Sports Talk  >  A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member - 2008 Season 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Reply
Author

A Football Season In The Life Of A Murraysworld Member - 2008 Season

(Read 3305 times)
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Apologies for the lack of recent match reports. Been very busy and I've forgotten about it. It's probably obvious they were not worth posting about anyway!

I can't write any reasonable match report about the last 2 games now so I'll just mention the goals briefly.

The next game after the midweek one was at home against Three Kings Gomez. It was a pretty ordinary first half from both sides, although we probably had the better of it. On about half an hour I raced out of the box to clear a through ball. It went just over half way and our left winger made no attempt to win it in there air, so the ball came straight back down our end, defender allowed a bounce and the striker got through to score a pretty good finish. We hit back 5 minutes later. Great ball across from the right and our left back appeared at the far post to become an unlikely scorer. 1-1 at half time but then they went ahead early in the 2nd half with an unmarked header. From then on it was all us but it just wouldn't go in until a freak equaliser 15 minutes from time. It was a ball over the top from 40 yards out, the keeper completely lost it in the sun so got nowehere near it and it bounced over him and in. It is of course being described as a "40 yard screamer" by the scorer! Game should have been ours from there but we proceeded to blow it. A free kick floated into the box, and I was faced with 4 unmarked players lining up to score. One of them did and 2-3 was how it finished. Really disappointing result because they were crap. Sigh.

Next game was against Otahuhu, the bottom side who had not won yet. We were all over them in the first half but as usual spurned too many chances and only went in 1-0 up. Played against a strong wind in the 2nd half and sure enough they equalised not too far in. We did manage to regain the lead only to concede again in the final minute for a really shattering and poor 2-2 draw. How we did not win by 3 or 4 goals I don't know. Season is in ruins now with relegation as the 2nd bottom side looking likely. It will need an incredibly improved 2nd half of the season to finish in a respectable position.

One bizarre thing from the latest match was the guy cooking a 'Hangi' just 5 metres behind the goal I was in in the 2nd half! A hangi is a traditional Maori way of cooking food in a pit in the ground. Made for an interesting team talk. "Take plenty of shots and watch out for the hangi pit." roflmao

Got the number 1 pitch tomorrow again, so let's hope for a better outing.

[ Last edit by invisibleman18 May 30, 2008, 09:57 AM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Well this has got incredibly slack hasn't it? Whistle
With interviews and studying for exams I have completely forgotten to do it. I'll do my best to report on the last 3 games.

31/05/2008 - Game 9
Opposition: Ellerslie
Venue: Home
Kickoff: 1.00pm
Weather: Calm

We got the number 1 pitch again for this one so was looking forward to it. There hasn't been a lot of commitment with turning up to trainings in recent weeks so after a terrible run of results leaving morale down and with Ellerslie being one of the top teams, hopes were not high and they were even lower very quickly. Almost straight from the kickoff their winger got down our right side, put in a cross which was missed by 1 defender and an unmarked player finished well from the penalty spot 0-1 before we knew what hit us. Less than a minute later their left winger was in again. This time he cut into the box unchallenged and I made a reasonable block down to my right. I thought this was looking like a bad hiding was the cards, but to our credit we responded well. They had much of the possession but we started to string some passes together and within 10 minutes we were amazingly level. Our striker managed to squeeze his way through 2 defenders and fired into the roof of the net. It was a much more even game after that. Real midfield battle with not many chances. On about 30 minutes their left winger was in the clear once more (we were having a real torrid time on our right!) and this time he sent in a cross and to my horror it was heading straight onto the head on an unmarked player about 10 yards out. Our left back had not tracked him and was nowhere to be seen. I was never really going to get there but I had to go and challenge and try my best to get a touch. Alas he got his head to it and I went straight through him cutting him in half, unintentionally of course. Fortunately there was no injury but unfortunately the ball ended up in the net.

The 2nd half came and we started to get on top. Chances came but we just couldn't find a goal. Eventually they scored a 3rd to kill it off. For the life of me I cannot remember it at all or even when it came, I just know it finished 3-1. lol

Result: 3-1 Loss
Personal Performance: OK. 1 save early on but hung out to dry a bit with the first 2 goals. With the exception of the Bay Olympic game, the 2nd half was probably the best we have played all season. They were easily the best team we have played and should go close to winning the league. I think we'd have beaten anyone else in the league playing like that.

So that's the first half of the season over. It's been fairly poor. Started well with a good win over Manurewa and we then destroyed Western Springs and should have won by several goals, only to blow it late on and draw 1-1. Of the losses, only really Metro and Ellerlise outplayed us. The losses to Eastern Suburbs and Three Kings Gomez and the draw with Otahuhu were low points as they were both very average and we played appallingly in both games while Otahuhu are the worst team in the league by miles. Bay Olympic was certainly the high point both personally and for the team and I'm annoyed that it's that return game next weekend that I'll have to miss due to an exam. ranting
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 June 18, 2008, 11:32 AM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

07/06/2008 - Game 10
Opposition: Manurewa
Venue: Home
Weather: Windy

So onto the 2nd half of the season then. We beat this lot 5-1 in the first game of the season and they were about level with us on the table so it was a good chance to kickstart our season. We started out on top and scored first. Can't remember the goal unfortunately. It was a fairly even game after that and they equalised on about 30 minutes after one of their strikers got into the box and fired into the roof of the net. Strangely that's all I can remember of the first half. 1-1 at half time.\

2nd half came and it was all us. Chances came and about 15 minutes in our striker was one-on-one and made it 2-1 with his 2nd of the game. A minute later a great through ball out to our left winger followed by a first time ball across the box gave a tap in for our striker's hattrick for 3-1. We weren't finished there. 2 minutes later we were in again. More good work on the left resulted in our unmarked right winger finishing off a cross for 4-1. It was incredible. 3 goals in about 5 minutes with some of the best football I've ever witnessed from a team I've played in. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
They started to press and with about 20 minutes to go they pulled one back. Spurred on by this they got another a few minutes later from a long throw in and a shot through crowded bodies that I didn't see until it was past me. So this setup a very nervy ending. And fortunately with about 7 minutes to go our striker was in again, rounding the keeper for his 4th and a 5-3 win.

Result: 5-3 Win
Personal Performance: Tidy but no real save of any note.

Sometimes I remember whole games years later but stranegly just a week and half after this one I really can't remember anything other than the goals. And even a couple of them were guess work and the order of them (ie, which one the winger scored) is quite possible wrong. lol
Anyway good start to the 2nd half of the season.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

14/06/2008 - Game 11
Opposition: Western Springs Choppers
Venue: Away
Weather: Windy

There isn't really that much of any note to say about this game. Just like the home game against them, we dominated and should have had it killed off by half time. Alas we only went in 1-0 up through our striker who is on a good run of scoring form now. Think I had only touched the ball 2 or 3 times. There was one dodgy moment in the first few minutes. I came out to collect a ball on the edge of the box, called for it and for some reason our right back runs across to pass it back to me almost sending it past me! I did quite well to stretch out my left foot to stop it and then clear the danger. lol

So the 2nd half came and inevitably we found ourselves level despite the domination. From a long throw in our left back only managed to glance a head into our box and one of their strikers turned and hit a pretty good shot into the far top corner. At this moment I pretty much gave up hope of getting a clean sheet this season. Defence just makes too many errors and the oppositions seem good enough to capitalise on them. This game was one of the best chances. Anyway it was still all us but it looked like a 2nd just wasn't going to come. With about 20 minutes to go we lost the matchball! There was some sort of river some way behind the pitch and a shot went miles high and wide and out into the water. lol
Unfortunately it was our ball too. 3rd matchball we have lost this season now! The previous 2 both went onto the road and got run over by buses at different trainings. roflmao
Don't know why we were playing with ours anyway. Usually the home team would supply the matchball. Anyway, it was replaced with theirs and the game continued. Finally the 2nd goal came with about 10 minutes to go with our striker firing in off the post from a corner for his 2nd of the game. Inevitably though, another defensive error let them in with a couple  of minutes remaining. 1 defender let the ball go over his head, while 2 others failed to track the striker, both leaving him for each other and he finished off his one-on-one chance well.

Result: 2-2 Draw
Personal Performance: Meh. Didn't really do anything apart from pick the ball out of the net twice. Think I caught one cross and that's about it.

Incredibly disappointing result. Just like the first game against the, we should have won by 4 or 5 goals and blew it late on with a poxy equaliser. Some of the guys were saying afterwards that this lot is their bogey team. For the last 3 or 4 years they've battered them everytime but never seem to beat them.

Right now it's up to date I will try and get back into positing shortly after the games.
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

An up to date table perhaps?
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Indeed. Should have got it last night when I posted.

So obviously a top 3 finish is out of the question but with a good 2nd half of the season there's no reason why we can't finish 4th-6th which wouldn't be too bad after just coming up. Really surprised that Three Kings Gomez are that high though. Three Kings Elk-Hider coming up this weekend.
2 teams have a game less as their match was abandoned. I did hear why but can't fully remember. I think it was to do with a bad injury.
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

2 up 2 down is it?

Edit: Maybe I should post about my tennis season lol

* table 19th June.JPG (21.33 KB, 416x162 - viewed 113 times.)
[ Last edit by nkp2 June 19, 2008, 12:47 AM ] IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

Yes it's usually 2 up 2 down, but last season Western Springs Choppers finished 5th but have also been promoted along with us and Metro. But I suppose it can also depend on teams pulling out and new teams entering etc. The team I played for last season finished 3rd behind Carlsberg and Metro in the division below so ahead of the Choppers. But my previous team doesn't exist anymore (hence the move) and from the look of it neither does the team who finished 4th so perhaps they needed to bring one more up to complete this division.

So usually it would be 2 up and 2 down but that can change if new teams enter and teams who were there last year don't enter again. Teams may also decide not to go up and stay where they are. I know about 1 other team from my club a few divisions higher who won their league last year but asked to stay in the same division this year rather than go up because they most of them had work commitments and couldn't take it too seriously.
[ Last edit by invisibleman18 June 19, 2008, 02:18 AM ] IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Yes it's usually 2 up 2 down, but last season Western Springs Choppers finished 5th but have also been promoted along with us and Metro. But I suppose it can also depend on teams pulling out and new teams entering etc. The team I played for last season finished 3rd behind Carlsberg and Metro in the division below so ahead of the Choppers. But my previous team doesn't exist anymore (hence the move) and from the look of it neither does the team who finished 4th so perhaps they needed to bring one more up to complete this division.

So usually it would be 2 up and 2 down but that can change if new teams enter and teams who were there last year don't enter again.

Yeah, same everywhere.

Do you like my tennis table? woop woop! Very Happy
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.

Which team are you on again?
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

If you mean me, then the one that's highlights in the above table. Although your probably mean Neil, in which case I believe he is Newport. Hence his pride at the table. lol

Do you like my tennis table? woop woop! Very Happy

Looking good so far. How many matches are there in the season? Play each team twice?
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

Yeah I know who you play for... Neil didn't highlight anything on his table though, so I was confused.
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Yeah 10 games.

Just played tonight and won 7.5-1.5 against second top Broughty. Awesome match. I hit 10 aces I think. Lost count it was so good! Very Happy

Came back from 6-2 down in a tiebreak to win it 8-6 and came back from 5-0 down in the last set of the night, after we had already wrapped up the match, to win in another tie break 7-6. Awesome.
IP Logged
davidB
John McEnroe

Wow! Way to play under pressure! I've only been able to save match points and win three times in my playing history...
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Yeah I know who you play for... Neil didn't highlight anything on his table though, so I was confused.

Sorry, I used to have my location on the left hand side! Will need to fix that and put it back! lol
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »